Home Technical Talk

How do you work with UVs that are wider then they are tall? (Like 512x1024)

madmuffin
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
I'm having trouble working with doublewidth UVs. The relax tool only wants to work like the map is perfectly square, thus relaxing into all the wrong shapes, and when I rotate objects, if they were scaled properly before to the 2:1 shape, the rotation causes them to be way too tall and narrow now.

Sometimes I can get Max to work so the relax tool and UV rotations and everything works just fine with the new width, but I have no idea what I did to make it work and I cant reproduce it for the life of me. Any ideas?

Replies

• cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    While I'm not sure about Max-specific tools, in other programs you could just UV like normal in the 1:1 space (same ratio/etc as normal), and move other faces outside as if you were working on an imaginary 2:1 texture. Once you're all done, select every island and scale them in half horizontally or vertically as needed to fit inside the 1:1 square, apply the 2:1 texture and it'll correct itself.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    What I do is map to a square map, but utilizing -only- half the UV space (use either the bottom half or left half, whatever the orientation of you final map may be. The grid or a checkerboard-style map is useful here). Once I'm happy with the layout I apply a UVW Xform modifier with the U or V tile (depending on orientation) set to 2 to scale the UVs to use the entire space.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^ +1

The tools in 3dsmax aren't set up to work with a non-square UV space and will always behave oddly. I was hoping when they overhauled the UV editor the last time they would take care of that (and a handful of other super annoying things) but they didn't, hopefully they'll get to it at some point in the future.
  • Bunglo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bunglo polycounter lvl 13
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=87835

Same question, different thread, same info, more info, etc...
  • madmuffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    madmuffin polycounter lvl 7
    Lots of useful stuff. For the most part it seems like I just shouldn't try to work in 2:1 and only squish it at the final stage when its absolutely ready tweaked good to go.
  • pasha_sevez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pasha_sevez polycounter lvl 13
    If I plan to make UVs work with 1024x512 (for example) I simply pack the uv-shell in two nearest 0-1 squares and after that scale them all to 0-1 square. Works flawlessly and easily.