Home General Discussion

Smart Phones Stress You Out!

R3D
interpolator
Offline / Send Message
R3D interpolator
The study found that stress was associated with the personal use of smart phones but not with work. In particular, a relationship was found between stress and the amount of times the phone was checked, with the most stressed amongst us experiencing ‘phantom’ vibrations when in fact there have been no alerts.

http://www.bps.org.uk/news/turn-your-smart-phone-beat-stress

BRB checking email.

Replies

• JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    The problem with smartphones, is that you permanently have Plants vs Zombies at your fingertips at all times.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Oh man I so compulsively check my phone for updates and shit. Especially if I have nothing to do. But if I am distracted by work or fun I totally forget my phone exists. But if I am at home, bored, just watching TV or something I am always checking it.
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    usually when at home it sits in a different room so if it does go off i wouldn't notice till a hour or so later, and thats the way i like it, since i dont want to see like im always available to people when im at home relaxing, and when with my gf, both of us do the same and just completely ignore them.
  • Kwramm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kwramm interpolator
    who would have thought? We're bad multitaskers. If we get interrupted, or interrupt ourselves, we get stressed. Same thing with people who have to check their mail all the time, people who get distracted from work because they switch to a web browser every 5 minutes... ain't good for productivity nor your stress levels.

I think they've even done a study at MS at some point. No phones, no e-mail, no people randomly popping into offices for a certain period every day. No surprise, productivity went up because people could focus and everyone was happy.
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    Pffffft. I don't have a smartphone, and I'm stressed out the wazoo!
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    *Looks at his dumbphone*

...meh.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    Ha!! I still have a not-so-smart phone (flip phone). It's great to not be so connected. Phone calls are enough.
  • RexM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still only have a flip phone too...

Just think of it... soon, they'll have text messages that work based on voice recognition.... and by that time, you might as well've called the person in the first place anyways.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm terrible with my smart phone.

At one point I used to pull out my phone and read facebook, wikipedia, or whatever right in the middle of a conversation with people. My girlfriend had to smack me across the head a few times for me to even realize I was doing it...its just habit.

I definitely get ghost vibrations, and I'm glued to my phone. I usually tap my pocket every 10 minutes out of habit just to make sure it is there.

....and its a good thing I don't have any friends...otherwise I'd have to talk/text to them on top of everything else :p.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    RexM wrote: »
    I still only have a flip phone too...

Just think of it... soon, they'll have text messages that work based on voice recognition.... and by that time, you might as well've called the person in the first place anyways.

Pretty sure they already have that. Hands free text messaging and all.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    RexM wrote: »

We already do. Siri.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    gsokol wrote: »
    I usually tap my pocket every 10 minutes out of habit just to make sure it is there.

I do this all the time with my wallet/phone. However im just Paranoid I may drop it or someone may pickpocket me.
  • Andreas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Andreas polycounter lvl 11
    My 'smartphone' keeps crashing. Which I'm sure is very safe in the case of an emergency.

Haha gsokol and Ryswick I am permanently tapping pockets for my keys phone and wallet! I thought it was some kind of nervous tick I had, good to hear its kinda common.
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Lamont wrote: »
    Ha!! I still have a not-so-smart phone (flip phone). It's great to not be so connected. Phone calls are enough.

I miss that...Now that I have smartphone I dont find much use for it, aside from checking the gmail when I am in the bus or play game dev story besides receiving calls. (yes I dont call any one unless it is necessary).<.<
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I probably look like I'm compulsively smacking my own ass every few minutes.

is it an Asda phone?

Personally i just turn Data off when I'm not working. it keeps outside distractions to a minimum.