Home Technical Talk

editing UV in zbrush

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Olli. polycounter lvl 8
another question :D

is it possible to edit UV's inside zbrush? usually when i generate UV's with UV master, the unwrap is pretty good but the program is unable to pack the UV in to the square properly.. is it possible to edit these UV's inside zbrush?
its just that I like the normals baking system in zbrush because its just so easy, and exporting to max and editing the UV and baking there is such a hassel with all the 3million polygon obj files and projection modifiers and whatnot.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Flatten with UV master, adjust the islands with masking + transpose (or the move brush), then unflatten.

You would only have to export the lowest subdivision level to edit the UVs externally.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    yes but if i export only the lowest rez mesh from zbrush, i wont have anything to bake on it.. and even if i re-import it to zbrush after editing, it wouldnt have the subdivision levels and details it had earlier..
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you reimport it into zbrush after editing only the UVs, it will simply update the UVs in zbrush and preserve all the sculpting / layers / subdivisions.

XNormal is also a good contender for baking (my preference), as it would offer a lot more control, allows you to use different meshes, handles large sculpts easily (including polypaint), and Decimation Master can also cut file sizes down as well.
  • Olli.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Olli. polycounter lvl 8
    hmmm interesting.. i will check out xnormal in that case.