Home Unreal Engine

StaticMesh acting the fool.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
This really isn't a problem I'm having at the moment, just some strange oddity I had earlier this week in one of my environments. Was wondering if anyone else experienced this.

So I placed a static mesh like normal into my environment. It's just a window sitting in a wall. No big deal, except whenever I bump into it with the player, it suddenly reacts with physics and tumbles to the floor. Unless I'm mistaken, only meshes designated as an InterpActor are able to have physics applied. So how the hell does some random static mesh suddenly react with physics? O_o I have around 83 separate static meshes in this environ so far, and only this one is acting like an idiot.

My first thought was that since I have a collision box around the window and the collision box on the wall itself completely covers the hole where the window fits into, maybe they are fighting and causing errors? But if that were the case, then the other windows that I have in that wall should be acting the same way. But they aren't.

I fixed this by setting the collision on the window to NoCollide. Still, very bizarre. I might try to delete then reimport the mesh when I go back in to work.

Replies

• Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the Static Mesh editor, uncheck "Can Become Dynamic".
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    My thougth would be that you've placed it as a kactor accidentially. When you select it does it display as 'staticmesh' down the bottom of the screen? you could also try right clicking on it and selecting 'convert to staticmesh'
  • Ouija
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If a static mesh is checked as possible dynamic, it doesn't need to be a KActor to react to being shot, touched or grabbed. It turns into a KActor at runtime, and acts as static until then.
  • odd_enough
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    odd_enough polycounter lvl 9
    Nope, that flag is unchecked, as well as any other dynamic flags I can see. Also not a KActor. I tried deleting the object from the package, reimporting, re-adding to scene (just like all the other meshes) and it still acted as though it was dynamic. I've given up on it and settled with setting it to no_collide. I guess UDK really hated that mesh or something.

I've added many other assets to the scene since then with no issues, so no idea what the problem is.

Thanks for the responses, regardless.
  • Lucas Annunziata
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lucas Annunziata polycounter lvl 13
    This was happening with a stair set of mine. I had selected replace with: then I think interactive foliage actor? Either way, I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what was going on.