Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Amir's Portfolio environments

Replies

• choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys :)

I'm currently testing my uniform grass blades shader.
    It automatically picks up the terrain colour for seamless blending.

Here are some tests with a very basic grass model instanced over the landscape :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPA_FlC-9so"]UDK Uniform grass blades shader demonstration - YouTube[/ame]

Sadmoon_05.jpg

Sadmoon_04.jpg

I wish I had the money to buy a DX11 card to use MSAA antialiasing :D

I have also been optimizing the whole scene since I want to put alot of detail while being able to run this on a 3 years old computer. The goal is to have a constant 60fps if possible. I've been using some lods on my models and planning to use massive LODing (mesh merging to reduce draw calls).
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Choco.

I love you. I want to be like you when I grow up. I'm completely serious when I say that.
  • megalmn2000
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    megalmn2000 polycounter lvl 13
    Whoa! Totally love this one! Looks refreshing. :D
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    Really enjoying watching this come together.
  • marq4porsche
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    marq4porsche polycounter lvl 9
    Choco, this is seriously cool. I need to go change my pants now.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Makkon wrote: »
    Choco.

I love you. I want to be like you when I grow up. I'm completely serious when I say that.

I have to disagree with you Makkon... I want to be like you !

megalmn2000, Thegodzero, marq4porshe thanks guys :)
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    I tell you what sir, you make some damn sexy terrain pieces. Keep it up!
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Great work man, really loving it !
    Could you give some tips on how you extracted the normal map from your Texture for the rocks? it looks so clean?
  • fearian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fearian greentooth
    God everything in this scene just oozes style. I know sometimes rim lighting is overused and abused, but here it feels purposeful and right. Really amazing twilight nether-realm feel.
  • BenHenry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BenHenry polycounter lvl 11
    Kill me now. Amazing work!
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    this is amazing. its crazy how you make your own shaders.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sltrOlsson polycounter lvl 14
    Every time I visit this, or you older threads, I keep getting blow of my chair looking at your stuff! You'r a real source of inspiration man!

First of I want to say that sculpting separate rocks like that and combining them in together was a real smart move! Looks great! I guess you just toke a brush a sweeped over the final highpoly plane to get those vertical lines? Or something else?

And I'm wondering if the rock assets in UDK also in "UV" with that 3D projection method or if they have unique UV's? Either way, can't you explain shortly how you went about with them? Because it looks like it's the same texture used on the terrain?

Keep it up man! I love it!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Awesome work man, very nice looking. Just a few pointers, i guess you know them already, but i think you should definitely remove the tiling in distance by using some mixed in macro texture, there are old documents on this in the udn, pretty basic but helps a lot. Another thing which might be cool would be uv displacement via distance and animated, this could look like wind blowing through the grass.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Choco, I really like your work and keep bumping into it quite a lot. :) I am currently working on my uni environment project and I got into trouble of creating a skydome texture myself, you seem to have created yourself. Could you please explain how did you approach creating it? I tried it myself but cant figure out the workflow for it, either to paint it in photoshop, or mudbox over a dome? please please share if you can.

Thanks
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Great work man, really loving it !
    Could you give some tips on how you extracted the normal map from your Texture for the rocks? it looks so clean?
    I used zbrush to make a tilable displacement map which was used to generate a "base normal map" Then I grabbed a photosourced rock texture and generated a normal map with crazybump.
    Both normal maps where blending with crazybump.

Every time I visit this, or you older threads, I keep getting blow of my chair looking at your stuff! You'r a real source of inspiration man!

First of I want to say that sculpting separate rocks like that and combining them in together was a real smart move! Looks great! I guess you just toke a brush a sweeped over the final highpoly plane to get those vertical lines? Or something else?

And I'm wondering if the rock assets in UDK also in "UV" with that 3D projection method or if they have unique UV's? Either way, can't you explain shortly how you went about with them? Because it looks like it's the same texture used on the terrain?

Keep it up man! I love it!
    I did some planning for the rock models and the terrain texture. I wanted them to blend seamlessly so I had to make use of unified texturing workflow.

In other words, the last step in my workflow was texturing the models and the tilable texture at the same time. I made sure that my texturing PSD files where setup in the same way (layers opacity and blending modes for each texture map).

The same individual rocks that I first modeled were used in zbrush and placed together to make the tilable texture.

