Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Another M4!

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
Started this about 4 months ago and found some more time to work on it again. Low came out to be about 11,000 triangles. Any comments/crit are welcome, anything to make it better.

low bake (already fixed that weird triangle error)
iszEy.jpg

cBjTh.jpg

kUk9v.jpg

Also there's transparency on the magazine window, but I couldn't get it to work right in marmoset

Replies

• Dim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dim polycounter lvl 10
    Looks rad! Maybe put a little more color into the metal from oiling, etc. ala

4421_1318500490_large.jpg

From: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=89830

Also, make your spec work a little harder! I really wanna see a lot more of the scratching, dirt and grime in the spec more than the diffuse. I think that'll give the metal a lot more character.

Looking killer though.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    I agree with what dim is saying here. The diffuse is looking, great, the bake is killer, but the spec is certainly lacking at the moment. A better lighting setup would help this out as well. Try and get some rim light all up in there.
  • jackalope
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jackalope polycounter lvl 11
    I think your magpull pmag would look better if you had rounds in it. instead of making it white. like this:

pmag2.jpg
  • bipolar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bipolar polycounter lvl 7
    I agree with Jackalope...having the rounds in the clip would be a nice addition. That being said, I still love all the detail you out in....the grip and the stock stand out the most to me...
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had it in there, but marmoset didn't like the transparency. Here's a screenshot without hitting the render output

5wSIz.png

Thanks for the comments so far, still working on tweaking the spec map
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    Tan parts are too organy

DSC00620.jpg
  • Amadreaus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree and second what's been said here. The tan color is throwing me bigtime. I'd say, desaturate and lighten it up some. And yes, spec spec spec.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's where I'm at right now. I tweaked the tan a bit but I didn't want it to look too tan because it's supposed to be flat dark earth, which is different than actual tan. Perhaps if it's still not working I'll make another render with the standard black parts. any more suggestions are more than welcome :)

dP8J3.jpg
  • Xendance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xendance polycounter lvl 7
    Is the weapon supposed to look like nobody has taken care of it? Just looking at that massive amount of rust ;)
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's always a thing I'm wondering about... how much 'damage' is enough. I mean if I take a look at the picture of frell it doesn't look anything like that, yet everyone screams for scars and scrapped of edges everywhere.
    So would anyone care to explain why a damaged weapon is more 'appealing'? Because it doesn't realy feel that realistic as it's supposed to be, to me.
    Sorry for the probable off-topic that this may cause.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    A damaged weapon, or grunge on any sort of object, when done properly, can add visual interest to an otherwise bland object. It can also tell a story about how the object has been used. You look at this gun and you know that it has seen some serious action.
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Learn something new every day. That's actually a very convincing argument, thank you very much! :D
    Okay stop the derailing. Back to topic!
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah doesn't matter if you've tried to care for the weapon, when you run around screaming, shells going off around you. You hit the ground, stomach first and crawl your way out of a battle, the rifle will show some scars ;)

That's what I believe anyways, haven't even been close to a firefight. ^^ Safe neutral Sweden for the win!

Nice work by the way, I really like it! I don't really have any crits :)
  • JohnnyCrespo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Being that I have some experience with the real deal, my weapons did get pretty dirty, a lot. But it was always a priority to keep them as clean as possible. I like what you have for the version of the M4, I think you should show off a slightly cleaner version just to show that you can do both. Keep some of the small scratch details where needed. Great job with what you have though.