Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Senior Project

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Anthy9986 polycounter lvl 7
Over the next couple months I am going to be working on a small factory inspired by the Magitek factory from final fantasy 6. Originally I was going to recreate it but decided the scope was too large and it would be better to make more of a twist on it.

So far I have roughed in the level in UDK and created an asset list of all the things I will be creating. I made a short video running through the level....[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDauGtUpdxY"]here[/ame]

I am starting with the basic textures that will fill the room and working up to the larger assets. My work flow has been to model a high poly version in Max and bake it down to plane. Since I haven't done a ton of this I wanted to start easy with the textures.

Here are some of my materials I have made so far.
CeilingTexture.jpg
FloorDiamondPlating.jpg
Grating.jpg
Metal.jpg

Replies

• Anthy9986
    Offline / Send Message
    I am currently working on the door for the factory but don't know how I should proceed with creating the texture for it. It is so massive that if I unwrap it onto a 1024 map lots of the detail is lost (The rivets which don't show up in the picture). I could mirror more items on the door but I don't know if that will become too repetitive. I was also considering separating out the different items with different material ids and just have tileable textures on them in UDK.

As of now I have the door being mirrored left to right and front to back. I could mirror the beams and support pieces but thought that might end up looking bland in the scene because of the size.

HPDoor.jpg

LPDoor.jpg

UVW.jpg

Also I didn't know if jamming the different elements together on the low poly and deleting back faces was an ok thing to do.

Hopefully someone will be able to answer these questions for me :)
  • cain3D
    quick question, in max there are premade textures of hexagons and metal groves in a pullout somewhere that you are using but I have not been able to find them in max11. can you tell me where you found them or did you actually just model them out and put them together?
    thanks
  • Anthy9986
    Offline / Send Message
    I modeled all the pieces... I'm guessing you are referring to the lattice look over my corrugated metal. I created a simple hexagon and arrayed them out welded the corners and applied a lattice modifier to it.
    I am not sure what premade you are referring to sorry I couldn't help :(
  • Anthy9986
    Offline / Send Message
    A couple shots of the scene in UDK. Lighting is really bad right now. Ultimately I want the scene lit with the railing and objects that will be in the center area of the map.
    I'm a huge amateur when it comes to composition shots and since I have so far to go idk if I should even bother concerning myself right now with it.
    screenshot.jpg
    Windows.jpg
    Crates.jpg

I plan on making alternate textures for the windows to break up the repetitiveness of it. Also the window can be removed and opened so ultimately some of them will be hinged open.
    Same goes for the crate. The spots need to be toned down and I have to come up with an alternative look for the crates so they don't all look the same.
  • Anthy9986
    Offline / Send Message
    Also the walls ceiling floor and concrete base don't match and need to be addressed. I can't decide color wise which way to go.
  • Anthy9986
    Offline / Send Message
    Haven't posted an update in a while. Lack of motivation mostly has made my progress slow. I have 3 assets left to finish (the ones that are grey). Looking back on it I wish I would have made the assets more modular when it came to the textures that is ok though I will do it on the next project. I think the center of the room needs a bright light to make it the center of interest.

Capstone04.jpg

Capstone01.jpg

Capstone03.jpg

Capstone02.jpg