Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

can I get a portfolio review?

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
reverendK polycounter lvl 7
Briefly:
I am a student at the Art Institute in San Diego studying Game Art. I'm set to graduate in March. The school primarily revolves around 3d environment art but I've been trying to focus myself more on concept art, though I'm essentially marketing myself as a generalist.

Critique on any of my 2d or 3d stuff is welcome, even on the website itself would be great.

www.artofoddk.com

thank ye kindly

Replies

• wolver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    please kill the zbrush default shader render you have it looks awful xD use marmoset or w/e to get a clay render
    your portfolio is good
    might be worth making a showreel of your 3d work since you seem to have decent amount of it, then linking that showreel on your site
  • Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    I don't think a showreel would be the best option if you are looking for a game art job, the simpler the better, having a video just complicates things :)

I think I saw a spaceship in there that used 36.000 tri's, seams incredibly high for that model.
  • Farfarer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The finished piece of the crashed ship is the most impressive of the 3D bunch - I'd perhaps swap that to be the 3D image on the front page.

Having said that, you might do better to just put both the 2D and 3D on one page, with the field you'd prefer to go into first. Bump up the thumbnail size of the 2D stuff a litte, too. Folk won't mind a bit of scrolling - it's burying the content deep that's off-putting and you've already got that 2D/3D choice barrier in there blocking direct access to your work.

Content-wise, if you're wanting to focus more on concept art positions, I'd have that up there on the front page and sideline the 3D bits (i.e. http://www.artofoddk.com/2d.html this becomes your index page).

Also, I'd pull the driver/barista/valet jobs from your CV - it's not really relevant to game art. You've enough relevant experience in there already.
  • knak47
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Your Lighting really needs work, there are areas that are just completely black. Also I would invest a little more time on your texturing. Perhaps check out the WIKI and go over some tutorials.