So long story short, for every set of stones/rocks that you model, you can reuse them to make a tilable texture for applying on your terrain.
    The same thing can be said for your vegetation highpoly models for example.

here is a snapshot of the diffuse texture used for the rock models and the tilable texture :

Diffuse_rock_set03_01.jpg

Diffuse_rock_set03_02.jpg

Awesome work man, very nice looking. Just a few pointers, i guess you know them already, but i think you should definitely remove the tiling in distance by using some mixed in macro texture, there are old documents on this in the udn, pretty basic but helps a lot. Another thing which might be cool would be uv displacement via distance and animated, this could look like wind blowing through the grass.
    thanks for the tips, and ya, I know about the tiling issue, I'm planning to fix that when I get there. As for the grass displacement map, I want to try it out, might aswell add the fact that you could manually paint the areas where the wind affects the terrain grass material and the world offset displacement strength for the grass blade.
    Which means that I'll be able to fake wind obstacles to create a more natural wind blowing effect on the grass.

Hey Choco, I really like your work and keep bumping into it quite a lot. :) I am currently working on my uni environment project and I got into trouble of creating a skydome texture myself, you seem to have created yourself. Could you please explain how did you approach creating it? I tried it myself but cant figure out the workflow for it, either to paint it in photoshop, or mudbox over a dome? please please share if you can.

Thanks
    Your lucky because I'm currently working on it :D

There are different approaches to use depending on the type of sky your are going for : Realistic/stylized ; Procedural/Static or a combination of both.

The easiest and fastest way is probably to use a photosourced skydome texture but its probably the less creative one. You can always add some paintovers to make it look more unique and interesting in mudbox or photoshop.

Thats one way of doing it, but if you are looking for something realistic on which you have lots of control on, I'd suggest you to generate one with XtreamVue software. You can make a photo-realistic skydome texture at your taste and it can aslo be an HDRI image ! Only hard thing about it is that it takes a while to render high resolution textures and there are many parameters to tweak which asks for someone that has a good amount of experience with the software. (the soft costs $$)

As for pure art happiness, you'd probably want to go ahead and paint your sky from scratch in mubox by using stencils and the layer system. This methode is probably the one on which you'll have the most control.

It consists of first painting your stenciles in photoshop or any kind of 2d app then bringing them in mudbox where you'll just start painting and placing your individual clouds.

You can easily end up with something like this in about 15min of work : (test)

Sky_test01.jpg

And I used a handpainted stenciles which I made in PaintToolSai : (Originally alpha masked at a resolution of 4096x4096)

Sky_test02.jpg

Regarding the control : You can organize your cloud layers in mudbox then export them as textures which can be animated in UDK (panning/rotating etc...)

In the end you can make some sort of hybrid between procedural/painted sky.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    Paint tool SAI, cool you are the first one I see mentioning it, i just love it when it comes to freely painting.
    Thanks for that detailed reply to our questions, keep it up man!
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Choco, thanks a lot for your quick reply. Helped a lot, now I will be happily painting my own skyboxes :D
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    choco wrote: »
    I used zbrush to make a tilable displacement map which was used to generate a "base normal map" Then I grabbed a photosourced rock texture and generated a normal map with crazybump.
    Both normal maps where blending with crazybump.

I did some planning for the rock models and the terrain texture. I wanted them to blend seamlessly so I had to make use of unified texturing workflow.

In other words, the last step in my workflow was texturing the models and the tilable texture at the same time. I made sure that my texturing PSD files where setup in the same way (layers opacity and blending modes for each texture map).

The same individual rocks that I first modeled were used in zbrush and placed together to make the tilable texture.

Hope I am understanding this right but you arranged your rock sculpts which you made in zbrush to be projected onto a plane which created a tileable "base" displacement for the rock surface material? If so I am kinda curious as to how you made this texture tileable also in zb :3
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Hope I am understanding this right but you arranged your rock sculpts which you made in zbrush to be projected onto a plane which created a tileable "base" displacement for the rock surface material? If so I am kinda curious as to how you made this texture tileable also in zb :3
    There is a tutorial regarding that at eat3d.com : http://eat3d.com/free/zbrush_tile

Its pretty much the same workflow that I use.

