Home General Discussion

Gentlemen, I give you HALO 4

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Computron polycounter lvl 7
jZruk.jpg

kS2FM.jpg

Thoughts?

More should be coming soon, gamerslive just posted these.

Replies

• wasker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wasker polycounter lvl 7
    Yep, that sure looks Halo to me :)
  • MadnessImport
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought it was dropping next year?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I like it. It still shows the multi colour of the old games but the artwork is waaaaaaay better. Looks more in line with a next gen title now... But then that's just the chief, who really should get all the best attention. I hope the worlds look a lot more natural and full of life this time, because as nice as Reach could look, it was hardly standing on par with other triple A games of the time.
  • Snefer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snefer polycounter lvl 16
    Ill judge the game by how it looks when they show ingame pics, afterall, this is apparently the chief in halo 3 : DD

halo3a.jpg
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    I'm pretty dang excited for this. I played Halo 1-3 as they came out quite a bit. I played the campaign of ODST at a friend's house but never touched Reach. Those two didn't really excite me for some reason.

New art is looking quite nice so far. The new chief is looking pretty awesome, especially compared to the crazybumped one pictured above from Halo 3. As Odium said the art overall looks a lot better and like it's taking more advantage of current techniques.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    EDIT: Actually that's pretty much just needless trolling.

I'll opt out and keep my distaste for this franchise to myself without bugging the rest of you.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    IMHO... That Halo 3 shot above looks way, way less nicer than what we got in the final. The final game looked bloody fantastic at times (Of course, damn right shocking most of the time) but character art wise, the chief in the final was far better than in that shot. Mostly because he didn't end up looking like soembody nVidia filtered a diffuse texture for the bump (like above).

The word on the street is that the environments are like night and day compared to the older games. Thats good. They stuck out soooooo badly before, and with Reach looked damn right PS2 quality in places. If they can bring those up to par as well, then this may just be a totally killer looking game.

Can't/won't comment on gameplay in a screenshots thread mind you :p
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Luckily the detail-bumpmap in the actual halo3 was toned down from that screenshot, the end result is much cleaner:

921H3_chief550x376.jpg

but surely everyone on here must remember when this screenshot surfaced:

halo3sc1.jpg
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    I love the blurry environments.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hehe yeah but regardless - I dont think any of these screens (3 and 4) are from actual gameplay footage. I've never seen any 360 game showing that kind of antialiasing.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    pior wrote: »
    Hehe yeah but regardless - I dont think any of these screens (3 and 4) are from actual gameplay footage. I've never seen any 360 game showing that kind of antialiasing.

Absolutely true, the rendering specs doesn't seem like anything unnatural though, it probably does feature the final look of the game, but as always they push anti-aliasing to the max when doing pr shots.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    The guy who took them is on NeoGaf. The shots are totally ingame, just likely supersampled or soemthing. But the ray quality, shadows, lighting and textures etc are all as ingame with the ingame camera, so not like theater mode, but just like a larger screenshot down sampled or something.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yup, still, not ingame in the true sense of the word :)
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Well if they hit 720p ingame then I'll be impressed. Not a lot of big titles even hit that, on both consoles, and its quite sad really :( So if w get all this new fancy detail and 720p... Then colour me impressed. Just as long as its not that Halo 3 sub HD rubbish.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    What resolution did halo-HD run at?
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Google tells me 1152x648, which ends up looking quite the blur on a decent sized 1080p set.
  • JFletcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JFletcher polycounter lvl 13
    Snefer wrote: »
    Ill judge the game by how it looks when they show ingame pics, afterall, this is apparently the chief in halo 3 : DD

I was about to make the exact same post, with the exact same image. :)

I firmly believe that Halo 3 was a good conclusion to the chief storyline (And so did Bungie evidently) so I don't know about this, but I will hold judgement.
    It was good because it let you decide the ending, you could believe he was dead, or you could believe that Spartans don't die, they just go MIA, and that he was out there somewhere. Just going "Oh look, he's back, here's a story, screenshots yo, see, here's chief! see!?" Sort of ruins the feeling you got at the end of Halo 3.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Unless you count the legendary ending ;)
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    eld wrote: »
    Unless you count the legendary ending ;)

And that teaser trailer they released a few months ago.

