Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Dinosaur

polycounter lvl 4
Offline / Send Message
Parralax polycounter lvl 4
Hi, I am creating a dinosaur for a university project, it is loosely based upon the Allosaurus but I have used a bit of artistic licence in the design.

The below image shows the latest stage of the sculpt. I just wanted to get some critique before I add the scales and skin as it will be easier to change any details now and add the scales/skin on later.

allosaurus.jpg

I welcome any feedback.

Replies

• JackBauer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JackBauer null
    his weight is not balanced, it looks like he is about to fall flat on his face. give him a bit more vertical so he is standing up, and maybe bring his legs forward a little more. Also, I think his feet are too small to be standing on, he needs bigger toes.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I did think the legs were way too far back but that is where they were on my reference images, I will adjust the pose after the retop when I come to animate him
  • SiegePerilous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SiegePerilous polycounter lvl 9
    I'd suggest a few changes before moving on to surfacing.

It would be nice if his neck connected to his body in a more organic fashion, ie there was some sort of tapering thickness increase that tied into his chest in a manner that made sense because of the muscles and bone that were underneath.

His head needs to be wider at least at the back of the jaw and head. Right now his head and neck are almost exactly the same thickness. Here are a couple examples of dinosaur heads that widen out toward the back of the skull and have interesting silhouettes.

20081212_dinosaur_head.jpgdinosaur_head_flipped.jpg

Feels like the hands and feet are still roughed in. Feet could be bigger or more substantial. Also feels like you've postured them in a standard, inorganic fashion. Splay the toes out and make the feet really grasp or press against the ground. The hands and feet don't yet have distinct nails that are fitted into a fleshy base.

Full_Additional_Photo_1--1325658710984.jpg

If he's supposed to be similar to an Allosaurus he feels like he needs to be a lot more bulky. You can also see these have much more substantial feet to hold their weight and balance on.

allosaurus_papo.jpg

allosaurus12.jpg

Looking at the top view I don't think he'd have so much of a narrow, shapely waist. I think he'd be wider around the middle. I can't easily find a photo of a dinosaur from the top but if you look at modern four legged predators or ostriches (as close to a modern 2 legged dinosaur as I can think of) neither have the sort of thin waist distinction you've made.

Hope this helps. I like where you're going and you've got something starting to come together with the head/neck, but you've got to play around with the muscular volumes and silhouette and add a lot of mass to the extremities. Animal anatomy reference is a great place to double check yourself if you don't use it already.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have edited the model based on SiegePerilous' feedback, the new model is shown below;

allosaurus2.jpg

I would appreciate any feedback in order to further advance my model before beginning the surface work.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any feedback would be much appreciated as I need to move on to surface work soon because my deadline is fast approaching
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    I can tell you made slight changes but the model still looks like it's going to fall flat on its face. Dinosaurs don't stand like that. Try rotating his legs a bit and have him not standing on his toes.
  • woodesh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thighs support the weight of the dinosaur, they need to be atleast at a vertical angle to sustain support. beyond that point the dinosaur would be falling.

DAL205.png
    the pelvis bone relative to the knee joint would need to be behind it.

the only point in which the knee would go behind the pelvis is when its walking forward or jumping.

t.rex_body-amnh.png
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Parralax wrote: »
    I will adjust the pose after the retop when I come to animate him

No need to mention the balance thing, guys, he answered that in the second post.
    I think a big issue is with the eyes and face, as well as some of the muscle-forms.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Joopson,

What do you mean when you say a big issue with eyes, face and muscle forms
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    To see what I mean, check out some of these images, and the details they threw in.
    Particularly around the eyes, but certainly not limited to there.
    I understand you aren't doing a Trex, or a Raptor, but the muscle forms and scale details would be similar, regardless.
    raptor.jpg
    Dinosaur_Wires.jpg
    gorgosaurus_head_concept.jpg
    zbrush20t-rex3.jpg

And this one is actually based on the Allosaurus as well:
    dino.jpg

Notice all the facial forms going on. Lots of ridges and wrinkles. And a very strong brow.
    Somehow, right now, your dinosaur looks like he's given up on life, haha. As such, I think the main issue is the brow. So when sculpting, just flip back and forth between reference, and the sculpt, and make it as close as possible.
    Good luck! I'm sure it'll be awesome.
  • specsowl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    specsowl polycounter lvl 6
    It's not really the pose though. I don't know but the legs look much too thin to hold up the dinosaur. The 4th one down in Joopson's post has incredibly muscular legs. I'm not saying you should go THAT muscular, but a little more definition. I'm assuming this is a mid-sized theropod, and his legs are more like a smaller theropod...like a Compsognathus or something.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have quickly added more definition to the brow, let me know how it looks.

template.jpg
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any feedback would be appreciated before surface work begins.
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    1st attempt at the surface work, any feedback would be appreciated.

scales-1.jpg
  • Parralax
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    scalesdifference.jpg

Could do with some quick opinions, which scales look better the square or round ones?