Home Technical Talk

So how does diablo 3 handle their randomization of Weapons / armors / items

Hi !

Im wondering if anyone has any idea on this part. considering it would be a nag to model around a few milion models for the game.. how do they get the randomization for it.

is it say :
alot of different textures + different models ?

or alot of model parts + texture parts randomized..

i cant seem to get my head around it.:poly118:

Replies

• Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure there are millions of combinations of unique attributes not actual unique models.

Typically you just produce a certain number of weapons per tier, so a sword that has attributes that would be appropriate for a level 1-10 character will pick from say, 10 sword models that were made for the level 1-10 tier.
  • kodde
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kodde polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't played D3 so I'm just guessing here, but with some smart ideas you can get lots of variations by just altering certain texture-elements, adding different colored glows for magical properties, etc.
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    if you want lots of variations on models a few things spring to mind:

Multiple base models
    Morph targets
    Multiple tint areas
    Particle effects

wouldnt take too much to have just a few base models with assorted morphs for spikes, or curviture, or minor ornamentation, combined with a system of tinting different areas of the model based on some random value or some attribute of the weapon itself to make an extraordinary variety of shapes with relatively little overhead.
  • SimonT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SimonT interpolator
    here is an overview of their weapons

http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/game/