Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[Portfolio]- Pookhan (Environment Art)

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
Hi, I'd like to share my portfolio for feedback on the content. Any criticism on the quality of the pieces and advice for new pieces that would make the folio better. Also, I am looking for a job as a 3d artist/environment artist (junior).

Cheers.

http://samirpookhan.carbonmade.com/

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    There's a lot of piece specific advice possible, but you need to take a step back and examine these two issues:

1. Noticed all the normal maps appear to be diffuse textures with default crazybump settings. This is directly telling potential employers you don't have an understanding of generating normal maps. They also appear flat on the renders, effectively adding northing to the scene. Spend some time on creating high detail meshes and baking normals down to game ready meshes for a few simple props to display a grasp of this skill.

2. All the specular maps suffer the same problem. Most appear generated right out of default crazybump settings. Compare the Alleyway to the Apartment Building scenes, the alley uses grayscale diffuse for specular. The result is solid white grout for the bricks resulting is solid white, reflective specular. Now the apartment scene's brick has solid black brick grout spec. This level of inconsistency for the same thing dictates to employers you don't understand how to create a proper specular map.

There are countless threads and polycount wiki entries to direct you on improving these results.

Also, every piece is closely related in style and genre (photo real, buildings) Not a lot of variety. You will be pigeonholed into only being able to apply to realistic projects. Not necessarily a bad thing, but showing some knowledge of a few different styles (sci-fi, hand painted fantasy) would allow for normal application leverage.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    Well first thing is you need a resume. Second thing all your pictures should have your contact information on each one. Third is it says you know zbrush/mudbox but your portfolio does not reflect that to me, everything looks fairly low poly with simple normal maps.
  • GOBEE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GOBEE polycounter lvl 10
    I think what jumps out at me the most is the lack of creativity of the scenes you've modeled. You have all the typical game environments here that hiring managers/recruiters/art directors have seen over and over again. Use your imagination, draw it out on paper first and then start your modeling from there. It doesn't have to be fancy, just get a rough sketch down. Look for concept art online for inspiration as well. Cholden gave you some valid advice, you need to work on your maps a bit more. And be careful with your proportions, ie. The brick size in the alley way. Too small. Keep at it. Good luck.
  • Pookhan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pookhan polycounter lvl 13
    You have pointed out some fatal flaws in my work so thanks. I am a huge fan of the GTA games so without realising I have made all my work in that sort of style.

Another question you may be able to answer:

Would companies rather I use Maya/Max map transfer or would it be ok to use xNormal?
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Different companies would likely prefer knowledge of the pipeline they use. Usually the preferred toolset is listed in job listings. Generally speaking, knowledge of a few different tools/techniques is good just in case.
  • ikblue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ikblue polycounter lvl 8
    Hello Pookhan,
    I agree to everything that has been said and I will just add that you need to work more on your lighting. I think these environments could look way more interesting with a strong artistic lighting.