Home Technical Talk

High poly baking help needed.

Hi guys i know that i must sound like the worlds stupidest person but i have been modelling this vat for a scene i am producing and i wanted to bake the high poly version of it onto the low. But i think i have done this terribly wrong please any help would be great

ScreenShot2012-03-09at022125.png low and high poly models.

ScreenShot2012-03-09at022135.png Baked low poly model and high poly model.

Please help, thanks for any help in advance.

Replies

• cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    you're gonna have to explain what exactly seems to be the problem..the faceted look?
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    just curious...how far away from the viewer is this object going to bee seen? I'm not the most experienced person on the forums, but theoretically speaking, if LOD dictates anything to the contrary, if that's as highly detailed your HP model is going to be I think you just need to smooth the edges in your LP model where you don't want faceting. On the bottom picture you say low poly and high poly but it's the one on the left thats high poly ...right?
  • woody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    woody polycounter lvl 13
    The low poly definitely needs smoothing groups! Apart from that I am not sure what your problem is, as you appear to have no normal map applied to the low poly.

I am a MAX user so I am unclear on Maya normal map rendering, however the models should intersect and share the same position/size/scale for the baker to catch the normals.

Otherwise you might want to explain further with less confusing images. ;)
  • Jhill8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys i got it sorted today it seems that the Loypoly's hard edges werent seperated. ( this is what i get for late night working haha) Sorry for troubling you guys. I will post my results later on today.