Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rubi Malone - Big Images

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Hey Guys,

So I built her over 2 years ago now. Only just getting around to showing it! I see quite a few problems proportionately with her, but its ancient stuff now and would like to just close this chapter and share it round so I can get back to finishing my FFXII Fran model.

rubi_malone_high_poly_by_hyperdivine-d461pth.jpg

rubi_malone_low_poly_set_1_by_hyperdivine-d469ltg.jpg

rubi_malone_low_poly_set_2_by_hyperdivine-d46gqq7.jpg

rubi_malone_low_poly_set_3_by_hyperdivine-d46ih72.jpg

Shes been built in 3 configurations, but no naked version booooooo!

I didnt ever build her guns or her swords or finish her hair at the time. But I'm going to mod a sword I had from one of my old characters, and Haikai has generously lended me his Desert Eagle to sit in her holsters and I think I will finish her hair.... but no gaurantees!

As always these are Max2012 viewport grabs using the Beta of Xoliul 2.0 and the viewport grabber script. I'll turn on shadows and whatnot on my final Beauty Render...

I'll have some wires and posed shots coming soon as well as the texture flats, ( posing her right now )

P.S In light of Adams recent post - Ask some fucking questions!

Replies

• chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Oh my god, you just rock with the ladies. You seem to be very comfortable with leather. Would you mind detailing a little bit about your workflow for texturing her jacket?

Great work, I love it.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Now that is looking sexy, always loved your work Hazard. Finish her, it would be a waste to leave her incomplete.
  • Skillmister
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Would be very interested in seeing the flats especially for the jacket
  • Xoliul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Sweet!
    Are you using a colored reflect mask texture to change the fresnel falloff color depending on material type?
  • gilesruscoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gilesruscoe polycounter lvl 10
    Hazardous wrote: »

How'd you go about doing the hair planes? They look pretty blocky in the clay render, do they not get normal mapped and textured, just stay flat black? The hair looks good but its hard to believe it would be as simple as putting poly strips there o_O Any wizardry involved?
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Sweet! Not too fond of the tat on her right arm though, looks a bit weird for a japanese tat. Then again, I'm picky about my japanese tatts. :)
    Now, can we see some texture flats, wires and bewbz already?

Do you btw always do the little bitty detail like that dragon's head in the texturing stage?
    Oh, and are the jacket/belt on seperate UV sheets? Pretty amazed at the texture density you've got going on here.
  • ScudzAlmighty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what's the deal here, was this just for kicks or we're you trying to make the guys at A2M feel bad?

Thirds on the texture flats, or at least some more detail regarding polycount and texture size.
  • daphz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    daphz polycounter lvl 13
    Did you photosource textures for the skin or is it all hand painted? great work as always too!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rubi_malone_low_poly_posed_wip_by_hyperdivine-d47bdc3.jpg

Work in progress of my beauty shot for my folio.... not done yet, but its 2:30am and im tired. for my final beauty shot im just going to paint her hair heh.

The gun and sword models are not Replicas from the game I know lol - Thanks to Haikai for letting me borrow his Desert Eagles!!

I forgot to mention, shes ranges from 13 - 18k tris depending on the config and shes using 2 x 2048 maps.

chrisradsby: Thanks man glad you like! Leather is one of those things i think is easy to overdo man, and i think youll understand what im about to say when i post up my texture flats, but basically its a fairly flat color, with some noise, and a leather pattern, with a spec map that really picks up the raised skin parts of leather, and doesnt show any spec down in the crevases, i think thats the key to getting nice leather. I know it doesnt mean much in words, im hoping the flats will show you what i mean.

Xoliul: Nah man, but that sounds interesting!?!?! I'll have a go at that!

gilesruscoe: Its just strip modelling - theres really no wizardry going on at all. I build a few strips of hair, and i throw them into zbrush and smoosh them around with the move tool, then duplicate and rinse and repeat until i get the kind of shape and randomness im looking for. THe hair is unfished in those shots above, this model is super old now and i didnt want to go back and put in a whole bunch of time.....

