Home Technical Talk

(3DS Max) combining two square textures into one wide one...

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Chimp interpolator
Hello all,

Quick technical question here, I am currently optimising my art for a game that I am working on and I am having to combine two models into one, these models are already textured with 1024x1024 textures each.

I'd like to attach the meshes and then move the uv's over into a 2048x1024.

I did some searching around but I probably do not know the terms so I would really love it if you guys could help me.

I have tried changing the size in the UV editor to 2048x1024 but this stretches out my UVs?! is there not a way to make the non-square texture space without ruining my existing uvs?

How would you approach this?

Thanks,

Chimp x

Replies

• AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    Max's handling of non square UVs is pretty bad- I think your best bet is to type in a U offset of 1 for the sheet you want on the right. Then add some extra objects to your mesh and place their verts at exact UV cord corners (0,0 0,1 2,0 and 2,1). Then with grid snap on and the free transform gizmo you can move the right edge of the transform box from being at UV 2 to UV 1. After that you can delete the objects acting as anchor points.

Someone else may know of a less convoluted way to do this.
  • Shogun3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shogun3d polycounter lvl 12
    In max, you need to apply a UVW Xform modifier and set the U Tile to 0.5, then apply an Unwrap UVW at 2048x1024.