Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] Character - Stone

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
This is just a random character I'm practicing speed modelling on, so far its taken me about an hour to design and partially model this, not to say its rushed, I actually think its coming along nicely.

Here is the Concept:
stone_character_design_by_pushbombshell-d4gfvva.png

And the Model so far (now inc Wire):
wip_stone_character_by_pushbombshell-d4gfw1d.gifwip_stone_character_by_pushbombshell-d4gfw1d.gif
stone_wip_wire_by_pushbombshell-d4gj2wa.gif
and here are some wire stills:
http://imageshack.us/g/15/0007xx.png/

Any and all Crits appreciated,
Thanks in advanced,
Bombshell

Replies

• Hexidine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where it is going, would like to see it finished.
    only thing is, that I find the head a little square-ish although it's thta way in the concept.

Mike
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    this could turn out quite well!
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip_stone_character_by_pushbombshell-d4gfw1d.gif
    Update, I'm going to finish the hands, optimize the mesh for animation and begin UV wrapping.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    further update, UV's unwrapped (the pic above is using a simple AO bake), I'm going to rig the model up and see if I can get a nice running animation, then I'll texture it, I'm yet to decide whether or not I should make a normal map and specular map. I'm not so good at extra maps.
  • PaulP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaulP polycounter lvl 9
    Spec maps are simple enough, and are very useful. And as for normal maps, its just a question of if you can be bothered making a high-poly sculpt/model to create it from. I'd suggest going for both, they'll hugely improve your end result!
  • Scampbell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scampbell polycounter lvl 7
    i think you should texture it first so that way you will really be able to see if the texture is stretching too much when animating it just makes it that much easier to see how far you actually can push the animations. or if your set on rigging first i suggest throwing a checker map on for the same reasons. any chance of a wire-frame still.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusive polycounter lvl 8
    i like your concept, really simple yet stylized, looking forward to seeing it finished
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is the model so far, I'm making the base texture in Illustrator using the SVG blender outputs. after that I'll draw in the smaller details in Paint Tool Sai. So here is the model no lighting with texture in progress. I have also included a wire gif and some stills just below it.
    stone_wip_by_pushbombshell-d4gj31i.gifstone_wip_wire_by_pushbombshell-d4gj2wa.gif
    and here are some wire stills:
    http://imageshack.us/g/15/0007xx.png/
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture almost done, need to add in mini-details and fix a few seams.
    Anyone have any clues on what other maps I should use? And how to go about them? I was thinking for the normal I could just do a subdivision and help put emphasis on the creases and etc.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Concept is AWESOME. Execution on the model is really good.

you can do a LOT more with the texture. Spacey's work may give you ideas.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    since you mention that I'm making tweaks to the way lighting is shown on the map now, creases, folds, etc. I also need to redo the zip and pockets on the jacket, as well as pattern the hair, the face I'm thinking I'll use floating eyes so I don't have to mess with the heads geometry to get recognizable expressions.
    Do you have any tips on livening up a texture?
  • rorozilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rorozilla polycounter lvl 6
    I absolutly love the proportions of you character! i find it gives him a lot of style and edge!! I am really looking forward to seeing him all finished and animated!
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    I've started rigging the model, but I think I'll be needing help with the eyes, any ideas on how to make them look right? I could have them in the texture but I wouldn't be able to animate them to show different emotions.
    The texture seems to be coming along well, I need to tweek some bits but I'm enjoying adding the slight details. I've also decided not to use any other maps for the model, I'll keep it a basic diffuse, its faster to render and tbh I love the style, it reminds me of the PS1 platformers :D
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    You've got them on floating planes, right? If so, there's nothing wrong with that; it's what I always do, actually.
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, looking pretty nice, i like the silhouette, but i think you could push some details into your textures a bit more, just a few richer tones and some shapes painted into your cloth could help alot, bit of a rushed paint over but it demonstrates what i mean:
    po.gif
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Thanks for the suggestion, I went back over the texture and exaggerated some features. Obviously there is still more work to be done, but I think I've made a lot of progress with these simple highlights :P
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update:
    Half of the model is rigged, which is why the pose is not very exciting. I also felt like trying one of the other eyes. Anyone know how I can change them dynamically by changing UV-coords?
    Either way the body still needs to be rigged properly and so does the other half of the body (if the one hand looks odd its because I moved the parent to the arms so one of the arms isn't rigged but is out of place.

The leg, arm, hand and face all seem to be deforming nicely, no noticeably ugly stretches or folds. the hand needs slight work because it starts to shift the shape and fold on itself, but I know how to fix it, the head is particularly smooth when wobbling about :P

Any and all crits still welcome,
    Thanks for reading,
    Bombshell
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    honestly id say lift the sole on the front of the shoe instead of the back, it makes more sense
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
    What are your plans for this? In Unity, you can script objects to change their material to anything else, so you could do that for the eyes.
  • Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    plans? I'm making this for the sake of it. Maybe make a few animated shorts, if I keep piling up small projects like this I might pool it into a small platforming game.