Home General Discussion

BRINK Nerf gun

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
Hey guys, I normally wouldn't create a topic for this, but I remember a few people mentioning they like seeing real life projects on here, like Flaagan's car and so, so here goes... some real-life texturing :)

DSCF8473_out-500x334.jpg

here's the original for reference.

I've been wanting to do prop building for a while, and this was the perfect way to get started. I picked Brink guns because I work at SD, they look amazing and it allows for mistakes (my first try, right) + it's more interesting than clean ones.
I spent a few weeks sanding, drilling, spraying and soldering in my garage to get this done. Waiting for each coat to dry can take long

stuff:
-The LED flashlight and laser are functioning and have separate switches. Changing batteries requires it to be taken apart though. The electronics are by far the most expensive part of it haha.
-It shoots quite a bit harder than the stock gun because I took out the air restrictors
-There's about 10 kinds of paint on it. Really interesting to do the process you try to fake digitally when texturing, in real life. Some things are harder (like tweaking the specmap, requires different clearcoats), some easier.
-Looking at the unreleased conceptart at work helped me with ideas.
-This was a first test project, I've got some way bigger guns to do next.

more pics:

DSCF8452_out-500x334.jpg

DSCF8456_out-500x334.jpg

DSCF8471_out-500x334.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Replies

• Stromberg90
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stromberg90 polycounter lvl 11
    This is really cool, have been thinking about doing this myself, but guess I have to wait a few years :)
    Just wondering how big is it, cause it seams really small with the heavy dof in the pictures.
    And at my first look I am not a big fan of the yellow paint, but I might change opinion about that, and the white "kill count" stripes I think could do with some more wear seams really clean right now.

Hope you will make more weapon props, the bigger the better :D
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Awesome. I know this is a "games art" forum but, as an artist who is chained to my desk and digital media I love seeing "real" media being posted here. Personally, I encourage it and would love to see more on these boards. Even none game related stuff.

Thanks for sharing.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NEEDS MORE SCRATCHINGS AND TAPE!
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys, thanks.
    It's like big pistol really, not exactly small. The yellow paint is for contrast really, I agree about the white killcount stripes, might smudge them a bit more.
    Stinger, that's exactly why I do it, just working with my hands in the garage, away from the computer.
    Pedro: yessir! next ones will have more haha! Got an assault rifle and sniper lying around for that.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    MOAR bandages.
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipgatecentral polycounter lvl 13
    nerfguns modding is fun!
    Just finished my first, kinda rubbish but I was practicing mostly, next one should be better

nerfgun.jpg

also, a friend did this to his raider nerfgun, looks badass:

nerfmod01.jpg
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sweet, I knew someone else here would be into it :)
    I never posted my second one, it got onto Kotaku even:

DSCF8538_out-500x333.jpg

I want to start some other ones but it's so damn cold out here I can't work properly in my garage. I guess that's not an issue in SoCal though haha

How did you do the red/brownish tints? Airbursh ?
  • MainManiac
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MainManiac polycounter lvl 11
    You sir should sell these
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah man, saw that 2 days ago, amazing job, you definitely nailed that worn-out brink style

those Krylon sprays stink, no shit!

tried to get rust effect with airbrush, but mixed the wrong paints so it doesn't look right, I'll try something different next time.

Also, I tried to fake chipped paint effect, like real chipped paint over metal base, but failed, top layer fused with metallic coat and it was impossible to sand it without damaging the base. Know any good tricks?
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Slipgate: To do chipped paint paint your underlayer (the metallic) or whatever and let it dry completely. Then put on mustard. YES mustard in the areas you want the paint to be chipped up and then spray over your overcoat. The mustard will prevent the paints from bonding and will break off or wipe off once the other overcoat of paint is completely dried.

Also for some really nice shiny stuff this stuff here works wonders... Paint as you normally would and then small light coats of this stuff and buffed out with a nice smooth rag and boom!!

01.jpg

also if you are into more Nerf stuff check out

http://nerfhaven.com/forums/
  • slipgatecentral
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, that's awesome, thanks man, will do!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha, that's awesome, thanks man, will do!

yeah just test it out on small pieces so you can learn how much or how little to use... I've destroyed a lot of work because of new techniques...
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh yeah... you can also use salt... haha... another interesting method...

After the paint is dry on the bottom layer (i always use a harder drying paint (enamal type stuff)) and then when it's completely dry you can wet the area a little (wipe it down with a wet paper towel and sprinkle some salt on the area you want the chips... let it dry and the salt will stick to the surface and you can paint over with a softer paint (acrylics, etc) and when its dry you can gently wipe off the salted areas and it should chip right off... This can be done for smaller chipped areas and the mustard method I mentioned above for larger areas like along the edges of things.

Let me know what works for you and what doesn't...
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    That's awesome, Xoliul :D I'm glad you're enjoying looking at Brink's gun concepts... tell them to release it already :)
  • z0ltan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    z0ltan polycounter lvl 13
    These are awesome!:poly142:
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slip: I've been meaning to use the "Hairspray technique", think I might for my next project. So far I just paint chips on with silver model paint, but it's not the best method (or paint).

Tully: Thank you, very nice to see you drop by! There was talk about getting clearance from Bethesda to release some stuff, so it might happen in the future.