Maph: Thanks man! Rubi told me she loves her tatoo !! Yeah ill typically leave that stuff for the texture stage unless its a massive detail. Yup the jacket and holsters are on a seperate texture sheet - 2 x 2048's in these shots. Intended to be 2 x 1024 for ingame.

Scudz: Haha this is merely an old piece of Fanart :)

Daph: I never photosource my skin!!!! Well not since I started on my hand paint warpath. Its basically many many many layers of small noise brushes to create a kind of 'skin' feel, and once the base is down i start dotting some larger blemishes down and finally add moles and shit like that. I find fingers the toughest to get right because of all the wrinkles and junk so they look kinda shitty.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski polycounter lvl 14
    Another amazing female character
    I am going to make a new folder in my inspiration folder with your name on it. Now I have a question that might seem silly but any way .... How are the eyelashes done man?
    Is it just some splines and then you bake them to a alpha plane with some transparency? Yours always look awesome :)
    Thanks in advance.
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there, Troy
    When checking out your first post I was like, yeah she looks great but something's a bit offputting. But when you posed her, it kinda made for much-much better first impression. She came across much more as person and you didn't really want to look for proportional errors in her, so great job on the pose as well:)
    And, you know, though it's been years and there are things here and there that you'd probably like to fix, overall it still rocks the Hazardous-style quality, so I'm high-fiving the 2-years-ago Hazardous right now. High five!
    Btw, it was really useful to find out about your skin process, thank you very much. Seems to make a lot of sense and I will definitely try it out.

So, yeah, thanks for sharing and now Fran please.)
  • yodude87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yodude87 polycounter lvl 5
    :poly101:

awesome work bud!
  • Nizza_waaarg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nizza_waaarg polycounter lvl 15
    randy_jizzsmall.jpg

am i... am i doing it right?

not much to say man, really dig the posed version and how the skin turned out :poly136:
    +1 for posting more of yo fran model too btw, need those inspirations :poly142:

was gonna ask what you took the pics in but you already said it in your first post so... guess imma go learn max then >_>
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    crazy to think that this character has sart on your hard drive for about the same ammount of time that I have been doing game art.

Love your style as always, I think that my favourite part of your characters (besides the obvious :D) are the eyes...stunning stuff.
  • ErichWK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ErichWK polycounter lvl 12
    Man, I really really liked this game. I was bummed they canned the sequel. I always thought Rubi was kind of a cool character.

edit: You know..is it just me or are her cheeks bones and jaw more defined in the concept?

wet-rubi-malone.jpg
  • Kot_Leopold
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kot_Leopold polycounter lvl 10
    Hazardous wrote: »
    Did you start her out with ZSpheres or built a basemesh in Max?
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Hazardous: Cheers for the info! I do that too, just wanted to check I'm not a freak for doing so. :) Did you actually paint that dragon or did you nab it from the webz somewhere?
    As far as the tattoo goes, personally I would have gone for something more traditional like http://www.akiba4you.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Yakuza-Tebori-style-Tattoo.jpg
    But since I'm sporting two sleeves of oriental tatts myself, I'm kinda biased of wanting to see those done "correctly". :D
    Anyway, this still rocks mah socks though.
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Amazing work is amazing, your skills are simply breathtaking, sir
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rubi_malone_low_poly_wires_by_hyperdivine-d47f0hj.jpg

rubi_malone_texures_by_hyperdivine-d47exlv.jpg

rubi_malone_low_poly_posed_fin_by_hyperdivine-d47exib.jpg

So thats her all done.

Mad props to Xoliul and his 2.0 Shader - that shits badass - and TOTALLY FREE.

I keep getting PM's asking to share my 'render settings' when these are just viewport grabs. Aside from the dodgy hair paintover in the Beauty shot, all this stuff is caputured at 5000 pixel wide images and shrunk down in PS for some nice AA goodness.

I've gotten a few private messages from deviantart about my claims of painting the skin instead of using a photo - so I thought I'd clarify here as well. I use a very similar process to this metal texturing tutorial that someone linked in the WAYWO thread just a few pages back - I'll update this post when I find it again. You'd actually be surprised at how this layer upon layer upon layer of random brushes can end up mimicing just about any damned material you can possibly think of and look remarkably photorealistic without just slapping a photo down.

