Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Middle East House - need some advice

iniside
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
iniside polycounter lvl 6
Here is my first attempt (though been playing with this for quite some time).

I'm planning to make three types: Poor, Middle, and Rich. Poor is here, and it will be base to extrapolate to higher classes.
My main problem was to find any good references, and find good proportions. Both unresolved I think ;p.

Optimization and so on is not an issue at this point. Just need some advice on achieving good look on multi level building, without clean separation of floors.

KKmM5.jpg
SNQgb.jpg
V9Z5M.jpg

Replies

• Kratilim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go to a cheap book store and look for some books filled with photo's. Most of the best reference comes from those books. Most of the photo's in those books are copywrited, so you won't find them easily on google.

You might also find some good stuff here: http://freetextures.3dtotal.com
  • KartoonHead
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KartoonHead polycounter lvl 4
    Definitely a solid start, but the wood looks all wrong, think about the environment; blazing hot sun, dry desert. The wood would be completely bleached and dry as bone. Yours is far too saturated and doesn't show much weathering or wear. Another good thing to do is to wash-out the edges and corners of the wood to give it a drier look, which also helps to pop the geometry a bit, making it more interesting to look at.
  • HAWK12HT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HAWK12HT polycounter lvl 12
    goggle it, check Iraq, Afghanistan and Saudia and South Asian urban areas. To get the feel of wear and tear for texture details. Wood placement kinda looks out of place. Just curious to know during which era of middle east you are making this house, it will also help you get better picture in terms of reference.
  • iniside
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iniside polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks, I've start completely redoing this one. and so far it look better, but not ready yet.
    Just curious to know during which era of middle east you are making this house, it will also help you get better picture in terms of reference.
    That's good question. Because I'm aiming at something between Babylon/Ancient Egypt and about 8-11 century of our era. I want to give it more Fantasy/Hyborian Feel of Stygia/Acheron/Turan.
    Thus I don't want it to be super realistic and/or historically accurate.
  • ktrmaya