Home Technical Talk

Softimage to UDK mesh lighting issue. How to fix smoothing groups in Softimage?

synergy11
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
synergy11 polycounter lvl 6
I've received some help in another forum post, pointing out that my mesh lighting problem looks related to smoothing groups.

I use Softimage 6.

Please see attached picture.

How do I fix smoothing groups in Softimage?

The mesh is just a simple cube. Not sure why the lighting is "rounding" out in UDK.

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Make sure Crosswalk is set to use export the hard edges, and that Unreal is set to factor them in while importing.

If it works like user normals, you should be able to use manually marked hard edges (right-click menu), the Geo Approximation Discontinuity angle, and there's also a plugin in the XSISDK\examples\workgroup\Addons for editing User Normals (it's a bit buggy in earlier versions like 6 though)
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was using Actor X? Is that a bad idea? : )

I was checking out the Crosswalk export fbx options and I could not see an option to export hard edges.

Is it possible it was not available in version 6?

Thanks for your help.

EDIT: Should I uncheck the Automatic setting under Discontinuity Angle in Geo approx?
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    You should still be able to export Crosswalk for v6 at http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/item?siteID=123112&id=13525184&linkID=12544121

With Actor X, use the full plugin instead of just Export .ASE, there should be an option for Obeying Hard Edges.
  • synergy11
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks so much!

I found the Obey setting in the Actor X plug in!

It worked. When I copy the wall pieces around there is no more weird lighting problems.

Althought I am getting some faint seams. Which I beleive is a light map problem from my light map UVS.

What would be the best way to layout my light map UVs for a good result for these type of wall pieces?

Thanks again Cryrid.