Basically once I've got a massive sheet of this raw skin like material, i pull up some reference photos and make note of where skins lighter, and where colors and tones shift around, and start painting color layers over the top according to where they should be, then I start adding in greens, blues purples reds / yellows and gives those noise masks and jumble those layers together in a really organic way. To be honest I just noodle using this method until I get something im happy with.

I take the same approach with my polypainting in zbrush, splashing shit down all over the place and working something out of it rather than tackle this shit in a scientific way - thats what makes it very difficult to document. Ill just have to get around to doing some screen recordings at some point when I get around to it.

disanski: Actually the eyelashes are this time actually modelled into place individually with planes, but i usually dont do that - i usually do exactly as you guessed, just paint a nice alpha and whack that on a nice shaped curved plane for the eyelashes :)

ErichWK: Heh yeah, I agree with you, she looks harder in the original concept art for Wet 1.

Kot_Leopold: I have a base mesh that I start all my sculpts from unless told to do otherwise ( for comps etc ) Although I think thats a dumb thing for comps to ask for because I dont see the point in building the same little blockman every time lol.

Maph: Thats a sensative question lol! PM incoming.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh turned out really nice man :) Thanks for taking time to answer those questions :)
    One little thing that could be improved in my opinion is the metal on the blades ( it does read as metal but it it s bit too wavy and perhaps the gloss on it is a bit too tight?)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    disanski: The metal on the blade is half Damascus half steel. There are quite a few looks to damascus but I've gone with a less folded version and a combined it with a stainless steel. Heres a couple of links:

http://www.epragueknives.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/i/m/img_9956.jpg

http://www.pattonblades.com/61511-1.jpg

Working with Damascus is freakin awesome, I want to try and do it one day.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh.. well right on then :) I was sure there was something to it and you did not just go over this but I could not see it very well from that last shot :)
  • Anuxinamoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anuxinamoon polycounter lvl 14
    You should show the face topo, since it only has very few stars :)
  • ceebee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ceebee polycounter lvl 14
    Dude dude dude this is badass, glad you've finished her up.
  • MiAlx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MiAlx polycounter lvl 10
    Dude, I love it, really awesome.. :)

EDIT: ah, question answered.. :)
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    she looks awesome man :) love the topology and attention to detail. Only thing bugging me a bit is her jaw and mouth. Shes got a bit of man-jaw going on and the indent under her bottom lip is giving me a bit of a goofy expression, might just be the lighting though, still looks F'ing fantastic though man :)

edit; this explains it better, ....hope you dont mind
    hrajpf.jpg
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    No offense about the paintover, but I thought the jaw made her look like Fairuza Balk, which I love about the model... :/
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed with snowfly, manjaw = character imo. I love seeing less typical faces on things, especially female characters. The paintover looks "hotter" but the original adds to the feel of the piece more.

Just my 2c, both look good so its up to Hazzard's preff in the end :P
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hehe sorry, I know these things are always a little bit touchey as beauty is always in the eye of the beholder. If it serves the character well then great :) she looks amazing already so is only a suggestion if you wanna sex her up a bit maybe
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Erotic_Small1.jpg

The only thing about this I dislike is the rip in the camo pants just below her (grenades?) on her right leg. Something about it just makes me feel unconvinced. And, not sure if it is illusion, but it looks like the normal map of the "jeans" go straight through the holes. As if her skin is textured like jeans. Wish I could help more, haha, but it is really quite wonderful. Great job!
  • Andr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent piece of art.

If I had to critique something it would be the curvature of the red shirt towards the bottom. It gives me the impression of the shirt being much thicker than it probably is made out to be.

However when looking at the shot with the shirt alone it seems like it's thick around each orifice; maybe it's supposed to be thick? It throws me off with the folds that are going on.

I am curious to find out if you use any specific third party unwrapping tools/plug-ins when you create your UV sheets too?

Thanks,

:) Love it!