EDIT: Here's the teaser if you missed it.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9iQiHNXgMU"]Halo 4 Trailer (E3 2011) - YouTube[/ame]
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    I wasn't sure if this toyline was taking liberties on the design or not... because I thought the new look was lame until I saw this toy. I can definitely spot some differences from those 2 screenshots. :(image.axd?picture=2012%2f2%2f16%2fWaypoint_H4_MC_Update_v2.jpg
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was just playing halo 3 today and the first thing I noticed was the greater amount of medium frequency detail as opposed to Reach, which seems to have noisy high frequency detail. In halo 3, everything seemed easier to read. They used this idea to great effect with their lighting which seemed to paint the environments with broad but clearly distinguishable strokes.

Reach on the other hand feels like it is muddy in low frequency detail and noisy with high frequency detail. I understand that a lot of this has to do with the fact that most matchmaking maps that I play frequently are using a small set of forerunner forge pieces, but it only took a few rounds of halo 3 to show how much better the aesthetic can be.

Anyone else feel this way about Reach?

Oh and according to some o the debs on NeoGAF, these bullshots are in engine. Most likely just adjusted AA and resolution. Pretty volumetric lighting has me excited, but the chief seems to suffer from the same noisyness that I just described. Does every single edge of his armor need to be scratched as if they just use a procedural noise and a curvature map?

Anyone else excited to see what's new in Halo 4? The embargo will end in a few hours and we will get more info on single player and multiplayer content.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    That MC figure above is pure sex in colour and design... maybe its just me but it hits all the right notes.

As for the scratches on he ingame model... Meh... as long as it doesn't hit Rainbow Six Vegas levels of stupidity, I'm not too fussed. He's not MIB anyway...
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love the dots in the visor, but other details seem out of place. All the scratches and noise make his armor look like its made out of something other than metal.

The armor itself looks cool from a design standpoint.

Show me the rainbow six stuff, I'm curious.
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    the weapons look much better in those shots. much more metallic and heavy looking. the old ones looked kinda plasticy
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    Computron wrote: »
    I love the dots in the visor, but other details seem out of place. All the scratches and noise make his armor look like its made out of something other than metal.

The armor itself looks cool from a design standpoint.

Show me the rainbow six stuff, I'm curious.

Sadly I don't have access to the game atm, so I'll see if I can find a shot on google. But pretty much every edge was just a bright white line for some reason? I think a lot of people here said the same. Didn't stop it from being fantastic mind you (Can't wait for the new one):

86626_0_org.jpg

So yeah, the damage may look a tiny bit over done, but he still looks good compared past efforts. By this point in time hes bloody old and has seen a fair bit of action. But then the point could be argued that this is new tech that shouldn't even need any dents or dings on it...

I dunno, but from a design point of view, I myself find stuff thats seen action has waaaaaay more character than something fresh out the box. Weapons are one, like dents, scratches, dirt, rust, tape... It all adds to the character, if it fits the theme of course.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    I couldn't help but notice that both shots show the same pose and the same environment assets.
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Computron wrote: »
    I was just playing halo 3 today and the first thing I noticed was the greater amount of medium frequency detail as opposed to Reach, which seems to have noisy high frequency detail. In halo 3, everything seemed easier to read. They used this idea to great effect with their lighting which seemed to paint the environments with broad but clearly distinguishable strokes.

Reach on the other hand feels like it is muddy in low frequency detail and noisy with high frequency detail. I understand that a lot of this has to do with the fact that most matchmaking maps that I play frequently are using a small set of forerunner forge pieces, but it only took a few rounds of halo 3 to show how much better the aesthetic can be.

Anyone else feel this way about Reach?

Can't really agree...
    3 seemed almost last-gen, muddy, undefined and blurry compared to Reach in My opinion.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I wonder if the armour change will ever get a proper explanation, or if its even explainable.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was explained somewhere a while back. Cortana gets somewhat bored whilst MC is in stasis, and does some upgrade work to keep herself busy.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    54180e5ddf72b014c04c60a4643e3e76c63dbcda.jpg

I'm going to so badly reserve judgement on this pic, looks on par with late xbox 1 atm.

