Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Zapplink problem

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
MrOneTwo polycounter lvl 12
Hi, I'm trying to use abrush for a projection painting like that : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=83543&highlight=projection+painting

When I return to zb i get something like this

axgnD.png

And It should look like that. But when I press PICKUP NOW i get something like this :

q2c3G.png

Tried to export to obj in many different ways. Even tried to use zapplink through projection master. Really don't know how to make it work... Any idea? Thx

Replies

• JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    How are your Uvs? There´s overlapping in your mesh?
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope. As simple as it can get. Upper part separated from the lower and both flatened to 2 circular islands. Both in 0-1 uv space. No overlapping.
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    So, I have no idea. I had the same problem once, but using Zapplink trhough Projection Master solved the problem.

Just to be sure, this happens from all angles?
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    I've run into this bug too. I have been unable to identify the source of it though. It seems completely random to me. What's interesting though is that you have to undo several times which implies that zBrush does the projection in multiple passes. Weird.

Have you tried disabling Fade? That helped for me some times, as well as toggling perspective in both the settings and canvas. Also what jramauri said, try to drop the canvas and go into Projection Master before you activate ZAppLink. Although in my experience it's almost impossible to do projection texturing in zBrush without ending up with this kind of noise.
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VLpLU.png

Without Fade. Using Projection Master doesn't change a thing ;/ Damn I'm looking for something fast and light to improve my texture workflow... Tried Pixexix wich is pretty good but zbrush is way better with Viewport snapping etc. Shame its unusable <.<. XXI century and we have all those tools... but every one of them is broken in a different ways grrr. I don't want to add new software like Bodypaint to my workflow :( Doing every single thing in different app is pain in the ass. Maxs viewport canvas is way too primitive to be usable.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    What steps are you taking?

Give the mesh UVs, and a Texture (Tool: Texture: New from Polypaint if it doesn't have one). Manually drop it with Projection Master / G (Color only, fade optional but I keep it off). Then Zapplink should take you straight to photoshop. Do your painting, and make sure you end up with the same layer order (fill Zshading, layer 1 with mask, Zshading). When you save and return to zbrush, accept all edits and pick the tool back up. The result should look much better than just using zapplink on its own (I used this a lot last night even with only minor issues that were planned for).
  • MrOneTwo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yep I'm doing it as you described. I actually reseted Xform for the model, unchecked Fade (previously I unchecked Fade in Zapplink) in Project Master and it is usable. Sometimes I get few white pixels but It is usable now ;p I almost gave up too soon. Thx. The last issue I have is that before I use Projection Master I apply flat material so I don't get any lighting on the model. When I get back from PS and pick up the model via Projection Master it always switches back to Basic Material. Anything I can do about it ?

EDIT: Workable with Basic Material since I can toggle lighting layer... will do. Thanks for help ;]
  • JR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JR polycounter lvl 15
    It seems you solved the question, but I'd like to add that I set ambient to 100 and diffuse and specular to 0, on basic material, so it behaves like flat color.
  • snake85027
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snake85027 polycounter lvl 18
    I guess to piggy back on this thread. After I make my changes in photoshop and save and then pick up the projection in zbrush it reverts back to the old texture. It will tease me and show me my changes and once I pick it up it reverts.