Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Akira, Kaneda

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
ysalex interpolator
I'm going to attempt a Kaneda. Not sure about the bike, for now I just want to do a realistic character.

Here's what I have after pushing it around the screen for a morning. Spent more time on the body then the clothes. Clothing wise the pants are the only thing I've put anything into.

Right now I'm considering how to go about everything. The movie is from the late eighties, so I'm weighing updating the costume to something more sleek, or going full out eighties on him. Opinions wanted.

Crits and comments appreciated.

pBYgU.jpg

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I was also thinking something a little sleeker. Like pants and low-profile boots.

quick sketch:
    F8aSO.jpg
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dirigible polycounter lvl 8
    I would spend some time trying to get a likeness of kaneda in the face. There's a couple features that make him distinct which are lacking or could be exaggerated in your sculpt. Strong jaw, upturned nose, and perpetual glare, off the top of my head.

I think the original costume stands the test of time, so I would only change it if you want to approach the project as a reinterpretation of classic characters.

If you do end up modeling the bike, you gotta recreate the iconic cover!
    Kaneda.jpg
  • 16bit
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    16bit polycounter lvl 13
    Should be an interesting thread. I've always found that modeling anime heads are very hard to do.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @16bit - I'm going to model him realistically. Or more realistically than not, I suppose.

@dirigible - Thanks for the advice. I'm looking into his face now. I've decided to do a re-interpretation. I don't want to loose everything that makes it so 80's, but I'm going to cut out just a couple things. I suppose, to me, the most iconic part of Kaneda is the Jacket, so I'll be keeping that un-touched, at the very least.

AfkAC.jpg
    wJ4PQ.jpg
  • Jungsik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jungsik polycounter lvl 6
    I AM SO WATCHING THIS

i think you should def go with the poofy kind of jacket hes wearing but it looks good right now
  • Carl Brannstrom
    Face have too much depth. Eyes are too far back into the skull and nose bridge is too "high"

Also, you should take a look at the eye-fold.
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wester polycounter lvl 13
    This is definitely an exciting piece! It's pretty early on right now but i would say to stick as close to the source material as you can, unless you're doing a re imagining which i dont think you are. It will be alot more impressive if you "next gen'd" the movie and did it some serious justice, which it looks like you're capable of doing.

I would say based on your portfolio to really push your material differentiation on this character. Make sure that the fabrics look like fabrics, plastics like plastics....etc. Solid modeling and sculpting skills, just have to push those textures.

This is definitely going to be a great piece.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    lip corners are too low if it's supposed to be neutral expression. your previous character had a kinda similiar issue.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @ Blaisoid - Thanks. Its supposed to be a bit of a scowl, but nice to know it doesn't read appropriately.

@ Carl Brannstrom - Thanks for the critique. I can clearly see the areas you outlined, I'll take another couple passes at them.

@ Jungsik - Thanks. The jacket is super iconic, so I'll attempt to recreate it best my skills allow.

@ wester - It was really nice of you to go into my portfolio and pick out the overall things I have trouble with. It's true that my materials are my weaker parts, so I'll try to pick it up with this one. Again, much appreciated. I've decided not to do a 1:1 recreation, but I've also decided to be picky abou the things I'm going to change. I won't change the iconic things: coat, goggles, bike (if I can find the time to do it). I might change the clunkier stuff - the snow pants tucked into half-boots being about the only major thing. I'll try not to make choices that will put people off. Kaneda is kind of an art icon of that era, so I can't get away with much.
  • Sputch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sputch polycounter lvl 18
    Woot! I went though a crazy period where I would watch this movie almost every day like a meditation.
    Looking pretty good. You'll probably be tackling most of the things I'd crit on as it is still early, so I won't really nitpick just yet. I do agree however, that the original outfit is still very cool, so you better bring it with your re-interpretation. Plus, I think his ears sticking out was a big part of his personality and makes for a stronger silhouette. Excited to see what you do here!
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rewatched the movie on youtube instead of sleeping. One art style quirk I noticed is that characters often (changes from shot to shot) have short noses, high mouths, and looong chins. Kaneda in particular. I realize you're going for realistic, but I would still skew his features in that direction.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    That is definitely one thing that is driving me crazy. The costumes change, or at least the details do, over the course of the movie (even from shot to shot) and in the promotional material released before and since.

