Home Technical Talk

Copying Set Driven keys

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
Hey guys,

I'm currently doing bone driven facial rigs for a few characters and I was wondering if it was possible to copy the Set Driven keys (that I use for my GUI) from one character to another with a similar bone setup? Obviously this wouldn't give me a perfect result since the characters are different, but I was wondering if this could give me a baseline to work off of so I don't have to start from zero for each character.

Oh and another thing: I have some animation on one of the characters where the helm opens and closes that I would like to turn into a slider in my GUI as well. Is there a way to turn animation into a control slider (is that a word?) using Set Driven keys like I have for the rest of the facial rig? To the extent of my (very limited) knowledge, you can't do Set Driven keys with animation on the bones, so I was wondering if there was another way or a workaround.

I'm working in Maya 2012.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anybody? I tried copying the keys directly but that didn't do anything :S
  • Damien_B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damien_B polycounter lvl 9
    Not sure, need to test this for myself. But, can you copy the sdk nodes in the hypergraph and hook them up to your alt skeleton?
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    My question is, how would I go about doing that, because that's exactly what I want to do, I just haven't found a way to successfully copy keys or the nodes from one skeleton to the next.
  • Damien_B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll have to do some tests as, I too am interested in this. I'll see what I can see, and get back to this thread over the next few days.

//

Its been a while since I dug into this stuff but to answer your second question about sliders: I would use sdk's sure. I remember having some luck with the component editor for that kind of thing. If I remember right, open component editor, select master (x-y-z) in left column, selct slave(x-y-z) in right column. and link or wire them. I'm sorry dude, been a minute. I'll look into this more and give a write up if no one else has responded.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Absolutely no need to apologize, I appreciate any and all help that you guys have to offer!

That said, I'm not sure what you mean by selecting a master and slave in the component editor, though.
  • Damien_B
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry again, I've been easily distracted lately, I meant to say the connection editor...You can select your "slider" as the master to drive your "slave" helmet anim. (if that makes sense)
    I'll get back here soon with a solution to the multiple skeleton sdk problem. Maybe someone else will chime in between now and then...