Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Good luck man! I'm sure you did well!
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    I'm glad it was less scary than you thought it would be :):) Good luck for the next interview :D
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Well it's all over now, life as normal resumes tomorrow. Email came through just three hours after the interview, they're not moving forward with my application.

Thanks for all the support :)

Right so, which one of you has my pants?:poly142:
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Aw, that alway sucks, did they at least give you some feedback on why not. Adam seemed to have recieved a lot of good advice from his experience.
  • aajohnny
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    Hey man you had an interview with Valve and that is a good thing! keep your head up you've got great work!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    Y_M wrote: »
    Right so, which one of you has my pants?:poly142:

haisai filled em with hash and smoked them.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    Fuuuck that sucks. props for getting an interview an valve though!
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Yeah! Even getting an interview with valve is better than most of us will ever get
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Aww, that's okay! Your work is fantastic, so don't let this get you down :):)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
    fuck. sorry, man. brush that shit off!
  • wasabi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Getting an interview with Valve is still awesome...Your folio looks good.. pretty sure you will get one next time.
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Sorry to hear that man! But hey, at least now you're the cool kid that has had an interview with Valve. :)
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    Valve made a mistake.

Did you get some sort of impression as to why they didn't hire you? Was it your design thoughts or something?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, sorry to hear man :( was rooting for you.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Sorry to hear that, but don't drop your shoulders dude.

You are obviously talented and you had your first interview with valve. You will definitely find a job elsewhere. :D

Plus, in case they gave you some sort of feedback, you can work on improving whatever it was that made them not hire you. You can always set Valve as a goal and apply again at some point in the future (for example after gathering more experience etc.). If they see that you improved even more since your first time there, they might reconsider.
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    Habboi wrote: »
    Valve made a mistake.

Did you get some sort of impression as to why they didn't hire you? Was it your design thoughts or something?

I don't think they made a mistake.

Just got an email about their reasons, they're concerned about the breadth of my portfolio, currently it sits at pretty much just TF2. They said I should get some single player done and try something outside of the norm.

Which, if I was to make two statements about my portfolio, is pretty much what I'd say. I've not finished anything singleplayer and I've not made anything that isn't different.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    sorry to hear they didn't go forward. Your levels are pretty amazing! at least they gave you feedback, so it gives you another chance to apply again :) knowing what they are looking for.

Most companies say "sorry your not the right fit......" etc. I'm happy that Valve actually tells their applicants what they were looking for. Shame more companies don't do this.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    ummm... I dunno if this is out of line or anything, but..... If they were concerned about your portfolio, why the F did you get an interview to begin with? Or why didnt they give you an art test first? I don't get it. And dont get me wrong. I think your work is stellar! But saying no after an interview, with reasons that they knew before the interview. I dunno. Seems odd to me.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    breakneck polycounter lvl 13
    bummer to hear you didn't make it :(

Also, that's extremely nice that you heard back so soon. Some companies wait weeks, some don't even respond.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    r_fletch_r wrote: »
    haisai filled em with hash and smoked them.

Hahaha... WAT!

Sorry to hear that mang. The fact they were interested is a very huge plus, though, and should be taken in a positive light that if you got that close with Valve, you would get even closer with another studio!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    slipsius wrote: »
    ummm... I dunno if this is out of line or anything, but..... If they were concerned about your portfolio, why the F did you get an interview to begin with? Or why didnt they give you an art test first? I don't get it. And dont get me wrong. I think your work is stellar! But saying no after an interview, with reasons that they knew before the interview. I dunno. Seems odd to me.

I think they looked at my portfolio and saw I'm obviously capable at TF2 maps, but wanted to know if I'd bring value to the company as a whole, rather than just the TF2 team. And I think they're absolutely right, I've shown I can make TF2 maps, but I haven't shown I can do anything else and failed to reassure them of that during the interview, so they cant see me adding much value to the company as a whole. They made the right call, I'm young and inexperienced. I've certainly done well so far, but I've a whole lot further to go before I'm Valve-worthy material.

I think the interview was "We've bought two maps off this guy, he's obviously worth our time" but I'm not at their level yet.
    Lee3dee wrote: »
    sorry to hear they didn't go forward. Your levels are pretty amazing! at least they gave you feedback, so it gives you another chance to apply again :) knowing what they are looking for.

Most companies say "sorry your not the right fit......" etc. I'm happy that Valve actually tells their applicants what they were looking for. Shame more companies don't do this.
    I did have to ask, initially they just said we're not choosing to move forward with your application.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Y_M, what is the other map besides Hoodoo? I love that map!
  • Y_M
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Y_M polycounter lvl 10
    cp_manor_event. Last year's Halloween map.
  • makecg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hear that but at least adds to your interview experience damn id love a interview with them just to talk to the designers hehe
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Sorry it didn't work out, buddy. Been there. But if working for valve is what you want then you are still way closer than most of your competition will be. And you know what to work on, so it's just matter of time. If there's one quality that outweighs all in the end - it's persistence.
    And if it wasn't really your goal being a crazy scientist is also a lot of fun!

Cheer up!