Bort (Game Dev)

Replies

• Stinger88
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    Thanks theslingshot :D

Here's a simple animatic to show off a WIP ambient track created for the game. Enjoy.

[ame=" ambient OST (WIP1) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Stinger88
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    Small update: This is a Fugger. One of Hell's many security guards.

Demon2_fugger_sml.jpg
  • Stinger88
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    Wow. Been ages since an update. We are still very busy with the game though.

Anyhoo. Here's some palette tests for the games various areas in Hell. Hope you like em!

Hell (default)
    Bort_LAVA_pal.jpg

Cave
    Bort_cave_pal.jpg

Slime ver1.
    Bort_purple_pal.jpg

Slime ver2.
    Bort_slime_pal.jpg
  • Shanthosa
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 202 Replies
    I dig this a lot.
  • theslingshot
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 183 Replies
    I'm not sold yet on the slimes one maybe a mix between the two palettes cause right now it's too saturated/desaturated, but the cave one looks great ^^
  • rooster
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 6.3K Replies
    good stuff! what's the final game view going to be? same but wider? or a portion of what we see here
  • WipEout
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 287 Replies
    This is awesome stuff!

FWIW, I prefer Slime V.2, but maybe redden the foreground colors a tad more (compliment the green a bit more). Also, default Hell's midground colors might sell the environment more if you redden the layer immediately around the red background-- just to tie in the two major tones a bit more. I would actually try a soft orange tint to that layer, with the base red layer closer to orange than red (like the red-orange of a cartoony flame, for example). Either way, this is great stuff, I can't wait to check this game out!
  • Stinger88
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    Thanks guys.

@theslingshot: I agree the slime ones are a bit more colourful than the others. Might have to tone it down to bring it in line with the other 2.

@roo: Yeah. Same but wider for the default view. Won't be sure till we get a playable build (SOON hopefully) to see it in action. We also thinking the camera will be zooming in and out occationally, depending on how much of a particular level/puzzle element needs to be seen in advance. This should be quite subtle though not a jarring zoom.

@Wipeout: Thanks for the feedback. The Lava in the Hell palette will also have a heat haze with a gradient over the lower terrain. This should also help tie everything together. Will try your ideas out.
  • Stinger88
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    @ George1: Either you're spam or google translate isn't quite working as expected.

Spam I think as my emailed notifacation includes a url for "cleaning cassettes"... A dying art IMO.

anyhoo. Thanks for thinking about taking the time to learn to join me. fast, slow I don't mind. :)
  • TheGoozah
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 104 Replies
    Cool stuff! *subscribed*
  • cupsster
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 451 Replies
    subscribed!
  • Stinger88
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    Thanks for subbing :D

Quick update. Here's the new Logo!!!

Now I can get on with the really important stuff like T-shirts ;P

Bort_font_01.jpg
  • Di$array
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 613 Replies
    Oh Stinger you've got some canny great work cooking up here.

I like your logo but maybe you could incorparate the jagged stalactites and stalagmites design you created for hell into the logo as well.

I'll be keeping an eye on this.
  • Sukotto
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 1.5K Replies
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Thanks for subbing :D

Quick update. Here's the new Logo!!!

Now I can get on with the really important stuff like T-shirts ;P

Bort_font_01.jpg

Are you all out of the Bort license plates?
  • konstruct
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    Oh man I really like those color studies. My only concern is if you are really going to push the concept of a fire/brimstone type hell, you might want to go with schemes that will look good with lava as that seems to be the iconic things down there. Thats not to say there cant be different areas in hell. A slime hell sounds awesome!
  • pior
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 6.9K Replies
    This is looking stunning!! And I am already in love with the slingshot mechanic. Great stuff, can't wait to play it!
  • Stinger88
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2.9K Replies
    Thanks guys!

@Di$array: Nice to hear from a fellow Geordie! (assuming you are). Yeah, I thought about making the logo more like the terrain but I decided against it. Having said that, when I showed the team the logo they suggested the terrain might look good if it looked like the Font! A bit backwards but I think its a great idea. See the results below.

@konstruct: I think a lot of the fire a brimstone will come into the lava levels when we add a heat haze and particles. The other palettes are for higher up areas of Hell (closer to earths surface) as Bort progresses. The slime idea comes from the punishment for Gluttony, "Gluttons are forced to lie in vile freezing slush, guarded by Ceberus"

Anyhoo, updateth ye or suffer thine Wrath...eth......

Since posting the new logo it hads been suggested that
    maybe the terrain sould curve a little as it does in the Font of the logo.

Here's the resulting test run using the cave palette scene. Please let me know which you prefer.

curve_comp.jpg

Gif comparison
    bort_curve_comp.gif
  • Paunescu.Daniel
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 148 Replies
    Curved, much easier to read (for me at least) it gives more detail and looks cooler :D
  • GabrielP
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 218 Replies
    Im a fan of Curved
  • Shanthosa
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 202 Replies
    Curved is cool, but I would love to see what both look like in motion.
  • konstruct
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 2K Replies
    CURVED!
  • Daedalius
    • Offline / Send Message
    • 47 Replies