Home Technical Talk

joints that act like clusters (maya)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
Im trying to figure out the best way to create a rig which i can smooth bind to a model, but will alow me to scale The vertices associated with each joint independantly of the hierarchy. What id like is to ave a similar method of control that clusters would give me, but with smooth bound joints since this needs to be exported to a realtime engine.
Using maya 2011

Replies

• Warheart
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    If you make sure that the scale of each parent joint is connected to the inverseScale attribute of its children then you will be able to scale each joint independantly of hierarchy (this is the way maya sets up joints by default if you create the joint chain via the create joint tool).
  • MikeF
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    hmmm, doesnt seem to be doing anything different.

really just need a way to scale a mesh using joints but without having the child joints move out of place as i scale the parent
  • Warheart
    Offline / Send Message
    Warheart polycounter lvl 17
    Hmm yea they will still 'move'. Although obviously they're not actually moving in local space.

I think you may need to give some more details about the rig to get a good solution worked out. e.g. do you have any bits of rigging that you could constrain the joints to in order to stop them moving? Do the joints actually need to be in a hierarchy (is it a character rig or something else)?