Home Technical Talk

Mudbox 2013 problems and features

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
Problems:

The new Plane Primitive in Mudbox 2013 has different uvs now. before there was no padding on the Uvs. I wonder if this is a bug or intentionally made this way. It could pose a big problem for baking tilable textures or textures in general. Im wondering if anybody is running into this. Somewhere along the way it messed up my mudbox 2012 plane too, now Im fukked lol.

The new select uv shells is semi useful, the selection does not transfer in flatten uv mode to unflatten mode. And when u select the uv shells, it does not reflect in the UV view, making it kinda flawed.

Useful Features:

The new Curve system is very useful as the curve actually follows the mesh and you can set the amount of snap to curve.

The new viewcube is very useful saves the time to have to access the object list to cycle through the camera angles. being able to go to perspective orthographic makes it good for painting, causes less distortion on angled surface when projection painting.

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    i have yet to try it.. but i was glad to see the viewcube, strange as that may sound :D
  • fr0gg1e
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fr0gg1e polycounter lvl 17
    Use the tiling plane for painting / sculpting tilable textures (it's in the create menu and not present in the default mesh list).

I believe if you unhide the tiling plane,s target (it's hidden by default when you create a tiling plane) you have a perfectly mapped plane. You can always export it as a plane OBJ and use that / import it whenever you want to paint / sculpt on a perfectly mapped plane, altho I am not sure if Mud is handling that particular mesh differently than the rest because Mud loves his padding for most things.

Hope it helps!
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Problems:

The new Plane Primitive in Mudbox 2013 has different uvs now. before there was no padding on the Uvs.

the standard plane never used the full uv space... double checked in mud 2011...

i use the select uv shell a lot... and to avoid the loss of the selection i paint on a second plane i imported (100% uv space)... this also works for curves...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PQ7TFGQgdM"]mudbox 2013 paint hints - YouTube[/ame]
  • rostamiani
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi
    I cannot run Mudbox 2013 on my Asus N53SV Laptop :

VGA : Intel + Nvidia Geforce GT540M using Nvidia Optimus

This is the error message:

Mudbox requires ATI or NVIDIA graphics.
    Please click on this link: Certified Hardware for more information.
    Exiting.
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mudbox 2013 doesnt play nice with my intuos4.. pretty much everything needs to be double clicked :(
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mudbox 2013 works ok for painting, but sculpting performance is almost unusable. 100k tris and up just destroys the framerate, where as I can get 4mil in the ancient Mudbox v1
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    Mudbox 2013 works ok for painting, but sculpting performance is almost unusable. 100k tris and up just destroys the framerate, where as I can get 4mil in the ancient Mudbox v1

i have no problems with a 30mio quad char... but there are strange things goin on... you are not the only one with poor performance....
    do you have the same slowdowns if you use no symmetry or "not" local mirror...?
  • pinkbox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well after playing round it seems setting my tablet to Pen Mode fixes the issue.

When in Mouse mode (what i've always used and become used to) it appears that the tablet/pen cant recognise that its not over the viewport and treats all the menu items as the viewport. Right click and the hotbox pops over the menus..

Other problems I've had in the past with mouse mode was having to set the steadystroke to on but at 0 for the brush stroke to sculpt under the cursor..

Im hoping a hotfix will fix this viewport error as it seems to have come about only because of the new customizable layout (which i dont even customize :( )
  • onionhead_o
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    onionhead_o polycounter lvl 16
    having seams in edge highlight map extracted from mudbox 2013 sp2 using ambient occlusion map following Choco's tutorial.

Seam_problem.jpg

Top_part_edge_highlight2__u1_v1.jpg