Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Great Butcher Complete

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
MrHobo polycounter lvl 13
NECRO POST!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooooo... Been a while, hehehe. I had to put this aside for a good while but its always sat on my Hard drive nagging me so I made a good push these last few weeks to finish this up.

butcherconstance4.jpg

OLD SHIT STARTS HERE, NEW SHIT AT THE BOTTOM

Made a thread for this ages ago but now that it's done I figure it's time to pimp this in a new thread for the new year.
Decided a while back that I needed a really good portfolio to land a summer internship. So I decided to start building one...

This is the second character towards my goal, The Great Butcher.
butcher1.jpg
butcher2.jpg
butcher3.jpg

He's a bit over 15k poly (I figure aint too much for a boss type), which is everything including his knife plus chains...:
butcher4.jpg

Stomach interior...:
screenshot2ta.jpg

And his skirt/chain combo plus the arms reaching out:
butcher6.jpg

Textures were one 2048 set for the body itself; one 1024 set for for the gut chains and knife, and one 256 set for the child arms:
I admit things could have been optimized a bit better here, but live learn and move on, right?
butchermaps.jpg

Sculpt was done almost a year ago in Zbrush:
butchersculpt2.jpg
butchersculptib.jpg

Now onto other projects that need some TLC.

Edit: Forgot to post the wire shot
butcher5.jpg

Replies

• copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    copyright polycounter lvl 7
    Is the axe head supposed to be made out of metal? Right now it looks like it's made out of some type of concrete or stone material, nice overall.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thannks!
    Yeah it's a stone type material.
  • copyright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    copyright polycounter lvl 7
    Very unusual that you picked stone, it would be hard as hell to carve stone into that kind of shape haha, especially with primitive techniques.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    True, but I figured it would be more of a challenge to try a different material than usual.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    At 15K I think you really shouldn't be using planes for chain links.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good point, I hadn't considered that, but are you talking about the skirt chains? Or the chains on the knife? Or both?
    In hindsight it would have been better it seems to go big on the geo for the knife chains.
    Thanks, for the crit!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I agree, with snader, some sort of geometry to the chain (at least the knife one) would help, especially considering the tri-count. Some of your geometry seems a little misplaced and unnecessarily dense in places. The hands coming out of his body seem particularly dense for what they are. They could also benefit from a little more natural posing I think.

Overall I really like this piece though, and what you've done with the blood material is really convincing/cool looking.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you for the info Crit, I'll go back before I put this in my portfolio and take care of the density in those arms.
    Hopefully if I have time I'll also go ahead and make some actual geo for the knife chains.

Nice to know that my hard work on the blood is showing through. Thanks again!
  • n88tr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i like how he has little hands coming out of him
    dunno if you did that in place of stitches or what
    suggestion to have hands of different sizes
  • Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Good job. I think he could be pushed a bit harder in a few areas; silhouette, anatomy, normal map detail and texture- also I feel the arms felt more like an afterthought than integral to the design but I moved them around as well as got rid of the chain connection to the hand - it felt flimsy. Overall I wanted to do a paintover that conveyed the power and grotesque nature of your design but streamlined the elements to read better(in my opinion)

ButcherPO.gif
  • nicafornica
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nicafornica polycounter lvl 7
    nice paintover and the blood came out nice on the original piece.
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Nice Paintover Dan.
    I agree with your though about the arms, they don't quite pop out and if you look at where they penetrate the body they don't seem to be incorporated into the folds of his flesh.
    However I think that having them coming out of his sucher'ed stomach (compared with hanging from his belt) to be a little bit more grim and exciting.

I'm reminded of the iron bull torture from the immortals.

However something does need to be done to bring them into a bit more contrast tonally, perhaps change the hue to a more yellow/green tint like dead flesh?

Just some thoughts.
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    I like Dan!'s paintover a lot.

Overall I do like the idea of the hands coming out of the chest, although I really wasn't sold on the execution in the actual piece. I agree that they seemed more like an afterthought. Partly because we don't really see any bulges or stretching or tearing at that opening where they are sticking out of him. Instead it's clearly just one model penetrating through another.

