Home General Discussion

[Yet another remake] Total Recall

polygon
Offline / Send Message
schneller polygon
I don't know if anyone has seen this yet, but I stumbled across this teaser trailer today:

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/totalrecall/

To be honest I was kind of surprised (although I guess I shouldn't be). Just not the same without Arnie!

Replies

• slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I knew they were making this for a looong time. the cast is all-star. I hope its amazing
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    Ah gotcha - I guess I was under a rock or something ;) I hope it's good as well, although I wasn't too impressed with the last couple Underworld movies.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Of course it's not gonna be the same without Arnie, and that's a good thing! Total Recall is based on a short story made by Philip K Dick, the guy who wrote the book that inspired Blade Runner, it's not supposed to be a simple action movie with Arnie lines.
    I don't know what to expect from this though, the vistas look amazing and the movie seems cool but it's too early to get my hopes up/be disappointed.
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    I actually never knew what Total Recall was based on until seeing this news. I'll definitely have to add that to my reading list!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    A loose interpretation of a loose interpretation of a Philip K. Dick story. I can't watch the trailer right now but I don't have high hopes. In a perfect world, Ridley Scott would direct it and make it like Blade Runner (yes, that takes liberties with the source too) - since most of Dick's works feel like they exist in the same shared world.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    @Will: Please do, it's not very long and it's pretty interesting in true Dick style.
    @Justin: Yeah, I feel that too. The whole trailer is actually exactly like I pictured 'Our friends from Frolix 8's universe would be. There is even a clip in the teaser where they drop with their hover car and it reminded me a lot of a part in 'Frolix 8'.
  • Rabbid_Cheeze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great tech/art, as is to be expected. But at the same time, isn't it still taking place on Mars, aka the red planet? Where's the red? Its all so blue and silver, like any other generic sci-fi movie that takes place on earth :(
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    That Trailer Trailer had BAWWWWNNNGGGGGSS and People-Jumping-Down-while-Bending-at-the-knees!! Looks really pretty, even though they were not interested in being creative with the trailer trailer.

see you at the party richter!!!!!
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    All-star cast? Colin Farrell and Kate Beckinsale? Their past films/roles have been terrible.

I think this one's going to be another ruinous mess. Some of the environments in the trailer look great, but I have no hope for this being anything but disappointing.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Great tech/art, as is to be expected. But at the same time, isn't it still taking place on Mars, aka the red planet? Where's the red? Its all so blue and silver, like any other generic sci-fi movie that takes place on earth :(

The original story never went to Mars
  • schneller
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    schneller polygon
    You all have raised valid points and have had astute observations from the "trailer trailer". However, I propose the quality of this loose remake will be directly proportional to the number of breasts on the mutant women.
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    Bryan Cranston? that sounds exciting!
  • fill3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fill3r polycounter lvl 12
    I'm staying optimistic. I'll end up seeing it for the effects and environments alone... and there's the rub.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Am I alone in thinking they missed the point?

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the 1990 Total Recall was awesome because of its sense of humor. 3-boobed chick, mutants, Schwarzenegger on Mars, etc. And I bet it was that way for a lot of other people.

But this thing seems to go down a very serious route, which makes it very hard to then take seriously because it's such a fluff story (assuming it's the same story as the first one). Just seems really odd to me.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    @BigJohn: Didn't the movie become that way mostly because Schwarzenegger was involved? I mean Running man isn't a fun story either. It's a serious story about a man and his dying sick child from what I hear.
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3 boobs or gtfo
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    3 boobs or gtfo

^
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman wrote: »
    @BigJohn: Didn't the movie become that way mostly because Schwarzenegger was involved? I mean Running man isn't a fun story either. It's a serious story about a man and his dying sick child from what I hear.

Probably. But I'm not talking about staying true to the original material. I'm just talking about making an entertaining movie.
  • Fid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fid
    I can see this film being surprisingly good, just a shame they had to reboot under the exact same title.
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well the teaser looks promising, will wait for the trailer to see if I could be persuaded to not wait to see this first on DVD...
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Well. I'm not a fan of remade classics. This does look awesome and I'm looking forward to seeing it.

But I can tell you right now that it won't be as good as the original......imo.

EDIT: You can probably count out any triple breast action as well. It'll be a 12a rated movie...
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    3 boobs or gtfo
    They probably will cut that part out, but yea I hope It will be at least good.:poly122:.
    Fid wrote: »
    I can see this film being surprisingly good, just a shame they had to reboot under the exact same title.