Doing some lighting tests and detailing a bit lately :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcnMwKRThf4"]UDK Lighting setup test - YouTube[/ame]

Sadmoon_07.jpg

Sadmoon_14.jpg

Sadmoon_16.jpg

Sadmoon_06.jpg

This shot is just pure terrain with some grass only (without rock/cliff models)

Sadmoon_18.jpg
  • Froyok
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Froyok greentooth
    I was not a big fan of your previous lighting chocho, but this one is very nice ! =)
    The last screenshot is awesome by the way !
  • Bbox85
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bbox85 polycounter lvl 9
    Mind blown! Awesome stuff choco! Some of the best terrain and rock work I've seen!
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14

Sky_test01.jpg

This is close to reminding me of my most favourite artist of all time. Which makes me want to snatch you away in a sack and make arts with me!!!!

68047.jpg
  • njc6425
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There seems to be a seam.in the first skydome pic you recently added. however i must say that this thread is amazing! doing an assignment now where we are hand painting textures. this thread is so helpful :) also good job
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    wow now you moved from a sweet looking alienlike environment to such a fantastic piece, very very nice man!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    If this was Mass Effect 1 I'd totally drive around your planet. Actually the thing that interests me the most is your floating island back on page 1. I'd love to see a video of it being made someday.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Choco, i was researching a bit on how to make skies, and during my first year when I was doing a vfx assignment we were using hdrshop to make hdri pictures from a chrome ball. have a look at it as you will be able to make similar cloud textures how epic made skydomes in default levels as well as converting cubemaps into skydome etc etc :)
  • Minos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minos polycounter lvl 16
    Habboi wrote: »
    If this was Mass Effect 1 I'd totally drive around your planet. Actually the thing that interests me the most is your floating island back on page 1. I'd love to see a video of it being made someday.

First thing that crossed my mind as well :)
  • urgaffel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    urgaffel polycounter lvl 17
    This looks so fcking hot :) Although I miss the giant floating rocks you had in one of the earlier video, made it look even more outlandish!
  • Tokusei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tokusei polycounter lvl 10
    thanks for the link choco, didn't realise you could tile the document like that :o
    Sadmoon_14.jpg
    so hawt

the grass meshes look a little off, they are really dark at the roots in some screens. I recall teaandcigarettes mention this in his video for 3dmotive, it requires a custom lighting model for two sided materials iirc.

other than that I think it's looking boss, perhaps some small stones/loose rock meshes could be painted around to create more variation around the cliffs
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8

As for the terrain on those screenshots, its fully generated in worldmachine, I didn't do any basic shaping in mudbox regarding that landscape.

sorry to bug/hijack, would you mind briefly explaining or showing your setup in wm to get that result?... how are those nice rock forms only applying to the top ridges? i hope you dont mind!
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    mixeh wrote: »
    sorry to bug/hijack, would you mind briefly explaining or showing your setup in wm to get that result?... how are those nice rock forms only applying to the top ridges? i hope you dont mind!

check out his How to create a terrain for Cryengine series of tutorials, it's got all the information you need.

Choco: I take it you figured out how to get the mapping right so the textures don't stretch on the terrain?
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    Justin_Meisse - i appreciate the suggestion, but i've followed choco's tutorial and have tried tonnes of combinations in wm to produce a similar result to his image i posted and can't seem to get it, its just really bugging me not figuring it out, it would be a perfect backdrop to my environment im working on.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks for the feed back guys, this will help me improve :thumbup:

This is close to reminding me of my most favourite artist of all time. Which makes me want to snatch you away in a sack and make arts with me!!!!
    Haha ya I love Makoto's work too, he's one of my fav next to Miyazaki, I'd suggest you to watch his latest movie " Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below" (Hoshi wo ou kodomo). Every frame of that film is a master piece, its going to be my source of inspiration for the environments I'll be working on.

I even made a post processing effect (based on gradient mapping) which mimics the color moods that Makoto uses in his films. I'll probably implement dynamic tone mapping to cover a wider range of level of gamma/brightness.

There seems to be a seam.in the first skydome pic you recently added. however i must say that this thread is amazing! doing an assignment now where we are hand painting textures. this thread is so helpful :) also good job
    Ya that skydome is place holder, I'm planning to make a fully hand painted one at a higher resolution. I'll add some panning clouds with shadows casted from them onto the scene aswell.

Haha no worries, I might implementing the floating island model in to the scene, I just need to think about how to add it in a natural way without turning the environment into a show case of assets that have nothing to with each others.

