Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[JUST STARTED] Turf (Halo) remake for TF2

Hey guys,

So... I'm in a month-long break right now and I decided to keep myself busy by giving another try to mapping for Source. My idea is to choose a map I loved in a game I used to play and make a map based off of it for an 'actual' game. I will update this post as often as I can and hope I will hear back from you, I really need crits.

The map I chose to remake is Turf from Halo 2, and I decided to make it for Team Fortress 2. I am sorry I don't really have anything to show right now, I just started it and finished planning it. I searched for a top-down picture of the map and made a quick-rough sketch on it to remember the main things too try to keep and added a few details. Here it is :
mapdraw.jpg

So, a few explanations about what I did and some questions :
-I think about adding a few underground tunnels (sewers ?), accessible via manholes, to the map. But it might be an issue as it will basically be composed of long, tight corridors. Should I forget this idea ? Add a (few ?) maintenance room(s) ?
-The original map has three small reactors near a damaged building, my idea is to replace it by large fans. Two of them operating, one destroyed. The working ones might project players to the "Motel", and the destroyed one share the same use as the manholes.
-What should I do about the trucks in the original map ? Keep the idea of a small parking, or change it for something else/nothing ? BLU team will have the advantages of the buildings to cover their base while RED team will be in a large, open area.
-The trash shelters will basically be small covered areas (possibly containing health/ammo packs), practical to cover and/or for Spies.
-Red and Blu being the location of the teams' bases, what do you think about their locations ?
-Should the buildings such as the motel, bridge, storage, and ruins be accessible, like the reactor ? (hence the doors. might be useful for snipers, by example)
-In what environment should this kind of map be set ? I've been wondering about Industrial (Well), Farmland (Granary), or Spytech (Junction).

Here is a new, better looking, organization for the sewers :
Turf_Sewers_Path.jpg
The orange line is a break that goes from the damaged fan to the sewers. I might make some kind of connection for the functional fans just so it doesn't seem weird that only one fan is connected to the sewers. How about differently closed manholes ? Such as manholes blocked by debris and manholes simply closed.

Here are the screenshots of the blocking :
Overview
overview.jpg
View above BLU base
blue.jpg
View above RED base
red.jpg

Thank you for your understanding. See y'all later.
(Sorry, English is not my first language)

Replies

• Giant Bwomp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    loved this map in halo 2, hope it turns out well! good luck
  • Computron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Computron polycounter lvl 7
  • NothingHappens
    Computron > I don't see the point training in mapping if all I do is simply rip a map, "paste" it in the SDK, and compile it. Plus TF2 has dimensions that are much different from Halo 2 (The Soldier, Demoman, and Heavy need a little more space than the others, by example).

Anyway, I barely progressed due to some dimension issues I just fixed. The same area of the blocking of the map ended up way too small.
    The base of the blocking (just the original shape of the map) is done, I now have to add my modifications (such as the sewers).

I guess no one read the full post because of the lack of pictures (well, I can add screenshots of the actual blocking if you guys want to see if you can give me any advice about it), hence the lack of answers regarding my questions...

I'm not quite sure what the map should look like (I like 2 Fort's and Well's style) and will try to adapt the map for these game-types : Standard Capture Point, Payload, Arena, and Prop Hunt (which is not an official game mode).
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    Dont stay true to your username, post some work! Only way to get noticed here.
  • NothingHappens
    Eh, the username has nothing to do with the work. =)

But yeah, give me just some time to take the screenshots and I'll edit the first post to add them.

Edit : Sorry, took some time, I couldn't get to upload the images.
  • theslingshot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't know if you thought about it. But you could really get into that TF2 style, by making this map into a PLR, that payload race push the cart type of game. And maybe starting in the lower right corner of the map and pushing it till you reach the top right corner in an S pattern...

And I think the challenge would be a bit higher while being a bit more fun to work on since you'll need to think in a different way. And you won't have to make this map perfectly balanced like the maps in TF2 are, like perfectly symmetrical..
  • ImperialDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with theslingshot. And since the map seems a bit small for a TF2 one, maybe the cart mode would continually concentrate combats to different areas of the map (since the cart moves) and encourage players to use other paths for more effective attacks.

But that would maybe screw the sewers concept though.
  • NothingHappens
    theslingshot > I though about that and didn't find a way to make Payload and/or Payload Race work in this kind of map. But your idea seems good, I'll try to figure out a path that's not too short and too difficult.

[url=]ImperialDan[/url] > Well, the idea of the sewers is kind of screwed up already since the map is not as simplistic/open as 2Fort, which means it doesn't really need sewers, adding sewers would make the map a little too complicated, especially when there's not that many players. Or I'll probably just make the sewers accessible in Prop Hunt mode...

I like your idea too, but I have no idea how to make it happen.

Anyway, right now I'm working on making some buildings hollow (like the huge one in the middle, which gives a purpose to the red blocks (supposed to be fans) : projects players on a balcony or something), it's really not easy... =/

Any crits regarding my blocking ?
  • ImperialDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    We don't really know the proportions. Is the pink primitive in the middle picture the average size of a character?
  • NothingHappens
    Yeah, it's a spawner. It's supposed to be the size of a character, but when I play it, everything seems smaller than what it looks like from the size of the pink box.

It's a little big, I might resize everything a little but I feel like I should leave it how it is now because of TF2's gameplay.