Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Brown Bess Musket - help needed

Hey everyone. So I'm on a team at school in game wizards. For our project i've been tasked with modeling a musket rifle. I picked the brown bess musket and here is what i have so far. I need some help with my unwrapping and how to optimize my topology. What I did was make each individual piece in max before bringing it all into zbrush. The low is just all those pieces attached together. It's only 3.2k polys atm. For the unwrap i basically did each element by itself (usually flatten mapping it) and then patch things up.

render02-1.jpg

render03-3.jpg

render01-3.jpg

Let me know what else would be needed for better critiques/advice.

Replies

• Moosebish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moosebish polycounter lvl 12
    Go ahead and upload the UV maps too so that we can check out what the unwraps look like, its hard to tell how you did it by just looking at the wire frames..

But as it is right now, it doesn't look horrid..
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    Images are too small, mind uploading more hi-rez ones? So far, it looks you simply 'scratched and painted' the wear and tear effect wherever there are extrusions (such as the flint lock parts, etc) which looks cheap.

Also, near the bolted part of the handle, the normals look bent.

So yeah, UV's, texture sheets and higher rez images plox.
  • Sebeuroc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sebeuroc polycounter lvl 13
    What the other guys said. Also, from what I can see here it looks like your spec map (and probably lighting) could use some work. The brass/gold metal is blowing out and the wood doesn't look like it has much spec at all.