Home General Discussion

Modeling without exact images

I've always up until now have used front and side image planes when modeling. Like when taking off the training wheels on a bike, I've decided to model for the first time with images, but not in my view-port. I've got bunch of quarter turns and different poses that my reference images show, but it seems that when I attempt to model the results are skewed of what my images relate. I've started over and now posting here in search of tips from the many talented guys and gals here.

Any helpful tips and advice you can give I appreciate.

Replies

• Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    This is because front and side views are drawn orthographically, meaning no perspective. So when drawing angled views we need to put in perspective. Quite often the perspective wont be perfect in the drawing either, so while it is possible to match it up using the field of view of the camera, its not really worth it.

You need to learn how to model by eye, and get a feeling across from the concept art, and even start to design small parts of it that aren't there for direct reference.

Good luck!
  • SnowInChina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SnowInChina interpolator
    start blocking in really rough shapes to get a feel for the dimension and angles, they are quick to change and give you a general feeling how its supposed to look
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Start drawing as well if you can. It will really help reading conceptart when you better know what the artist was thinking with his lines. And even if there are areas you don't understand you will be better equipped to fill them in yourself.
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Good advice so far... If you need some more material, I suggest you take a look at some books like "the Vilppu Drawing Manual" or the more popular "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain". Vilppu has some good training videos too. You can get good information on how to analyze what you see in terms of perspective, forms etc.

In addition, if you are using photographs, avoid using photos taken from short distances if you can. The perspective effect shows in a more subtle way if the photohgraph is taken from a longer distance.
  • thepapercut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wanted to say thanks to all your guys posts and advice! My internet had been out for a day or two and my work schedule is odd so it took me a while to get a chance to log on again. I've started a new model and I'll be posting it hopefully in the next day or so for critiques and help.

Once Again thanks to all and everyone that provides advice.