Not huge things, fortunately. Like sometimes the boots and gloves have cuffs on them, sometimes not. Sometimes the goggles are square on the face, and sometimes they are rounded. Sometimes the characters have pointed/out-turned ears, and sometimes they appear to be missing ears.

At any rate, I suppose a lot of it is moot since I'm re-defining certain aspects anyways.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I wish I could get more than an hour or two into this guy a day. At any rate, here is this mornings update. Went through the movie again catching refs for the face. I was modeling the completely wrong shirt, not sure where I got the yellow shirt ref. I believe I pulled it off some pre-flight concept art from the film.

I'm still blocking the elements in, although I've gone into higher detail on the pants because I'm pretty much done concepting them.

I youngified his face, reduced the jaw and added a bit more ethnicity. I like it more.

At any rate, for better or worse, images:

Crits and comments appreciated.

Djabd.jpg
    DyAoc.jpg
    xDvxI.jpg
    vi0MA.jpg
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @ Free Fall -

Um, thanks? At any rate, when are you going to update your car thread? The high-poly clay render was looking amazing, I really wanted to see where it would go for real-time.
  • Free_Fall
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Free_Fall polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah, I was talking about the uaz with somebody yesterday.. I don't know when I'm getting back to it. I've started as an intern a while back and I can't be bothered to work on it afterwards :p Maybe someday soon.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Quite the tricky task you've set yourself.

For my money, I think if you're going with a kind of median of the proportional variation, his face should be a bit more on the round side.

It'd probably be a lot easier to get a feel for him if you tossed some rough hair on there.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah hair actually helps a lot. I mean, you wouldn't sculpt on his face without eyes, why sculpt on it without hair?
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    As Jungsik said, make his jacket more "poofy"! It had that 80s bomber jacket feel with high shoulders. That was one of the strong characteristics of Kaneda that I remember.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks for the feedback so far.

Finally got a chance to work on this some more today, spent most my time on the jacket.

Which one do you guys like most? a - more traditional; b - a little sleeker without the boots but also possibly a sin against amazing art.

Pyk31.jpg

At any rate, turn around for the second version. I'm not really married to either.

CngEB.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I should say I didn't finish the right arm because I'm still trying to work out a wrinkle pattern for the fabric that I like. From what I can tell the jacket isn't leather, more like plastic, but in some images it's made more like a plump windbreaker. Input there appreciated as well, but I think I'm going with this semi-hard material. Reason being that I figure the material is made to help in case of a crash, so nylon wouldn't work well.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I like b better,

I like the liberties you`ve taken. (dont forget gloves!) The knee pads seem odd to me. Its like they cant decide whether they are part of the pants or a separate element. I think tightening up the back sides of the knees would help. for pants that tight I dont feel like they would look so "inset" more "on top"

The wrinkle pattern on the lower leg seems a bit forced. I understand your going for a pleated look, but generally those stem from folds at the top of the pants.

Also- the shoes should be upturned at the toe, similar to this:
  • stickadtroja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stickadtroja polycounter lvl 11
    he doesnt look very asian...?
  • Jigsaw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jigsaw polycounter lvl 12
    Pants tucked into the boots looks way better, IMO.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @Jigsaw & @konstruct - Thanks for the opinions guys. I'm leaning towards b myself, but jigsaw I understand why people would probably go for more traditional.

@stickadtroja - Yeah. I've decided not to do super asian features, since the movie is futuristic I figure I have that liberty. Here are some images of the face. I think I got a good amount of asian base.