- Andr
  • IxenonI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IxenonI interpolator
    hot.

thanks for the breakdowns
  • jocz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jocz polygon
    awesome job hazardous
    I'm a bit with crazyfool about the face, but she's nice like that too
  • Orb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Orb polycounter lvl 13
    I need to agree with crazyfool, about the goofy expression, this is the first thing i noticed on the pose, but as people said its her style, maybe less "hot" but more natural, even i prefer the hot one ^^". But exept that personal likes, I Just love the overall model, shaders, details, everything looks clean and nice!
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    This is a kindof big question, so i understand if you give me a simple answer, but i want to know about your workflow for defining a female face. How do you work to maintain softness in the forms, what kind of things do you think about when you're adding sharper details around the features? Did you lay in a rough 3d sketch first, or start from a strong base mesh, or what? I always like your female characters but there's so much strong, detailed form here without her getting any less feminine, i'd love to hear some musings on how you achieved/maintained that.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Better than the actual model that was in the game.

:)

Great jerb!

^_^
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    any chance you can show us your process for the hair, dude?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys appreciate all the kind words!

Crazyfool: THanks bro - I dont mind at all, in fact its one of the things I noticed when I opened the file bak up after a couple of years! I could get back in there and tweak around but I want to move onto finishing my other unfinished projects! dozens and dozens and dozens of sculpts and characters that are nearly finished / half finished and barely started.

Joopson: Eagle eyes man, I forgot to turn the rip layer on in the normal map WHOOPS! Thanks for that!

Andr
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    this is badass!! Love all the parts & pieces! few comments & stuff:

think her leg flesh is a little too red in the rips (shader?)

feel like the clothing overall is a bit too noisy/grainy. Being noisy everywhere detracts from the design, and is a little confusing to look at. Think some areas of noise would be great, but the clothing/accessories overall have a very grainy feel. Its all beautifully done, just think its a tad high contrast with noise & grain where the info could read just as textural lower contrast with some help from the spec & normal. The noise & uniform spec quality makes it a little difficult to tell the difference between cloth and leather too. This isn't not a natural way to approach spec, but adding some subtle color (blue is my go-to leather or rubber color) to leather gives it a nice pop off of other surfaces. The lack of noise in the flesh definitely helps pop it from other surfaces, but I think it may be too extreme :) The flesh looks amazing, just find the other surfaces somewhat lacking in that quality.

fucking love the hair & face... top notch f'in stuff man.

now, gogogogogogogo fran!!!! :)
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Moose: You badass - thanks for pointing all that out, I do agree with you too much noisy contrasty stuff going on and your right about that skin in those holes! Good idea about the blue spec for leather, I usually default to blue for skin, but come to think of it leather is skin.... I'll try it out on my next piece! Onto FRAN!!! YESS!!!

SupRore: Firstly a warning, this could get kinda creepy and weird but you asked for it. It’s too long I’m going to have to break it into parts. Get popcorn.

Tackling the Female Face part 1:

For any face that I'm about to undertake I do hours of serious 'looking' first. I look at photos and pieces of concept art that I find visually appealing. I spend time surfing deviant art, flicker etc etc for female faces and I often look back through my own massive image bank of female face reference photos.

This kind of serious looking I find helps in multiple ways, sometimes you’ll find new photographers, new artists that you like etc, also it gets the gears in your mind ( whether you realize it or not ) working, your brain is actually taking in all of those images, and the more you consume during this time that’s relevant the better.

I always tend to prefer the extreme photos, because I find every idea tends to ( at some degree at least ) get watered down and loose impact. My work suffers greatly from this, but im slowly working my way out of that dirty filthy grey hole.

What I mean by extreme photos is, let’s say you want to create a really wicked set of makeup on this chick - then don’t bother with just pics of makeup that looks average on a average looking chick, look for a chick wearing makeup that makes you go ' holy shit! ' that very sensation is the wave you want to be riding when your 'looking'.

You’re Moms Makeup:
    fall-ashley-olsen-400a061107.jpg

Holy Shit Makeup:
    eye-shadow2.jpg

Your mom’s lips:
    moisturize-lips_300.jpg

Holy Shit Lips:
    lips3.jpglips.jpg

You get the point....