And another:

ibyIZq6ZwC863L.jpg

Looks like trailer grab pics...
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    And theres the movie:

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/8185354/frank_oconnor_halo_4_interview_at_microsoft_spring_shocase_2012/

Not sure if its the full one or what... Its a bit of a mixed bag there. Certainly the SP looking parts look a lot more stylish.

Heres the proper, in HD:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6UL63Zo-uo"]Making Halo 4: First Look - YouTube[/ame]

Ok, so still not enough shown of the maps yet other than the utterly boring metal MP maps that look no different from 3 (IMO of course). The very, very brief shots of the single player stuff look fantastic, and I like the idea of you being the chief with the hands animating etc, something all FPS should have anyway.

But what stood out for me was that facial animation stuff. Lightyears beyond what any Halo title has done yet.

But that video just didn't do anything for me besides those points... Quick 2 second cuts are no way to show anything, and my bloody GOD those jaggies was just disgusting... There was one shot of the chief stood tall, and all I could focus on were the jaggies running right the way down the weapon.

I dunno, I'm 50/50 on this atm. Looks better than any other Halo but that wasn't tough... liking the thoughts its giving me from the SP side of things a LOT... But still, seems pretty much standard fare...

I really, really hope I'm wrong. But then, with such little "halo" shown in a "reveal" trailer, its hardly bloody surprising to be left wanting more before making a solid judgement. VERY much liking the sound of the SP being sandbox though.

Except this... This has promise... A LOT:

sanstitredfktp.png

gif730lhw.gif
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Funny watching people arguing over armour we'll not spend a lot of time looking at in game hah :poly142:

Game looks decent to me so far.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Face Wrinkling aka 'we've discovered morph targets'.
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 17
    i cant help but wonder that even though they're essentially building from the ground up on this.. how much will it feel almost exactly the same. you cant really change halo too much while still calling it halo.. so im wondering what sort of things they'll do to make it different yet unique.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    ambershee wrote: »

it looks more like they're using animated normalmaps as well as the morph targets.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edit: That's quite probabbly the case. Looks like a lerp between two sets of data. One wonders if it'd make it nto the game on account of texture memory overhead.

Dunno, from the limited gameplay I've seen, it looks like the gunplay is going to feel a bit different.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    I think they're just going for that "uncharted" type of story, a lot of set piece moments, etc... the textures at the moment from that video Odium posted are hard to read. At least for me. I'll wait and see.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Can't wait for this game!

• Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »

Well, no. What sprung said + they probably arent using morph targets, they are probably using actual bones. And plenty of em.
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    morph targets, anim Normal maps, Bones.... whatever, why does it matter if the result looks awesome! :)
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
    Sweet Jebus. That quick shot of the new BR firing was soooo sexy.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    morph targets, anim Normal maps, Bones.... whatever, why does it matter if the result looks awesome! :)

Well, surely we are here to discuss game art ;)

Also I don't think you can import Morph Targets and the like into game engines, which is why I mentioned it. I think they aren't exportable from their respective programs. It pretty much has to be done with bones, or some kind of baked vertex animation, at least that has been my personal experience. I could be wrong there though, could someone clarify?
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unreal Tournament 3 makes use of morph targets, and that's coming on five years old ;)

It does look like morph targets to me, it doesn't look like bones. I could be wrong though, of course.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    has anyone checked on Rens to see if he is still alive? I know he probably passed out for a good hour with the massive amount of blood that rushed to his halo boner but he should have hopefully come back to us by now...

Rens? Buddy you ok?
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wankers cramp must be a real bitch on the typing skills.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    jZruk.jpg

Whoa Spider fingers....
  • Cheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks sweet ! Nice improvements to the old lighting model. Would have been fun to have some of that tech on Reach :P Fun to see a new team's fresh take on something you worked on for so long.
    Eager to see the final product !
  • Super
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Super polycounter lvl 18
    It just has so much character......
  • Shade117 pro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    New screenie from Halo Waypoint :) Best one yet.
    EDIT: and the music playing in the background in the trailer is lovely. It's epic too :D. Hopefully that's the soundtrack that's being played in the trailer...
    2820210-gallery.png
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Game is looking great. Love the Halo franchise and its cool to see 343's take on the series. Very excited for it. Lighting is looking great and I bet they have some sweet new tools to help with that, it was such a pain to work with on Reach hahaha