Pov4t.jpg
    4kCVA.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    By the way konstuct, your portfolio is awesome. 3d and 2d are both really inspiring.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    thanks man.! its old though :( yours seems like its shaping up nicely aswell
  • mikezoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mikezoo polycounter lvl 14
    looking good dude! The knee pads do seem a litle odd.

I am also in favor of the pants being tucked into the boots. I just dont like the boots you have at the moment. His are brown and leather like you have in the other versions. it adds alot I think
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks for the input Mike. As for the boot color, it actually depends. The boots appear both red and brown at different times in the film. They also vary in the concept art. For some reason the brown boots are always plain leather, just straight boot. The red boots usually appear with three straps.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Update.

I wish I had more than an hour or two a couple days a week to work on this. I know some people liked the boots better, but I've decided to go with full pants. Sorry. I also took some advice offered and have gone away from the pleated shins. Worked on the polypaint a bit on the jacket and skin. I'd really like to push myself in that department on this piece, but I'll wait a bit until I get the overall design modeled out.

Anyways, crits and comments appreciated,
    Thanks.

Zoh6Q.jpg
  • Tenchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Would've prefered the long boots but those lower trouser folds look good. The face looks great ^_^
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
    I love the model, It's looking great!

However I feel that the cheekbones are a little too shallow, and the eyebrows end a little too far out.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm gonna have to disagree with GragGunslinger. I think the cheekbones are plenty protuberant, and I'd actually say the eyebrows might be too far IN. This image might help.
    average_faces_of_men-741954.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @ Tenchi - Thanks. I know that probably more than 1/2 of people are going to have wished I went with the boots. In the anime they were nice and iconic, but in a more realistic style they are clunky no matter which way I try to model them. This might be a problem with my own abilities, but I could honestly not find much in the way of reference where a man, particularly a rather skinnier man, looked in any decent with his pants tucked into a pair of boots. At any rate, I'll try to compensate by making the rest of him as well as I can.

@ GragGunslinger - Thanks. I'll look into that. Part of the eyebrow thing might be because his face is distorted by the low FOV, but possibly not.

@dirigible - You seem to pop up everywhere man, you're one of those prolific polycount posters. Thanks for the link. I saw the female version on reddit awhile back and saved it to my references file. Very helpful. I saved the male now too, so thanks for sharing. I think you're right about them being a bit too far in. It's also possible that his head is a bit too wide at the temples, making his forward facing skull seem small compared to his cranium. I'll have to do some reference diving.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks. I know that probably more than 1/2 of people are going to have wished I went with the boots. In the anime they were nice and iconic, but in a more realistic style they are clunky no matter which way I try to model them.
    Maybe something like this kind of lace-up military boots might be a happy medium.
    swat1eng1.jpg
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    @dirigible - You seem to pop up everywhere man, you're one of those prolific polycount posters. Thanks for the link. I saw the female version on reddit awhile back and saved it to my references file. Very helpful. I saved the male now too, so thanks for sharing. I think you're right about them being a bit too far in. It's also possible that his head is a bit too wide at the temples, making his forward facing skull seem small compared to his cranium. I'll have to do some reference diving.

You're on to me! Yeah I've been posting a lot recently because 1. I need to stop lurking, and 2. I've tried to stop visiting time-wasting sites (and as a result I spend a lot more time here). Phase two of operation "stop being so worthless" is to start posting my own stuff on here...eventually.

The face-mixing thing is really cool. I think it might have originally started with this site.

