Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cartoon Style Space Marine

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
kunglao polycounter lvl 18
Hey Everyone,
Here is my take on a retro 70's style Space Marine.
Wanted to go with a simple cartoon look for this piece.

Model is around 5900 Tri's with 1024 Textures-Diffuse,Specualar and Normal.

Modelled with 3d Studio max,Zbrush and Photshop.
Rendered in Marmoset 1.04

Had some teething trouble in getting the Helmet Transparency correct for Render,had to "print screen" as if I took shot (F12) the helmet became pixaleted.
Will figure this out (hoperfully weith some advice from here).

new1op.jpg

new2s.jpg

spacemariner4.jpg

spacemariner1.jpg

spacemariner3.jpg

spacemariner2.jpg

Replies

• imijatov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a solid looking cartoon-ish character. The guy definitely looks 70s retro, ready to blast on the disco dance floor. Reminds me of an asset, if polished more, that could be in the Ratchet&Clank universe (see captain Qwark). Really like all the screenshots you provided, makes it easier to grasp the overall sense of the character.

As for critiques, I would work more on the spec map. Right now, he looks glossy all over - which is something you probably don't want. It's very apparent in the face, how the specularity rolls across and over the eyes and lips. Also, the lower portion of his chin seems to be rendering out strange, perhaps a face normals issue? It might be more interesting if you added more normal map grain detail, kind of like you have in his hair. It also might benefit to add more wrinkle normal map information in his space suit, even if it is skin tight. Oh, and personally, I would drop that lense flare glow effect to the gun... Good work, overall!
  • Alemja
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja hero character
    I feel that the silhouette could really be pushed more to help give him a bit more of a cartoony feel, mostly with the straps and tubes which feel small and thin. Perhaps the helmet could be a bit larger too, it doesn't look like there is a lot of room for his head to move around Other than that I like the style you've got going on.