Home General Discussion

Game Design Certificate - Worth It?

http://www.pce.uw.edu/prog.aspx?id=6540&tab=Courses

I was accepted to this ( doesn't take much ) but I'm not sure if it's worth doing. I probably know most of the design fundamental's they'll be teaching, and have made several of my own game design documents.

That said, I'm certain I'll learn something, and just interacting/getting to know someone who has done the job I want will be helpful. I imagine the contacts I make will also be helpful ( Like what happens at Digipen ) But will the certificate be worth anything to me??

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I'm somewhat dubious about it. I guess I'd compare what you'll get doing the course, vs what you'd get if you spent all that time constantly prototyping game ideas.. My suspicion is you'd get more from the prototyping, and you won't be out of pocket all that cash. And you'll have a few prototypes to show off by the end (much more interesting than a certificate)

I don't know about contacts, but if you keep making and putting out game prototypes, asking for crits and also giving them to other designers, you'll probably build up some contacts of your own
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Given the amount of progress and self development vs unearned hubris your Crimson Haze project has shown, I think schooling would benefit you.

I don't know that this is a worthwhile course to take, though. I'd look into Digipen, Guildhall, or worst-case, Full Sail.
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    I don't think the certificate will mean anything... but if you want some external factor to force you to finish projects (teachers, grades, peers) then it might be good for you. The worth of a game program isn't necessarily in what they'll teach you, but the environment and resources they provide you, so with that you can finish a project and expand your portfolio.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    If this is a State funded school and it's not terribly expensive I'd consider it. University of Washington? Sounds like a State funded school. Can't say for sure though since I'm not from there.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    how about trying to find a copy of the guys book(s) to see if he seems to be a good tutor and know his shit

this seems to be his mobygames page:
    http://www.mobygames.com/developer/sheet/view/developerId,698/
    I dunno if I'd consider it a blisteringly hot repertoire, but then mobygames isn't always complete or accurate
  • achillesian
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster wrote: »
    I'm somewhat dubious about it. I guess I'd compare what you'll get doing the course, vs what you'd get if you spent all that time constantly prototyping game ideas.. My suspicion is you'd get more from the prototyping, and you won't be out of pocket all that cash. And you'll have a few prototypes to show off by the end (much more interesting than a certificate)

I don't know about contacts, but if you keep making and putting out game prototypes, asking for crits and also giving them to other designers, you'll probably build up some contacts of your own

Yeah, prototyping small projects would probably help me more overall, but I'm not a programmer. I'm an artist like most of you guys, but I am primarily working on my art as a way into a design career. Supposedly it's a leg up over all the QA people that enter development companies and try to scale the ladder to design. There is no sure shot path to a game design job, (Everybody seems to have a different path to getting theirs) but I think this is the best route.

Is prototyping something with a design document and graphics/sound enough to gain notoriety or recognition? It doesn't seem like it. The only way to get noticed is to make something that gets dl'd a bunch on steam or an iPhone.

Maybe if I can make all the graphics for a game, and design everything first I can just hand it off to a programmer from there, I imagine its easier to find a programmer if the game is complete besides the programming.

I think I will do the certificate though, if nothing else it might get me some contacts, local people with similar interests. I'm also waiting to see if I transfer gets accepted to the UW for winter, and soon if I get the much desired Arenanet Internship. So if I fail both I'll still have a certificate to work towards at least :\
  • Snacuum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snacuum polycounter lvl 9
    Read everything on this page right here, that is if you haven't already, this man answers pretty much every question in relation to pathways in games design.

http://www.sloperama.com/advice.html

I read it and it changed my life. For the better? Who knows? But I certainly know a lot more about what I should try in order to follow games design.