Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Mace, Stinkhorse

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Stinkhorse polycounter lvl 12
LATEST UPDATE:
mace3D3.png

Well I don't know enough(anything) about sculpting to actually attempt to join this comp, but I'm a big fan of the first Darksiders game, and a huge fan of Joe Madureira's art style. So here is my entry, a Kingdom of the Dead/Core style Mace.

MaceWeb-3.png

Next time a contest comes around I'll be ready for it!

Replies

• Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And I bit the bullet and started modeling this guy. I'm super glad I did too because I've been learning a lot along the way. Here's the current progress (sorry about the lack of shading or lights, I'm not quite sure how to do those just yet).

mace3D1.png

Also I have an issue with the mirror mod in Blender. It this specific instance it seems to want to create extra geometry and snap it in a weird way. I'm not sure what's going on there. I've tried to create extra edge loops, and while that will hide the issue it doesnt actually fix the problem. Any ideas?

problem.png
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm thinking about an adjustment to the plates on the sides to pull it closer to the bounding box and tighten up the design. The third spike was feeling a little superfluous. What do you guys think?

MaceWeb2.png
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was having a quick side thought. It's over now, back to work.

suggestionaxe2.png
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And the last update for the night. The more compact form is definitely the way to go.

mace3D2.png
  • Turret
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turret polycounter lvl 11
    That concept is really cool, even if you are not familiar with sculpting and can't finish this in time for the deadline, I would def like to see this completed someday. As for the blender issue sorry I can't help, I use Maya personally.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the compliment.

This project would be a perfect spring board to learn sculpting so I'll probably try and find some time this week to look into it. As for the problem with the rings I'm thinking about just breaking them off and using the little rivet spikes I have everywhere else. It would be a shame to lose them but there might be clipping issues depending on how the character animates over the haft right?

Also it's probably about time I started referring to this as a hammer...
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, tonight I'm going to get the lock and center brace done and at least start on the chains. THIS IS THE PLAN.

Any suggestions or critiques would be super helpful!
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm borrowing Andrew Mackie's scale test, thanks for making that available dude! I had to make some adjustments to the pommel, and the connection between the haft and the mace head. It all works out pretty well though.

?di=YF4J
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    You can use mine as well if you want. I borrowed the cutout from Impala and took the hands out.

http://upload.habboi.co.uk/scalefinal.psd
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    reminding u to check with the proxy dimensions

https://us.v-cdn.net/5021068/uploads/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/DS2_Heavy_Template.zip

I some how feel the staff is shorter than it needs to be
  • SnakeDoctor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnakeDoctor keyframe
    Really cool man, the chains make your piece stand out.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Habboi:
    Thanks man! I've got it downloading and will check it out!

@Evanescfan:
    Yeah I started thinking about that too. that latest shot should be scaled to the relative size of the template. The earlier design was definitely too short!

@SnakeDoctor:
    Hey thanks! They're proving to be a bitch though. I really want to layout one set of chains and then copy and flip those, but I can't seem to find a way to invert geometry in blender without combining it all, mirroring it, applying that mirror, then deleting the old geometry. That seems like a pretty convoluted way to just reverse something in space. This process also crashed the file and I lost like three and a half hours of hard work so I'm on a break for an evening while my batteries recharge.

Hopefully I'll manage to get those chains done up by tomorrow. They're sort of faked, with one of the chains cracked in half. It looks like it's all linked but in real life it would pretty much fall apart. Is that kosher in 3D modelling? I'm still pretty new to doing this myself. How important is physical accuracy on a static object??
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    looking cool, Im not too familiar with the darksiders style but i would say that it feels like you could stylize the skull a bit more. Like in Bobo's livestream.
    Looks like your another one who has allot of work to do before Sunday :P

All the best.
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I really should take an axe to the skull that I do have. I've been pretty displeased with it for a while now.

Lots to do tonight!
  • Stinkhorse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lots to do and I managed to do it all! I got the whole stick adjusted, added the chains, and completely redid the outside pieces. I decided to redo them as tenderizers fashioned out of gravestones and really push the graveyard theme I had going. I even added a lamp under the coffin. I'm still likely not going to finish on time, but I'm starting to feel good about looking into some sort of sculpting program at this point.

mace3D3.png