Also without a doubt, every time I do this I pick up nuances that I like to try and capture that I didn’t see / notice before, it’s like a never-ending reward system that keeps giving the more you look and the more you put it into practice - its super addictive.

Once I'm through that stage I’ll get straight into sculpting in zbrush - I have a fairly average head base mesh that I use, it kinda looks like a generic and somewhat naive 'poser' looking head, though I think I will start to not use this anymore as I’m afraid my faces may start to look derivative over the long term and it’s always good to build things from scratch as it keeps your knowledge up and encourages you to 'go back to basics' as it were.

For the actual process, I ALWAYS start at a low subdivision and work my way up. getting as much as possible out of the lower before moving to the higher - I’ll always be jumping back and forward between these especially if I can push or refine something more.

It’s at this point I make the decision on whether i want to go for a more realistic or stylized approach.

Idealized Realistic:

tumblr_ld4fa9oaX51qfn0v1o1_400.jpg
    sexiest+actress+Wang+Xi+Wei.jpg

Idealized but Stylized Exaggeration:

haicoup-small.jpg
    Red_Sonja_Con_Sketch_by_J_Scott_Campbell.jpg

I tend to hover somewhere in between which seriously, isn’t a good thing at all and something I need to work on - but I think it’s been a necessary step in my evolution.

Once I’ve got a rough idea of the proportions and stylization of the face I’m looking for, it becomes a process of refinement. I'll break each feature down and work on it for maybe 15 min at a time, lips, eyes, nose, whole face, then lips, eyes, nose, whole face - always zooming right out and paying very special attention at the outset to the profile and the front view, once those 2 views are beginning to take shape, it’s all about giving volume to those features which is where you begin to focus on your 3/4 view.

When I’m working on any given feature I can’t stress enough how important it is to be constantly looking at it from every possible angle, trust me, you’ll find an angle it looks weird, fix it asap. Also aside from having your favorite sculpting matcap, get into the habit of constantly be changing it for inspections while you work, it’s like instantly changing your lighting and can really highlight problem areas with forms.

Once you get into this micro-building flow of constructing the face, you’ll see it all starts coming together - I keep doing this loop of lips, eyes, nose and the whole face ( relationship between all of them ) until I can see that its going in the right direction.

Your typical 'pretty' female face is the opposite of a male face, in that I mean you can keep adding and building up forms and cutting lines into a male face and it just keeps getting cooler and gnarlier, more weathered, more epic - a process of addition. But a female face is all about smoothing instead of chiseling, rounding out forms instead of defining them, it’s about adding strokes as mass, and then polishing them into a nice appealing shape - more akin to a process of subtraction. Yin / Yang etc etc

You can see particularly in a lot of the eastern games / anime etc where their male characters end up taking on androgynous and effeminate qualities, when they switch the principals from addition to subtraction for the males as well, you get guys that look more girly than guy'y:

korean.jpg

Western Fellas too:

tokio-hotel.jpg

You questioned your sexuality for a microsecond or more looking at that pic of Bill just above didn’t you, it makes you feel uncomfortable doesnt it! *evil laughter echoes* ....don’t lie.

Anyway, *cough* I digress:

Once the sculpt reaches a point where I know it’s going the right way, I stop and go straight into polypainting mode. I always start with the eyes - easily the most important part of any female character - get these right and it will light the way for the rest of the face. I absolutely always look up reference again at this point, searching for sultry Smokey eyed reference and or pieces of stylized concept art that hyper-realizes 'the look' you’re going for.

Remember again that all the reference I use don’t necessarily have to be images that I simply want to replicate, but the emotion or sensation of ' fuck that’s awesome ' is what I look for, and it’s in that, that I find inspiration.

I'll polypaint the face because at this point it gives me a brand new perspective on the forms and direction I’ve chosen. I usually don’t spend any more time than a couple of hours doing this - it doesn’t have to be fancy - just enough to reaffirm that I made the right choices. Sometimes at this point I can fuck it up and I realize I need to go back and rework some stuff. So I'll do that and then come back to the painting.

