Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio] – Oskar Stålberg, 3D/technical artist

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
St4lis polycounter lvl 7
So yeah, its time for me to ask all you good people for some feedback on my portfolio.

Im a student at The Game Assembly in Malmö, Sweden, and I am looking for internship as a Technical Artist or a 3D Artist during the period august 2012 to april 2013.

There is still some additional content to be added. Id also like to know what you think about the layout, design and functionality of the site.

Be honest and give me your worst!

PORTFOLIO LINK

Replies

• cmc444
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cmc444 polycounter lvl 11
    Very neat and well organized. I like the clean colors and focus on the work.
  • Tiraldric
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Love it. Clean, gets to the point, aesthetically pleasing.

The only real critique I can offer is pretty nit-picky.

I'd like to see your breakdowns in the slot closer to the beginning if I'm moving left to right. I appreciate the different angle shots, but I'd much prefer to see your uvw/texture breakdowns sooner rather then later.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    Love your work dude. Your site is being saved in my inspiration folder.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    loving the RTS stuff, graphics feel very Trine inspired!
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    Great work! I looked through your site for a while it was easy to navigate and lots of interesting work!
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    thanks everyone. Im glad the format is easy to navigate, that was my greatest concern.

i added post with some stuff from our space shooter project:

astroDroids_screenshot3.jpg

Our deadline for the porfolio is in two weeks, and I will try and get some more work up there before that.
  • HughieDM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HughieDM polycounter lvl 7
    fun and cool looking shooter!
    Could you do a little more in depth tutorial on how you did those backgrounds I would love to see how you did those awesome cube maps.
  • StevenEgan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StevenEgan polycounter lvl 9
    Cool website. Very clean. I noticed a spelling error on the "4K 3D screen" of the cambot. You have "enyoying" instead of enjoying.

Anyway, nice site.
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Love it! Really love the 2d game, id love to play that!
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    StevenEgan wrote: »
    Cool website. Very clean. I noticed a spelling error on the "4K 3D screen" of the cambot. You have "enyoying" instead of enjoying.

Anyway, nice site.

Thanks! I would never notice that myself, so thats really helpful.
    HughieDM wrote: »
    fun and cool looking shooter!
    Could you do a little more in depth tutorial on how you did those backgrounds I would love to see how you did those awesome cube maps.

Thanks, it was really fun doing those. Im afraid i wont have time for a deeper tutorial for at least the next two weeks, as we have a lot of heavy deadlines coming up. But ill consider making one later - I love to show and explain all the neat tricks i learn and develop.

And thanks to the rest of you! I feel much more comfortable about the site now, and hope my future employers will enjoy it as much as you did.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Really nice work dude! So I guess you're applying to Massive? :)
  • KarlWrang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KarlWrang polycounter lvl 6
    Solid portfolio dude!
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Really love how many different skill sets you have shows how useful you can be awesome stuff! also very clean and clear :D
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Really nice work dude! So I guess you're applying to Massive? :)

I sure will be!
    Oranghe wrote: »
    Really love how many different skill sets you have shows how useful you can be awesome stuff! also very clean and clear :D

thanks. Thats exactly what I want to convey, so I'm glad that shows.

Hopefully I will get some additional tech stuff up there as well, for example a set of Photoshop actions for structuring the texture work, automatically exporting all maps, converting height->normals at each export and stuff like that.
  • jeremiah_bigley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jeremiah_bigley polycounter lvl 12
    Damn man. Just wanted to say that you really got some solid work out of your school. Not trying to credit your school 100% for the awesomeness, but this is the first portfolio I have seen with this much functional art. Awesome work man.

Outside of the work, your website feels a little loose. Almost like a blog... And this could be personal taste but I wish the work that was related to each other was grouped a little tighter.

Amazing work man.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Dont forget to apply for an internship across the water at us at Io Interactive :)
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    Damn man. Just wanted to say that you really got some solid work out of your school. Not trying to credit your school 100% for the awesomeness, but this is the first portfolio I have seen with this much functional art. Awesome work man.

Outside of the work, your website feels a little loose. Almost like a blog... And this could be personal taste but I wish the work that was related to each other was grouped a little tighter.

Amazing work man.

Thanks. Yeah, to make it trough our school you basically have to produce games and 3D every wake hour of the day for two years.

About the looseness, I must say I agree with you. It looked structured in the beginning, when I only had 3-4 posts, but it has come to look quite chaotic as I've added more content. I've been thinking about making a start page with big horizontal images that links to sub-pages for each post. But then id lose the advantage of having all content available directly at the front page, and you would have to click around more to navigate the site.

Dont forget to apply for an internship across the water at us at Io Interactive :)

Sure! You guys will show up for our Meet And Greet the 16th of April, I'll talk to you then!
  • St4lis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    St4lis polycounter lvl 7
    I've added another post to my portfolio

You guys have been so nice to me and given me great feedback, so I wondered if you could take a look at this particular piece. Its an actions system for photoshop that Ive developed to speed up texturing and to automate some stuff. Its currently used by 13/20 classmates here at The Game Assembly, and has been greatly appriciated. Id like to know what your think about the presentation and the video and if the message comes across.

Thanks a ton.
  • Andrew_Sovetkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andrew_Sovetkin polycounter lvl 7