Home Technical Talk

Zbrush Decimation Master Crash

Hey guys.

So I just got done modeling my first character in zbrush (4R2). In the end it topped out at like 21 mil points with 80 subtools. My next step was to decimate it so that I could bring it into Maya but I keep running into problems.

First error I got was that I would click pre-process all and it would say that I have duplicated named subtools. Which is not true. But then I just decided I would merge them all together with SubTool Master and then preprocess it.

This brings me to the next error. Everything seems to go fine until it says "computing mesh" or something like that. A little ways into that it gives me a pop up from Windows say that "DecimationMasterApp64.exe has stopped working".

I have tried only processing parts but I still get the same issues.

Can anyone help me!?

Thanks!

Talbot

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I'd try deleting the cache and running it on a test sphere to see if it is in working order. If it crashes even then, maybe go into the preferences and turn off 64bit Decimation.
  • AnimeAngel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have had this happen a time or two. Sometimes I have had to just go through and process one subtool at a time. Doing this will often identify which subtools are bad and which ones work fine. Unfortunately with 80 subtools this could take some extra time to do.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay so I've tried turning that thing off. But then it says I didn't have enough memory. So I broke it up into pieces under 5 mil points but that still didn't work.

So now I'm going down one subtool at a time. And I'm up to 90 subtools now. ugh.

But I did find one and was able to fix it by just running dynamesh to clean it up.
  • Talbot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ugh so I went down one by one. Merged and it didn't work. So then I went and preprocessed all without it merged and it worked. Which is odd because in the VERY beginning I did it without merged and it came up with an error of duplicated names. Ugh.

Anyway there is still time for something to go wrong.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    80-90 subtools is a big list to check for subtools that share the same name
  • Dylan Brady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    sometimes I get issues if I have uncolapsed layers too. s what I usualy do now before decimating is I bake all the layers down. then delete all the SUB-D levels. THEN decimate.
    but it sounds like your issue was just plain brute force polies.