They are erasing the past!
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    if it doesnt have this then I dont care:
    HOT_FACE.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1233730316807
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    14.gif

Open your mind guis!
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    embedding doesn't work : [

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaaf_9TqPL8"]Total Recall In Your Eyes - YouTube[/ame]
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    Am I alone in thinking they missed the point?

I don't know about anyone else, but for me, the 1990 Total Recall was awesome because of its sense of humor. 3-boobed chick, mutants, Schwarzenegger on Mars, etc. And I bet it was that way for a lot of other people.

But this thing seems to go down a very serious route, which makes it very hard to then take seriously because it's such a fluff story (assuming it's the same story as the first one). Just seems really odd to me.

To be honest, the Arnold movie was NOTHING like Philip K Dick's story at all.
    This one looks way more truer and much more what it was SUPPOSED to be. Remember that this is the same author that wrote the story that inspired BladeRunner; so its meant to be full of depth and metaphors.

However, if you want satire you can always just watch the arnie one..
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point. I thought of it more of a remake of the 1990 one rather than a retelling of the original story. Never occurred to me that it was supposed to be a deep story. Just thought they're trying to cash in on the remake bandwagon.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    granted "We Can Remember it for you Wholesale" isn't super deep, it's kind of a short story with a punchline.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Reading the Empire article, they've taken it in a very different direction to either the story or the Arnie film. For my money, this is a much better direction for the Hollywood remakes to take if they must be made, rather that the straight ahead remake that can only ever be contrasted against the almost invariably superior original films. Why bother doing a film again if you're going to cover the same ground?

Leaving the cheesyness and oneliners to the original movie (not to mention everything involving Mars, real or imagined) gives an actual reason to take a look at this remake is all about. I'm at least a little intrigued to see how this business about the elevator through the centre of the earth fits into the basic framework of the narrative.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Full trailer is up. Looks a bit naff, but are a few hints that make me suspect it could well just be a poorly constructed trailer. That bouncing around the room camera work in the first fight scene looks pretty ridiculous though.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GljhR5rk5eY"]TOTAL RECALL - Official Trailer - In Theaters August 3rd - YouTube[/ame]
  • dpaynter26
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dpaynter26 polycounter lvl 11
    im actually really excited for this :)
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Ahh. The old holographic head trick!

Looks gorgeous! Actually looking forward to it. Massive fan of the original but I think we have to put that one out of our minds for this one.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    granted "We Can Remember it for you Wholesale" isn't super deep, it's kind of a short story with a punchline.

but aren't ALL his short stories like that though?

-The new trailer does look epic though. It even seems to be focusing more on the paranoia that the original book made a huge point about. I'm even glad its not about Mars anymore, and the fact that he's in some sort of futuristic Eastern city, which seems like a slight nod to ANOTHER Philp K Dick book: The Man in the High Castle

All in all. This shit is way more true to what the old film was SUPPOSED to be. Less catchphrases and more "Oh Shit"
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Very interesting - been watching the previous trailer over the last few days and there was something I couldn't quite put my finger on. Now with this one it's a bit more clear :

I think it's a bit early to say that this one will be more serious or less cheesy than the Arnie one (not talking about the original short story here). The Arnie one sure was wrapped in a big popcorn box, but when you look at it closely it is extremely well made and quite deep actually. I love how the image it gives of the future is very layered - cheese on top but totally creepy and broken underneath. Even tho neither or the two are realistic, I "buy" the creepy doll cab driver from the original much more than the glossy white robots from the remake. Also the Recall offices themselves were way more convincing in the original (ugly private medical office close to something you would see today) than here (baroque asian-themed boudoir). And ironically, even tho the set pieces didn't have the sleek factor of something made today, I felt like the original covered a wider "disbelief gap" between the real and the dream state (yay MARS!), as opposed to here where it feels more like a Bourne movie. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing - it's just less ... thrilling I guess.

I don't know, wait and see for sure, but this remake feels a bit cold and soulless. It sure is hard to live up to the original - such a fantastic movie!!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    pior wrote: »
    I felt like the original covered a wider "disbelief gap" between the real and the dream state (yay MARS!), as opposed to here where it feels more like a Bourne movie.

