Home Contests & Challenges Archives

[DS2] Hammer, J0NNYquid

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
J0NNYquid polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys, so, this is my first time posting ANY of my work on polycount, but this contest was too crazy to pass up. I loved the first Darksiders and if there's the smallest chance something I made could be in the game, I'd hate myself if I didn't at least try.

Enough about me, I've decide that the Maker style best suits my abilities, as the other styles are so stylized, and my sculpting abilities are mediocre. Anyways, here's what I've got so far.

DS2WIP-2.jpg

As you can tell, I've become really attached to the gear aspect. I'm just having a hell of a time figuring out what to do for the head of the hammer. I'm piss poor at concepting so I'm just kind of trying things out as I go along. Any critique is greatly appreciated, and I'm honestly just happy I finally decided to post something on here. Thanks guys, best of luck to everybody.

Replies

• r4ptur3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r4ptur3 polycounter lvl 10
    woah, no comments? this has a ton of potential! keep going :)
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks man, I really appreciate it. Like I said, my concepting skills are piss-poor, so I'm just kind of throwing stuff together in Max. Anything else you could see this having? Anything you would change? Accepting any and all crits haha.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's my latest update: As you can see, I'm not really moving along at the pace I'd like to. This is my first time ever using Zbrush, and I had a family emergency that took up my entire weekend, which is the only time I can get any real work done.

Still taking crits on the original idea, would still like to finish this weapon, even though getting it in on time is probably out of the question. Here's my first real sculpt in Zbrush:

DS2WIP-5.jpg

Looking for crits as far as: Am I getting closer to the darksiders style? I've noticed it's all very sculpted and carved. Also, I've been told it's very easy to make your sculpts look too soft/melty when you first start out, am I falling into that trap as well? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I'd say yes. It's easy to fix though, grab the planar brush and sharpen the crap out of the edges of every mark you've carved.
  • J0NNYquid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Habboi: Thanks man, noted.