Home Technical Talk

Zbrush - Scaling in one dimension?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
dirigible polycounter lvl 8
Hi, all. I have a seemingly simple goal. I want to scale a tool within zbrush in a single dimension. For example in the image below I have a simple cylinder seen from the side. I want to make it longer, ie stretch it out. How can I do this?

The Deformation pallate's Size slider would work, except that it uses a pivot point which is completely off and I can't reset it.

So I figure I should use the transpose tool. Alas, the transpose tool doesn't seem to stretch or squash. It only lets me uniform-scale or scale in 2 dimensions but not the third.

Any help? Surely this is possible.
scalederp.png

Replies

• DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    You are looking for initialize function.

Here is something that might help you indepth:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9S41-JMBqE&feature=related[/ame]

Good luck.

EDIT: Since you already tried using Deformation. While on Side view, Recreate the scale widget ( make sure you have the symmetry off) and while in the side view still, try to stretch it with the far red circle (I think)
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Initialize works fine for primitives, but the cylinder from above actually started out as an extraction from another subtool, so I don't have initialize option with it. I'd also like to be able to scale things that aren't primitive shaps.

This image shows what happens when I try to use the scale transpose tool.tscale.png
  • thinkinmonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thinkinmonkey polycounter lvl 15
    Hi,
    just use the Move Tool, set it and use it like the first cylinder (of the three below).
  • DrunkShaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DrunkShaman polycounter lvl 14
    Thinkinmonkey is kinda vague but he is half right. If you box mask everything but some what portion of the cylinder from the front while viewing it from the right side, draw a move widget like you did so, and move it. it will stretch straightly (make sure you press Shift to snap the widget to the center and have the x symmetry off). This might not give you a static topology of the cylinder but you will have it stretched (unless you are at level 1 sub division).

Good luck
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah that's what I've been using as my workaround. Unfortunately that technique requires getting a smooth gradient on my mask, which can be impossible/impractical for models without low subD levels.

I can't believe that zbrush is actually incapable of performing one of the most basic modeling functions. Does this bother anyone else?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Setup like you did in the first image but use 'move' instead of 'scale', no need for masking. Just take into account that it will move both sides of the cylinder towards the pivot point on the right of the line (if you are moving the circle on the left side of the transpose line).
  • dirigible
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oooh, alright. I didn't know that the move tool would work that way. That seems...odd. I'll just chalk this up to zbrush being quirky.

Thanks for the help, all.
  • The3DNut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    One way to do this is to go to Tool>Geometry>Size and scale on the axis that you want. I was just trying to squash a sphere and that worked for me.
  • Olka_mk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Setup like you did in the first image but use 'move' instead of 'scale', no need for masking. Just take into account that it will move both sides of the cylinder towards the pivot point on the right of the line (if you are moving the circle on the left side of the transpose line).
    Goddamn, thank you! Can't think of anything less obvious, than hiding a scale tool 'inside' the move tool.