Home Technical Talk

Can't seem to get multi-sub objects to work

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Wesley polycounter lvl 13
Hey folks, I've now followed a couple of different tutorials for multi-sub object materials/objects and I can't seem to get it to work. The latest, most sensible method I've gone through:

Create my object in 3ds Max.
Assign material ID to the polys.
Create dummy and link object to dummy.
Export geo by adding the dummy to the exporter list.
Create multi-sub material, with Standard materials using the Crytek shader.
Create the material in CryENGINE using the create material button in the CryExporter thing.

The multi-sub material is created fine.
The geo is exported.

But when the material is applied to the geo it always default to the first slot no matter what.

I've tried both a single mesh with different material IDs and two separate meshes with different IDs parented to the same dummy. Neither work.

Anything I'm missing here?

Replies

• |MM|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The steps you take seem alright.

Make sure the ID are actually applied, change the colors for the materials in 3ds max to check this.

Make sure that in CE3 you apply the parent material not a sub material.

Check if your material works fine with other geometry, and your if your geometry works fine with other materials.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah, I'm really at a loss then. The ID changes have definitely been applied and I'm definitely applying the parent material in CE3. It really seems like when I export geometry it just doesn't take into account the different IDs.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, well I loaded in the "first_prop" asset from the third Eat3D Introduction DVD; and when I apply the multi-sub material it works fine.

I've double checked the material ID on the objects in Max, so clearly it's something that's going wrong when I export.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay, if I export just the geo, not using a Dummy, it works. No idea why a Dummy breaks it.
  • Pesmo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This is a bit late but I was experiencing the same problem and came across this forum. So for anyone out there who did the same as me. The way I fixed it was in 3ds max the cry 3 engine exporter utility tool there is a check box that says "merge all nodes" just below the export nodes button. Make sure this is checked and that should resolve your problem. Good luck to whomever is reading this
  • metrons
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i find this sometimes a problem( havent had happen for a while now though) i created a google doc with my steps so i can avoid any export issues. maybe this can help?

Open Material Editor
    click on an empty slot
    change multi sub object
    apply to object
    set sub number for material
    click material set standard change to crytek
    rename materil copy material to other slot

set opacity proxy 50% rename proxy
    proxy turn on physicalize, physical proxy (no draw)