[anecdote]Upon a time I was trying to convince this one guy that the facial proportions of his model were off, so I posted an image of the average female mixture overlaid onto his model. His (and others) response was "not every face should be perfectly average, this is supposed to be a unique face!". That is true, making your face unique is a good thing. But I went through that site and compiled a bunch of different faces into a gif, showing that the positions of major facial structures actually change very little, even on "weird looking" faces. Curse me for deleting that .gif, it was pretty cool. Eyebrow height, eye spacing, base of nose height, and middle of mouth height all change VERY little, even across ethnicity and even for unattractive faces. It ultimately showed that his model's face wouldn't just be unique, it would be deformed.[/anecdote]
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks for the anecdote. I remembered this resource from awhile back, the 'beauty mask'.

http://www.beautyanalysis.com/mba_reposefrontalmaskapplication_page.htm

It doesn't seem 100% accurate, but it does a good job of pointing out what you were saying -- that in most people, features very little. It's the subtle difference and deviations that make something unique, and not really massive changes.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Do you have a link to that female version of the generic faces by nationality thing? It's make for a handy reference alongside the male one.
  • zxcman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zxcman polycounter lvl 10
    I love his face man!
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    @zxcman - Thanks!

@Jackablade - Yeah, it's a good reference image. I didn't know there was a male version so thanks again to Dirigible for posting it.

Here's a link to the female version - http://feministphilosophers.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/averageface.jpg

And also a link to higher-res images of average faces, male and female, sorted by nationality. - http://www.mediadump.com/hosted-id167-average-faces-from-around-the-world.html
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex wrote: »
    And also a link to higher-res images of average faces, male and female, sorted by nationality. - http://www.mediadump.com/hosted-id167-average-faces-from-around-the-world.html
    thisisdelicious.jpg
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Updates! Got another hour in this morning. Crits and comments appreciated.

I8R68.jpg
    Fw3YU.jpg
    95Vea.jpg
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going to make him shaved-head? I, for one, would like it if you kept the hair.

Some of his facial features have been bothering me, did a paintover to show what I mean.
    23syrd3.gif
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I will do Kaneda's black hair, although I might update it just a bit. Nothing wrong with bad hair, but the straight down thing over his eyes kinda bothers me a bit.

Thanks for the paintover.
  • Noodle!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noodle! polycounter lvl 8
    It looks very nice so far!
    I do think he looks a bit more Chinese than Japanese at the moment, and I feel the pants should be a bit more loose (if you want to stick closer to the original).
    And as you probably guess, I also echo the boots.

http://www.modernbuddy.com/pix/motorcycle-injuries.jpg
    http://www.toplessrobot.com/kaneda%20jacket.jpg
    http://www.collectiondx.com/gallery2/gallery/d/528544-2/kaneda13.jpg

In these boots they have less of a big fold over, like you had originally, and they don't taper down as much. I think this might also have to do with his pants being slightly more loose in the original.

For all the great work you've put into it I'd say it's a shame to skip the boots without more trials, as it gives him a lot more character.

However, it's still coming along awesomely.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Got some more work done, first in about a week. Did a quick glove pass and worked on the facial features, and then made a couple changes to his outfit. I wish I had more time for this. Mornings are all I can manage right now.

@noodle -- Thanks for the input (and the links). I can't say that much is going to change my mind at this point about the boots. I get why people want them though, I do.

Uqz5f.jpg
    As9vd.jpg
  • Sandro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dat's a nice model, good control of forms, very subtle and natural stuff.

Btw, I think you overworked his eyes on this update, previous one was spot on. Asians tend to have pretty thick skin on eyelids, so you don't get that much creasing and sagging, especially in younger people.

beforeafter31.jpg
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    i guess it's meant to be a side effect of drugs and wild lifestyle, but it might be indeed overdone.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Thanks Sandro, I did indeed overdo it. Blaisoid is correct in that Kaneda is supposed to seem a bit cracked out, he's a street gang biker on mood drugs, after all, but I went a bit heavy on the eyes there. I should add some grit to his skin too, maybe some scabs along his jaw-line or something.

At any rate, thanks for the replies, guys.
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I never read the manga, but I got the impression from the film that Kaneda's gang never took drugs, which is why it was a big deal when Tetsuo DID.