If you didn't want to spend too much time reworking this, I honestly think it's better without the arms sticking out, just because it seems like less effort was put there than for the rest of the model.
  • JamesWarren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesWarren polycounter lvl 5
    Shiniku wrote: »
    I like Dan!'s paintover a lot.

Overall I do like the idea of the hands coming out of the chest, although I really wasn't sold on the execution in the actual piece. I agree that they seemed more like an afterthought. Partly because we don't really see any bulges or stretching or tearing at that opening where they are sticking out of him. Instead it's clearly just one model penetrating through another.

If you didn't want to spend too much time reworking this, I honestly think it's better without the arms sticking out, just because it seems like less effort was put there than for the rest of the model.

Agreed. The arms coming out of the chest are a nice idea but I think it currently takes away from the model.
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Im in agreement with all of you. Originally the idea was to have an entire child crouched in the stomach area reaching out, the arms were a compromise idea based on time.
    As it stands now what I'll do is revert to an earlier mesh sans stomach opening and arms ditch the knife chains for my portfolio for the spring.
    What I'd like to do is using Dan's paintover as a basis (FUCKING AWESOME JOB MAN) double back to this character over the summer hopefully and make changes as well as actually do the actual child idea and real chains.

n88tr-Thank You, hopefully I can push the hand idea further over the summer
    Dan- Seriously, thank you a ton, you took what I had to a whole nother level.
    BoneBrew- Never got to see Immotals :(
    Im going to keep your color crit in mind for the next pass. I was trying to keep the colors closer to what you see in chemical burns situations, but I can definitely feel the contrast being better with a yellow shift. Thanks
    Shiniku- Agreed not my best execution with those arms. As stated above they are gone for now.
    JamesWarren- Double Agree lol.

Once again thank you all for the awesome crits and ideas! I'll post an update with the arms and chains removed when I get a chance.
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    boss paintover, but it is close to the original, so just great designs overall here. As far as the model right now I didn't notice the plane-chains as much of a problem, but the hands coming out of the stomach seemed a little denser with tris than they needed to be
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NECRO POST!!!!!!!!!!!

Sooooo... Been a while, hehehe. I had to put this aside for a good while but its always sat on my Hard drive nagging me so I made a good push these last few weeks to finish this up.

I took a lot of the crit that was handed to me and tried to roll it into the direction I wanted.
    I'll be doing a quick and dirty rig at some point for a few different poses, like sticking the girl in his belly.

The Butcher is close to 8k tris by himself with all his gear around 22k tris. Most of that came from the long chain I think. The girl is arond 9700 tris.

butcherconstance1.jpg
    butcherconstance1wires.jpg
    butcherconstance3.jpg
    butcherconstance4.jpg

2k texture for the Butchers body, 1K for accessories (Skirt, Chain Mail, Knife,, Tools, Chain, Gut) 256 for the arms, and the girl is a 1k set:
    butcherconstancetexture.jpg
  • AimBiZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AimBiZ polycounter lvl 14
    Pretty cool. You should put blood spills on floor where the butcher stands.
  • Blaisoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaisoid polycounter lvl 7
    aaahhh, fresh meat.

i can see the potential here. but it's not as fleshed out as it could be imo.
    not sure what exactly could be changed, but i'd play around with skin texture since it's very baby-like at the moment and tweak the eyeball material to make it less matte.
    also, cleaver's blade doesn't really look like metal, it's too bright on diffuse and too dark on specular.
  • yannage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those staples make me cringe D:!

Those cuffs on the girl look pretty cool

Awesome work !
  • MrHobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @AimBiz- Good point, a little blood here and there (maybe dried so it doesn't compete with the characters) should tie everything together more.

@Blaisoid- I can't say that it's perfect skin but in order to get the blood and skin to a presentable level together I had to settle on what it is now, which all together I'm happy with. As for the Cleaver, it's not supposed to be metal, it's a stone type material. :)

@yannage- Thanks man.