Once the whole thing is done, I'll make a bunch of tutorial covering my work-flows and techniques :)
    Hey Choco, i was researching a bit on how to make skies, and during my first year when I was doing a vfx assignment we were using hdrshop to make hdri pictures from a chrome ball. have a look at it as you will be able to make similar cloud textures how epic made skydomes in default levels as well as converting cubemaps into skydome etc etc :)
    Thanks for the tip man, I've always wanted to try out HDRI image editing, I'll definitely give it a try and see what I can get.

so hawt

the grass meshes look a little off, they are really dark at the roots in some screens. I recall teaandcigarettes mention this in his video for 3dmotive, it requires a custom lighting model for two sided materials iirc.

other than that I think it's looking boss, perhaps some small stones/loose rock meshes could be painted around to create more variation around the cliffs
    Ya I know about the issue, I am actually using custom lighting model for each and every element in the environment, the slight dark shadow is coming the baked ambient occlusion (lightmass) casted from the terrain. I'll have to figure out how to lower down the darkness without tempering too much with the overall lighting. Maybe its time to created more vegetation variations and tweak the diffuse texture to avoid that sort of artefact. I'll see if playing around with the diffuse power in the material editor would fix the issue.

Justin_Meisse - i appreciate the suggestion, but i've followed choco's tutorial and have tried tonnes of combinations in wm to produce a similar result to his image i posted and can't seem to get it, its just really bugging me not figuring it out, it would be a perfect backdrop to my environment im working on.
    I'm making use of a different workflow regarding this environment.
    Everything is handpainted and I didn't use any 3rd party application such as worldmachine for the landscape. If you want to achieve this sort of terrain, you'll need to just stick with UDK's landscape painting brushes :) .

Other then that I dont really have any stuff worth showing today but I've been modeling some ruines, improving my painting skills to match Makoto Shinkai's work, creating new workflows for texturing in mudbox with heavy usage of custom made stencils to achieve unique results in a very short time (modular texturing workflow).
  • mixeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mixeh polycounter lvl 8
    hehe, i meant if you could show your wm setup for this image here as i can't get that result: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1420261&postcount=8361

the one you are doing now is far too advanced for me :(
  • BlvdNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BlvdNights polycounter lvl 8
    Knocking it outta the park with this one. Fantastic.
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    I just saw your ruins sculpt on the "what are you working on" thread, and could you give some info on the technique? what did you use for the fine cracks. It looks awesome.Not a lot of people use Mudbox, so its hard to find someone that does amazing stuff with it.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks, I made a custom vector displacement map stamp which is used for sculpting clean cracks.

You can download my brush stamp here : http://dl.dropbox.com/u/53969153/Mudbox/Amir%27s%20VDM%20Crack%20brush%20Mudbox%202012.rar
    (works best with tablet pen for pressure sensitivity)
    Use the same settings as on the screenshot : (also dont forget to read the mudbox documentation regarding vector displacement maps for making your own vdm stencils/stamps).

Crack_brush_01.jpg

As for building ruins, I've been trying to figure out the best and fastest way for modeling high quality ruins.
    I have been using 3dcoat for its voxel sculpting system it seems to do a great job at merging meshes together into one big chunk.

Its pretty much boolean modelling with pre-made parts (in this case stones). You can add/subtract with your own meshes.

Stone_wall_03_00.jpg

When I was done putting together the base highpoly mesh in 3dcoat, I exported the voxels as dense quads to mudbox where I refined the details.
    The only problem about this is that you get non manifold polys in your highpoly mesh, which means that you can't subdivide it... but you can still sculpt and use it as a highpoly mesh for generating your texture maps (normals, AO, etc...).
    Long story short, keep an eye on your poly count in 3dcoat when you are putting together your model.

Screenshot of the same mesh detailed in mudbox (2million polys)

Stone_wall_03_01.jpg

Stone_wall_03_02.jpg

This new workflow opens lots of new perspectives to me since I can now model pretty much anything I want very fast.
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    Haha ya I love Makoto's work too, he's one of my fav next to Miyazaki, I'd suggest you to watch his latest movie " Children Who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below" (Hoshi wo ou kodomo). Every frame of that film is a master piece, its going to be my source of inspiration for the environments I'll be working on.

I even made a post processing effect (based on gradient mapping) which mimics the color moods that Makoto uses in his films. I'll probably implement dynamic tone mapping to cover a wider range of level of gamma/brightness.

I watched that movie on the flight back from the states! Loved every minute! Such a shame it was such a small screen though. Will have to buy a HD version. I'm also going to be swinging my art towards his style and mood. I just love his use of colour and form.