My Chun Li for brawl is a perfect example of how I reached a point and then went, nope I need to go back and do some more modelling from this:

cyber_chun_li_wip_9_by_hyperdivine-d3dpknx.jpg

To this:

cyber_chun_li_wip_10_by_hyperdivine-d3dstgy.jpg

Looking back and reflecting - I think I made the wrong choice and ended up tumbling down into the grey filthy hole I mentioned above and ended up pushing her to a more boring / grey area rather than running with the weird mousey stylisation and pushing that stuff even further. Hopefully I'll be able to break out of this in the near future.......

Once I’m happy with the polypaint ill often go into photoshop and start painting over a screengrab - playing with things like a matching hairstyle volume, eye makeup style, lipstick style and basically the colors of stuff to find something that I like. I hate to use this pic to illustrate because I really hate the look of this face now but its a good ilustration of what I'll tend to noodle around with at this point, in thise case some simple eye color completely transforms her persona:

Agent_Face_WIP_3_by_HyperDivine.jpg

If that all goes awesome, I basically go back to sculpting and attempt to realize the face to the best of my abilities using that same approach of moving from one area to another always remembering to jump back and see the face as a whole.

And that’s pretty much how I tackle the base sculpt for all my girls faces with some other random nonsense thrown in there to ponder :)

TLDR:

1) Do some serious 'looking'.
    2) Only pick extremes for your reference. Remember every image, whether its photographic or a piece of concept art should be absolutely biblical / epic and go as far as whatever style and subject you are working towards, can possibly go.
    3) Get straight into sculpting and creating.
    4) Break the head down into the lips, eyes, nose and the face as a whole and get into the cyclic rhythm of tackling these regions 15 min at a time each.
    5) When it starts to take shape, stop and jump straight into polypainting.
    6) Jump to photoshop and start playing with colors and makeup styles and choices.
    7) If everything is satisfactory, go back and refine your sculpt until your happy.

I'll write more about this in Part 2.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Awesome write-up! SupRore asked pretty much the same question that was on my mind, and I'm really enjoying the answer so far. It's already helped with my current project.

Thanks for taking the time to write it out, and bring on the next part. :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Wow Troy, that was super insightful! Thank you very much.
  • disanski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    :) this is so nice of you man. Thanks a lot.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantastic write up :) I need to do the ref thing more in my personal work. My female faces arent interesting enough :(
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    Hazardous thanks a ton for explaining your process man, very cool and very inspiring...cant wait for part two.
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome of you to take the time to write this up and share. Given me a lot to think about. Thanks a lot.
  • fuzzio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Similar to what Xaltar said, it was nice of you to write down on how you approach modelling/sculpting heads. I really love your polypainting on your chunli especially the eyes, can’t stop looking at them. Very good work I must say
  • Maph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maph polycounter lvl 8
    Hazardous, you sexy beast. You're my hero for writing that up!
  • vivin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vivin polycounter lvl 11
    whoa, I stumbled into this thread expecting some awesome art, but I also got some awesome thought process explanation~

Your models show how much you think things out, and take your time to get things "just right" and your explanation proves it =P

I definitely agree with the changing of matcaps while sculpting. Too often people get accustomed to their favorite matcap(usually because it makes their models look nicer)
    Quickly checking the model with the basic material is a real eye opener sometimes. But its great for finding any bumps in the surface (plus its interactive with the light, unlike matcaps)

Also, slightly off topic, but I remember your work posted on the Sumea forums(way back in the day). Your work was great back then, but you have stepped things up several notches since then. At least I think it was your work >.>

Thanks again for the write up _b
  • Scythe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    Thanks for the breakdown, that's fricking epic. Same about the matcap, because some have a cavity intensity too important, other don't, or light ain't the same direction. I usually rotate between 3 matcap that are totally different, and only one resembling human skin. I would love to know your process for making the alpha hair. Do you take a uv'ed plane and arrange them on the head or do you use sneaky trick like extruding edges along splines ? :)

Can't wait to read what's next, thank you~