Good point. The hazy fantasy-esque situation where it sounds so dream-like on paper. The fact that he's a secret agent on "Mars" makes you constantly convince yourself its a ridiculous situation. I hope they find a substitute for that feeling.
  • Wahlgren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wahlgren polycounter lvl 17
    I love the visuals of this movie. Supersex. :D
  • aivanov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aivanov polycounter lvl 5
    The pessimist in me says it'll be decently-generic action movie - great visuals though! It's like Mass Effect: The Movie in regards to the environments/armor.
  • Scruples
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scruples polycounter lvl 10
    Here's a question, why call it Total Recall in the first place?. It can only hurt the reception it would get from fans of the original, of which it is trying to be nothing alike. More than likely the answer is because they need the name for marketing purposes to get a high opening box office number before it is forgotten within a month.
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Also the Recall offices themselves were way more convincing in the original (ugly private medical office close to something you would see today) than here (baroque asian-themed boudoir). And ironically, even tho the set pieces didn't have the sleek factor of something made today, I felt like the original covered a wider "disbelief gap" between the real and the dream state (yay MARS!), as opposed to here where it feels more like a Bourne movie. Not that it is necessarily a bad thing - it's just less ... thrilling I guess.

The recall office in the Arnie movie is actually pretty much like it was described in the short story... Except for some topless woman working in the lobby.
    You've got a point there, his whole dream state/agent life isn't as black and white as opposed to his former life from a visual viewpoint. The short story didn't provide much either which was sort of the point there, it's more confusing and paranoid(Like Dick himself) thus more ambiguous.

I don't understand what the point of calling it Total Recall is either. It seems to be taking parts from both the short story as well as the Arnie movie and in my opinion they should just call it something else.
    I can't really make up my mind from seeing the trailer either... Some things confused me like how his wife looked a lot like the friend he finds later.. Maybe they're supposed to look alike. Other things look cool though such as the vistas and such. I think I'll just wait and see it when it comes out.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    This looks amazing! Can't wait!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Clearly his assassin-memories of mars will be flashbacks from the first total recall movie!
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    i'll watch pretty much anything. This looks entertaining. If you want the original story..read the original story. It'd be nice for it to be adapted exactly, or at least be as awe inspiring as Blade Runner, but such things are exceedingly, and increasingly rare.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I was so ready to hate it just because I love the Arnie movie. But I gotta admit, It looked pretty good.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    I don't understand what the point of calling it Total Recall is either. It seems to be taking parts from both the short story as well as the Arnie movie and in my opinion they should just call it something else.

i think the point is to simply get people talking about it (just like we do now) and spread the word further. It's surely much harder to have it slip under the radar this way.
    It's definitely not the first time movie makers do such thing, even if it's a pretty lame method of gaining publicity.

I guess i might watch it someday, though i don't think it'll have much to offer besides cool environments and amusingly cheesy action scenes.

Did any of you watch paycheck or impostor?
    i'm curious what these were like.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I felt like the original covered a wider "disbelief gap" between the real and the dream state (yay MARS!), as opposed to here where it feels more like a Bourne movie.

True, but keep in mind we were kids for the Arnie one. I was born in 83, so I was like 7 when I saw that one. Much easier for a 7 year-old to suspend their disbelief than it is for me now.

And about the Bourne thing, I think that's the point though, right? That you're supposed to question whether a Bourne situation is going on, or is he just dreaming the whole thing. Though for me, with my jaded 28-year-old mind now, that pretty much proves that he's dreaming the whole thing. But who knows, maybe they'll make it plausible in the movie.

On that note, my little brother really loved the movie Inception. I told him it was cool and all, but felt really derivative to me. He thought it was the most original thing ever, and asked what else is similar. I said pretty much every movie with a twist, but especially Matrix and Total Recall. He didn't agree on the Matrix, but said he didn't see Total Recall cause it's a "dumb action movie". So we watched it. And he was totally shocked by the end of Total Recall at how deep it was, and how yeah, it was the same basic story as Inception. Only cooler, with more cheese, and more enjoyable.

Just a funny little story about the younger generation.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    So many haters in this thread hahaha. I think it looks great!
  • Saman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saman polycounter lvl 13
    Blaisoid wrote: »

I've seen Impostor. It had some cheesy elements to it but it was alright. I haven't seen paycheck but if you guys are interested in seeing movies based on Philip K Dick's work you should see A scanner darkly. It's my favorite.
    Autocon wrote: »

Not really. Many of us are doubtful but that's about it.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    Blaisoid wrote: »

Haven't seen Imposter, but Paycheck is actually a very very good movie. I'm going to go ahead and state that its probably the only Ben Affleck movie I actually like other than 'The Town'. (p.s. I hate Ben Affleck)

I think Minority Report was a pretty good take on Philip K's novel too. They changed a ton, but the bones are there.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Autocon wrote: »

I think the brain reacts much like any immune-system, after so many explosive transformer and resident evil movies you start rejecting anything remotely similar ;)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duck_test