Home Technical Talk

Low poly texturing in Zbrush

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
Hello everyone. Just wanted to ask how would it be best to texture a low poly model within zbrush that is constructed out of many different pieces? I am very new to texturing and havent done much before, would be great if some1 can explain best way to do it. thanks :)

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    How low are we talking, exactly? Normally painting in zbrush is meant more to be done on a high-poly mesh (polypainting using its vertex colors), which then gets baked onto the low.

If you just have a low poly mesh that you want textured, you could try subdividing it without any smoothing and then painting on it that way. In a case like that I would probably prefer giving the thing UVs, dropping it with Projection Master, and then Zapplinking it to photoshop to do most of the painting there. That would let you project the result onto the texture instead of needing the higher polycount to work with.

Generally speaking I wouldn't texture in zbrush unless I was working off of a sculpt.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough, the reason I am asking is because I already made a high res/ low res and baked it. And not long ago I came to a conclusion that it is best for me to minimise amount of software I am using to only critical ones and that would be best for me, so i chose zbrush over mudbox and downside for zbrush is texturing which isnt working the way I want. model I am working on atm has 2 seams across model that would be easily noticeable if painted in PS only. I was trying to think of how I am going to approach texturing that model, but now it is clear it seems. :) Thanks
  • passerby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    passerby polycounter lvl 12
    what is your 3d modeling package, in max you could use viewport canvas to clone over hte seam left behind by PS or use Texture Paint in Blender to do the same.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Photoshop also lets you paint on the mesh. The controls are terrible, but for just cleaning up seams it works.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    Mudbox can help u on this one.
  • Vrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vrav polycounter lvl 11
    I understand you're trying to cut down on the number of apps in your pipeline but Blender has great texture painting tools for painting in 3D, and the texture painting in Pixologic's Sculptris is actually not bad for lowpoly models either (though it has more bugs than Blender, it's certainly easier to jump into).

Have used both to clean up minor seam issues in the colour and specular maps for models otherwise fully textured in Photoshop. I've also used both to paint masks that pass over UV seams, which I then use for adjusting colours and overlaying other details in PS.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am a Maya user, and trying to restrict myself at the moment to use only: Maya, Zbrush, PS, Xnormal and nDo2. After posting I realised how I can workaround a problem of seams quite easily all I need to do is simply texture whatever I want in PS and then bring it in to Zbrush, zapplink it to photoshop like cryrid said, or just simply do it in PS :)

HAWK12HT, yeah I know. but as I said above I am trying to cut down my pipeline to least amount of apps to produce work, and Mudbox is out of it. Thanks for your reply guys :)