Home Digital Sketchbooks

Sketchbook: Greg Mirles

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
GragGunslinger polycounter lvl 7
Hi Guys!

My name is Greg and I'd like to show off some of my art. I hope you enjoy it and maybe can give me some good feedback?

Thanks so much!

3D Model: The Holo-Adversign

This model here is a piece I'm making for a level.

It is an advertising sign that projects holograms that rotate around to report news or advertisements to the people of a far away (in space and time) city.

It was built in 3DS max, and this is currently the high poly, and I'm working on finishing up the antennae on the top and then I will do the low poly and texture it.

The concept was done by a friend of mine, who is also a new user to polycount. His name is ArcadeHero. I really appreciate the concept he did, and feel like it really works with the rest of the level.

I, of course will post more of the things for it as I finish them off.

Thanks so much!

-Greg

P.S: the little lines that are hanging down are wires that have come loose, I should probably bulk them up a little bit.

Adversign.png

Replies

• Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Greg, glad to see you posting.

Remember to exaggerate bevels in your high poly models, for the sake of reading well on the normal map. Also, consider where you are putting your detail, with UV placement and texel density in mind. I'm assuming the box in the middle is the size of the player? If so, I would focus on making the base of the tower more interesting and focus your detail down there. If no one is going to see the small cylindrical shapes you have towards the top, then they will probably not get a lot of UV space, and you'll have to adjust the detail you put into them accordingly.

Also, get out of the basic 3ds max gradient background habit as soon as possible. Seeing a default gradient ramp in the render just shouts beginner. Presentation is more important than most people think, and it only takes a few minutes at the most to composite your work in photoshop. If it's just a viewport grab, even a blank background is better, or use a scene effect to add a slight vignette to it.

Looking forward to see your progress man.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! I really appreciate that.

I'll try and work on the base more and update with that as well as fix my bevels.

I'll do up something for the presentation of the render. Do you have any tips for compositing the image in photoshop?

I'm gonna try and post another update tomorrow!

thanks again :D
  • Sean VanGorder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For high poly models, the quickest thing you can do is just save the render out as a png with the alpha channel box checked. That should knock out the background of the render and you can throw in whatever background you want in photoshop.

I know a lot of people like to add a very faint outer glow to the models in photoshop, to help them pop from the background. But it's up to you to come up with a presentation style that works for you.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hello again! I tried applying the advice you gave me to another prop I've been working on. This stasis tube.

I really liked making this, and I'm working on baking it all down for the low now!

Stasistube.png
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't posted in here forever...And I was ALMOST going to just scrap the thread and start over. but anyways.

Started a new environment, you can check out how it's going over in my thread in pimping and previews.

Comments and critique always welcome!

9N1Jj.jpg
  • gillmeister74
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gillmeister74 polycounter lvl 7
    The grating on the floor looks decent but the frame around it could use a tad more detail and attention. The crystal farthest back center has the best glow of the three, the others are a little overboard. Also get some more rocks in there! I know this is a wip that you just started, but I figured I'd say stuff. Keep posting man.
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Matt, I appreciate the feedback!

Here is another piece for that environment.

Wall_Panel_1.png
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Posting an environment I did last week:

Another part of the Heart of Ganymede series I've been working on. Hope you guys like it!

THKvX.jpg
    zuohD.jpg
  • allmighty_thunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    allmighty_thunder polycounter lvl 13
    you are loosing so much detail in the render as opposed to the detailed lighting. i would say try to make that pop. personally i love just the black and white, with just some color like and orange stripe would look pretty sweet
  • GragGunslinger
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little vignette I'm working on in the meantime...

8T2s2.png