If you can get the Post to work out, that would be amazing! I really look forward to seeing it :D
  • pseudoBug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pseudoBug polycounter lvl 18
    Many thanks for dropping that 3dcoat workflow idea. Gonna have to check it out again.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    I've been working on a set of ruins lately : (AO + Normal map only)

Ruins_01.jpg

Planning to model debris, broken arches, floors, trims, decals with parallax occlusion mapping etc... I might consider switching back to CE3 since I'm having a hard time fixing the Normal map/lightmap seams which appear in UDK.
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How much do you know you will keep from UDK then? I mean, you got your nice rim shader and that box UV thingy. Is that stuff that's in CE?
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    CE has those feature by default, the transition should be easy since all I have to do is export terrain from UDK and convert it for CE. Or I can just paint a new one and optimize it to use voxels (caves, cliffs overhangs).
    Main reason why I'm switching to CE is for the overall quality when you work on huge levels, the anti-aliasing helps alot when you are looking at an area in the distance.
    I was working on lots of custom stuff in UDK such as Volumetric clouds which react to light, tessellated ocean shader for DX9 (water material applied to a landscape with worldpostionoffset, tidal waves), dynamic tone mapping etc... But I realised that I was wasting too much time on the technical part and I needed to move on in order to get my portfolio done and hope to get my first job in the industry.

I'm currently testing out some of my assets in the engine and my stuff looks pretty good considering that I didn't spend much time tweaking. Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some results to show off.
  • Iciban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    no way! i thought u already have a job with this talent. really love your work
  • sltrOlsson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okey, if they have most of the features in there already it really makes sense to switch. Just remember to put up all the info and what not from this project in your portfolio. I know that all your documentation and presentation you've done in UDK would be a very good addition to a portfolio, don't waste it!

Eager to see what you'll come up with in CE!
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    ...But I realised that I was wasting too much time on the technical part and I needed to move on in order to get my portfolio done and hope to get my first job in the industry.
    *flips table*
    Man! I thought you were already in the industry! FFFFFFFFFFFFFF
  • ParoXum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ParoXum polycounter lvl 9
    But I realised that I was wasting too much time on the technical part and I needed to move on in order to get my portfolio done and hope to get my first job in the industry.

Oh yeah, trust me on that one, sometimes you 're better doing a two month sprint on a very nice map, and land a job right after that.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Your art makes me very very happy.

^_^

BTW If you have a degree of some kind, I'm sure I could land you a job somewhere in Montreal in like 5mins.
  • choco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    choco polycounter lvl 10
    Thanks guys I really appreciate it, very motivating.
    Okey, if they have most of the features in there already it really makes sense to switch. Just remember to put up all the info and what not from this project in your portfolio. I know that all your documentation and presentation you've done in UDK would be a very good addition to a portfolio, don't waste it!

Eager to see what you'll come up with in CE!
    I'm thinking of using UDK for the stylised scene I first started (floating islands), I'm sure that all the knowledge I gained will be useful when I come back to it :)
    Your art makes me very very happy.

^_^

BTW If you have a degree of some kind, I'm sure I could land you a job somewhere in Montreal in like 5mins.
    I'm glad you like it ! Unfortunately I never went to college or school to learn anything that's related with 2d/3d art, I learned everything by myself from drawing to modelling. And now I'm learning about animation and character modelling with proper anatomy.
    I'm what you'd call a "wannabe" environmental artist haha :D
    If you think that someone needs my skills, I'd gladly join in as a junior artist :thumbup:

On the other hand, I did some work today on the cryengine.
    I'm working on a 2km² terrain entirely handpainted (I'm trying to avoid 3rd party apps).
    Here is some very early work in progress :

Forbidden_Lands_CE3_01.jpg

Forbidden_Lands_CE3_02.jpg

Forbidden_Lands_CE3_03.jpg

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vA6ax7wbj9E"]Cryengine 3 : Forbidden Lands Project WIP - YouTube[/ame]
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, have you been playing Dear Esther or what?

This is a strong execution with fantastic presentation (watch the youtube full screen 1080p [click the gear]).

I feel the scene is repetitive with the same rocks and scale everywhere, with limited color variation up close. However, I feel this may be unjustified with the WIPiness of this scene.

Also, as much as I love this thread, it'd be great to see something in a dramatically different style (than rocks).
  • Helba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beautifull enviroment i never see, GREAT work, stunning mood :thumbup: