Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Wordpress folio

Joseph Silverman
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
I decided i needed a little bit of a web presence, so I whipped this up.

http://catkilo.wordpress.com

I would love some feedback on the presentation.
It's using a theme I found easily online, and I'm very open to theme suggestions or methods of presentation.

site.jpg

edit:

Does anyone have any critiques on the body of work? I know I tend torward unpolished/sketchy stuff, i'm trying to gradually switch over to work that's presentable for my current skill level.

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I like it so far. I'd make the header larger, etc. I've actually been thinking of switching my portfolio over to something similar instead of having a site and a blog. Just merge it all into one thing.
  • Oranghe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would love to see that level you made kickin around here, also some of your nice sculpts and 3D work is under sketches which some people may not end of checking thinking it's just an off cut section of your main work, the first page also feels like it's a showcase rather then latest posts is this more of a blog type or portfolio website?

Think it would make more sense to break things down into category's. I know you have been working in all areas and game development which is really exciting so you should show off all your skills!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I would love more!

jeffro, i actually have no idea how to make the header bigger! At the moment i know no css and very little about wordpress, and this is how the the theme came :(

Oranghe, thanks! I'm intending to break it up further into categories as I have more to show, but atm the front page is portfolio/showcase and the scraps page is everything else. I originally had the cat lowpoly and the woman sculpt in the showcase, but I got some good feedback from Marine in irc to put forward a singular focus. My lowpoly stuff will be thoroughly showcased whenever I've got enough game dev progress to warrant its own section.
  • David-J
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    also it would be nice to have a back button when you are in one of the images.
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VictorSantos polycounter lvl 12
    Pretty cool start dude, I love it.

I made my online portfolio with wordpress too:

http://www.theartofvictorsantos.com/

As David-J said it's always nice to have a "home" button to return to the main page. You can make pretty cool stuff under the limitations of wordpress but it's a powerful tool to make an online portfolio.

Keep it up! :)
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah I really love the modular concept you have there, lovely portrait as well. Really nice style.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

Victor, got any resources on css or wordpress that you used which you would recommend?
  • Jessica Dinh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jessica Dinh polycounter lvl 10
    Yay! Good that you've got a website going :) I like the Scraps|Sketches page a lot more than the Home page because clicking on an image lets me scroll through everything and easily click back out if I want to. On the home page, if I click an image, it opens up in a completely new tab which is something of a hassle for viewing, and the back button becomes unavailable.

Anyway, love your art, that modular mockup is cool, never saw that before :)
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    That is not bad at all man Nice and clean layout. I don't like that when you click on image it goes to a new tab/page.
    I am watching a free 3 day workshop exactly about WordPress websites. It is about photographers but it should be the same :) It is free while it is streaming online and after the class is over they play it again until the next day class starts.

here is a link : http://www.creativelive.com/live

Do you have your own domain and host or just using WordPress for now? I am also nob so i cant help much more :)
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This streaming class is cool! Nice overview, listening to it while i draw before work. Thanks man :)

right now it's just a wordpress blog, I'm weighing whether i wanna buy the domain or get my own hosting somewhere else. Probably the latter for customization reasons, but I dont wanna devote the time to figure it out this week. :p
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SupRore wrote: »
    Thanks guys!

Victor, got any resources on css or wordpress that you used which you would recommend?

Well, I didn't use any CSS or plugin I just "played" with the resources of the free wordpress I just pay for the dot com domain.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahh okay, thanks man.

So does anyone have any critiques on the body of work? I know I tend torward unpolished/sketchy stuff, i'm trying to gradually switch over to work that's presentable for my current skill level.
  • VictorSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the style it seems sketchy, I like that. I think it's a pretty presentable stuff for any level. :thumbup:
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    As far as content goes, it seems to me that you lack a sense of follow-through - most of your concept art is very sketchy and unfinished, and you have very little in the way of finished, presented 3d stuff.

I'm also not sure what sort of position you're looking for, and I think that's the death of a portfolio - it should tell me through the work what kind of stuff you do and what you want to do more of, and right now all I'm getting is a sense that you want to do character concepts but you are neither demonstrating strong, finished material and shape definition in most of these concepts, nor perfect anatomy.

If you want to do characters I would recommend adding something realistic and completely finished out, like a main character study from thumbs to variations to a final one with clothing/accessory options and a turntable or multiple views for construction.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys! Ghostscape, good advice, i'll work on fleshing out more work along those lines.

I WOULD LOVE MORE CRITS, i've made a few changes to the site.
  • Akamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Akamo polycounter lvl 6
    Alot of crit on the website has been given, and I also think it looks nice and is very easy to use.

Some crit on the work: I think you need to work on your legs abit (on human figures)! In alot of pics the legs seem to short / upper bodies too long. In some (leonbw, engineer2), one of the legs seems to be in some kind of distorted perspective. The upper bodies look great though, love the work on the robot (second on the page) aswell as your overall style. :)
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Add 3 completely finished, realistic anatomy (no anatomy hiding tricks, postures, etc - full frame character concepts) characters, one sci-fi, one modern day (civilian dress), and one fantasy.

Add 2-3 environments, fully fleshed out, at least to the level of detail of completion in this pic (background elements are reduced, not quite photo-real but finely detailed)
    WBqKN.jpg

Kill the following images, they are your weakest and add nothing next to the pieces you're keeping - in general they're either unfinished or have some wonky pose/anatomy issue:
    de_leonbw.jpg
    kite2.jpg
    misc_girls.jpg
    kallesti1.jpg
    aug_girl1.jpg
    engineer2.jpg
    hyena.jpg
    waster.jpg
    guard_skull.jpg
    run_gun1.jpg

The real thing though is getting some finalized pieces in there up to a "press release/wallpaper release/magazine print" standard - you have too many loose idea sketches and those are the "untextured AK47" of the concept art world.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton for the detailed advice, ghostscape!