Home General Discussion

QuakeCon 2011 Keynote

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
Carmack = Awesome.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zgYG-_ha28&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

Quakecon Highlights from toms hardware
There is no plan or team in place for a future Quake title.
The id Tech 4 engine (Doom 3, Quake 4, Brink) will be come open source "later this year."

Quake Live is a "business failure" - it loses money for id Software - but they don't plan on shutting it down anytime soon.

Doom 4: Will probably run at 30 Hz for single player, and 60 Hz for MP. Most of the Rage dev team will migrate to Doom 4 once the game ships later this year.

Rage 2 is going to happen after Doom 4, assuming Rage 1 is a success.

Rage will not have dedicated servers, and there will be no Eyefinity support at launch.

id Software currently has no Mac or Linux strategy.

We'll be posting more news as the weekend progresses, and we should have some id Software interviews to post as well in the coming days. Stay tuned!

Replies

• Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    I want to have his babies...
  • xvampire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xvampire polycounter lvl 14
    I feel like teenage girl screaming to edward cullen now
  • glynnsmith
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glynnsmith polycounter lvl 17
    I didn't understand most of what he said in the last 40 minutes.

But I listened anyway.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    No dedicated servers? Goodbye Id.
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    Well, dedicated servers don't really work for a coop game. I wouldn't call it a conclusive shark jumping in RAGE's case...

though since the whole Zenimax/id thing, the linux/mac business has been a back seat though
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    leilei wrote: »
    Well, dedicated servers don't really work for a coop game.

l4d
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Really liked the part when he mentions keeping a mistake log to keep track of his own error patterns. Extremely inspirational.
  • R3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    R3D interpolator
    Really inspiring stuff!
  • Bal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bal polycounter lvl 17
    Such an honest guy, always great to hear him rant. I'm looking more forward to Rage than I was a few months back, should be a fun shooter.
    Ganemi wrote: »
    What about mf'ing ET:QW and Prey, the most interesting of all of them? *giant sigh*

Well the Prey stuff isn't really theirs to give away really, and the base is the Doom3 engine anyways.
    And from what I understand ET:QW is some mix of ID Tech 4 with some early mega texture stuff from ID Tech 5, so it's not so surprising that he won't release it so early, when Rage isn't even out yet.
  • thatanimator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thatanimator polycounter lvl 6
    glynnsmith wrote: »
    I didn't understand most of what he said in the last 40 minutes.

But I listened anyway.

same,
    can't get enough of his voice in my brain!!
  • leilei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leilei polycounter lvl 14
    I understood. It was mostly :

- theories of megatexture and compromises to get it going on consoles
    - caching a megatexture
    - his mic has a bug
    - The idea of exploiting Intel's onboard for more direct memory access to memory for performance
    - a proposal to return to PC-side engine experiments in updates, in relation to the old unsupported updates such as GLQuake from back in the day for being an experimental playground (GLQuake had introduced rudimentary mirrors, shadows and translucent water, BTW)
    - Video card drivers being evil (acknowledging the GLQuake extension string buffer crash workaround)
    - Bringing up the importance of a readable foundation in code to be warningless, then mentioning lines of Quake code still in modern games (Anything Source engine pretty much technically)
    - Being old, but unsentimental about his past code
    - Doom3 source coming after Prey 2 (though, Q3's source was released while the engine was still being licensed i.e. THE COD SERIES)
    - The encouragement of other companies to open their sources and saying how good it was for them
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's like a bad day suddenly turned good from listening to Carmack!
  • r_fletch_r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    r_fletch_r polycounter lvl 9
    I get most of what he says at some basic level, its the stuff i dont get which is quite often the interesting stuff. Allways something new and interesting.
  • vargatom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He even makes a small joke about Euclidean (something like he should release a demo with infinite details) but noone in the audience seemed to get it...

What's also interesting is that the entire talk seems to be a totally continuous train of thought, and yet he still doesn't seem to unintentionally wonder off or skip stuff he wanted to talk about.
  • leslievdb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    The way he can keep things interesting while going into some serious technical details is just amazing. That's a man who loves what he does and shares what he knows.
    tnx for sharing :)
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Nice watch. Damn I owe this guy so much!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I just realized that John Carmack gives me Carl Sagan shivers. Good stuff :)

Like Varg said, I really enjoy the train of thought nature of it. On top of that it's really nice to see that he genuinely thinks about what he is going to say before opening his mouth (eyes looking up). It seems like such an obvious thing but it is so refreshing compared to all the "PR driven" speeches and announcements we are always served on TV, online, and so on. Carmack should give a TED talk!

I really cannot wait to see what will come out of his content creation optimisation experimentations. I kinda hope he'd start working on a Zbrush/Mud killer ....
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    oXYnary wrote: »
    No dedicated servers? Goodbye Id.

@oXYnary

At the 20 years of id panel the next day, they ( carmack, willits, cloud and hollenshead ) went on to say they plan to continue to do "multiplayer" correct and that there would be dedicated servers with id games.

There was lots of applause...