Home General Discussion

Fashion Design for Games

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Elyaradine polycounter lvl 11
I saw the d'artiste Fashion Design book, and I was wondering if anyone knew of other resources for learning to create sweet costumes for games. Maybe real-world fashion design books...?

Or do you just scribble out things from your existing art knowledge (silhouette, colour theory, composition, etc.), look at reference, practise, and hope for the best?

Replies

• odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    I heard that the number of belts must be equal to or more than the combined length in inches of hair on any given JRPG character. Combine that with a female face and you're already onto a winning formula!

But in all seriousness, what type of clothing are you after? Theres lots of "types", and I doubt one book would cover it all, but if you are after a certain look there may be something. Theres entire books dedicated to the whole dude bro 178 stone metal tank Gears look for example.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahaha! And the size of the weapon >= 3x hair length x (1 + maximum possible thing the character could realistically carry)

I didn't have something specific in mind, although I was thinking more sci-fi/fantasy.

In retrospect, I guess it's similar to coming up with any "new" creature. Grab lots of reference, and combine them in interesting ways. Although I was surprised how little literature there seemed to be about fantasy/scifi fashion in general.
  • odium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odium polycounter lvl 18
    If you are looking for something sci fi/fantasty, then look towards popular gaming and film trends, but also smaller independant efforts. An awesome area that forever gets overlooked are the designs in films like Riddick, both in fact. If something sticks with you and you like what you see, then expand on that, try and find more in that style, and roll with it. You CAN cut/paste ideas from various sources and put your own take on things. Just as long as you don't copy/paste an exact copy.

Remember if it wasn't for people getting inspired by other peoples work, we wouldn't have things like Mass Effect. CoD would be a totally different game. Hell, what do you think games/film would look like if we never had Mad Max...?

Theres lots of room for fresh ideas, but it doesn't hurt to start with a solid template and then roll from there with your own imagination.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    go to amazon, search for fashion design or tailoring and look for the centuries you are after, some of the books might be too technical but there are a lot of books with great photos or illustration of clothes - i'll have to take a look at my library at home to tell which are the ones i have. But i can tell you this, there are books which are so technical about patternmaking and sewing and stitching, you'll understand the first couple of pages and then it becomes funky and way over your head. There are reasons why you have to learn it or even study it, there are sewing patterns which are so super complicated it blows your mind and in the end it looks pretty simple on the body.
    You might want to be carefull what to look for, as for games you pretty much only want the end look, how much tailoring work it is to do a piece is good to know but if you can't transfer this knowledge to your 3d model it won't help you much.
    But in days where cloth sim becomes more important, this knowledge might be very worthy some day.
  • teaandcigarettes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    teaandcigarettes polycounter lvl 12
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    I will just drop this here:

http://www.thesartorialist.com/

ohhh ta much teaandcigarettes :)
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kazuma kaneko's works for shin megaten and persona/persona 2
    he has a flawless sense of style, shape and colour applied to character design
    persona2.jpg
    eO5rDDFIRodoex1tYqT0VqVgo1_500.jpg
    Kazuma-Kaneko-7.jpg
    - http://tokyotelephone.com/kazuma-kaneko-if/ both concept-art and runway photos comparison, pretty interesting

downside - this type of stuff is obviously way too artsy for any current part of videogame market since only animoo and GOW sells well.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    if you can find it somewhere, try a book "Fruits" by Shoichi Aoki

It's a collection of street fashion photos from Tokyo taken in late 90's and early 00's.
    It has plenty of very diverse and bizarre clothing, and as far as i remember it doesn't feature any cosplay crap.

Some outfits are very eclectic nad flashy, some are more stylish, but that book definitely broadened my horizons when it comes to clothing design.
    apparently there's also a follow up named "fresh fruits".
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I used to have a great haute couture website bookmarked full of costumes running from the normal to the very, very weird. I can't seem to find it anymore, but this one seems to have a pretty sizable amount of content.
    http://www.photoparismode.com/hte_couture/liste_hc.htm
    Just doing a search for Haute Couture photos will get you loads of reference material to work from.

Most newsagents will have some fashion magazines too.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Something tells me this is a secret inspiration source for some japanese game character designs i've seen.

Even the men.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    Whatever you design, just make sure it fully exposes the breasts. It's just the done thing.
  • Elyaradine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So, basically, look at France and Japan? ;P

Thanks for the great reference, guys! :) Research... commence!
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    for period designs I highly recommend the "Arms and Uniforms" series by L&F Funcken. The books range anywhere from the age of chivalry to ww2 etc.
    Fully illustrated and, many times, broken down to individual pieces with descriptions of their usage.
    25394_3.jpg
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine wrote: »
    I saw the d'artiste Fashion Design book, and I was wondering if anyone knew of other resources for learning to create sweet costumes for games. Maybe real-world fashion design books...?

Or do you just scribble out things from your existing art knowledge (silhouette, colour theory, composition, etc.), look at reference, practise, and hope for the best?

I really can't recommend that book if you're looking to learn about fashion design for games.
    It's a great book, and I have it, but it's mostly just tutorials on how the artists draw. No real theory in it.

I suggest you get actual, educational fashion design books that cover theory. That or go take a fashion class at a local community college.

Everything that I've learned about fashion design has come from websites.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
  • ikken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Elyaradine wrote: »
    So, basically, look at France and Japan? ;P

Look at real fashion if you want to employ its parts in vg artwork;
    I'd suggest getting acquainted with Alexander McQueen, Vivienne Westwood, Yohji Yamamoto, JP Gaultier works; McQueen and Gaultier also worked for movie industry afaik, so you may find examples of actual design, as opposed to art4thesake of art fashion;
    absolutely check out Eiko Ishioka's works (she passed out early this year, sadly) - her works are amazing; her most recognized works are probably Bjork's styling in cocoon and Drakula's costume design in Bram Stockers same titled movie.
    FRUITS are a little bit too acidic for my liking, also this subculture is pretty much left behind in mid-2000s; the nice thing about Japanese subcultures is that they're plentiful; from glam-rocks tranny young siblings to costumed death metal, etc; I don't like the current jap street fashion, though - looks way too boring and casual (same with Korean, it's like Japanese version of H&M on a tight budget)
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Bjork's styling in cocoon
    That'd be a nice easy costume to model.