Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[source] Modular multi-purpose tileset

I'm using Source because i have 5+ years of experience with it and honestly don't want to spend several weeks/months learning udk or crysis. [aka lazy ^_^]

I'm using Alien swarm as its the only source game where a scifi-esque modular tileset makes any kind of sense.

Some of the stuff i've done till now.

brushwork section.
th_test_020001.jpg

brush to model section
th_test_020002.jpg

AO bake seam between models.
th_test_020003.jpg

Todays re-modelling of the above section.

Latest remodelling of the main section. The walls are intended to be concrete blocks, the holes for texture detail and possible places that were used in the transportation/manufacturing process of the concrete blocks. on second thought, they're not beveled enough...>_>
Cylinders on the arches are supports for the horizontal floor that gets laid out ontop of them.
currently 3x 512 sections. whole width is probably around 640, but i'm less concerned about that than i am about the walkable width.
512_wall_a_render1.jpg

With a makeshift floor (which actually doesn't look that bad...) and the white rectangle is the approximate size of the marines in alien swarm. each floor plate is 128x128. I will be using existing railings.

Also fixed the floor support cylinders to be the correct distances apart.

512_wall_a_render2.jpg

Hmmm...those walls don't actually look tall enough...

meh.
512_wall_a_render3_blah.jpg

C&C welcome. :)

Replies

• re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    corners with a temporary layout to test modularity. Ideally, light orange, blue, and khaki sections would all use the same texture. I removed the holes in the corners due to squashing effect. corners made using bend modifier and a slight manual editing to get the vertecies on the grid, or wthin 0.001 units.

blue convex corner is 256x256, khaki concave corner is 160

I'm going to have to rethink the whole floor concept because its not working with me at the moment.

click for even larger image
    512_wall_a_render4.jpg
  • LATTEH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    why not spend the time learning unreal editor. once you learn it you'll love it! trust me
  • Miller02
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LATTEH wrote: »
    why not spend the time learning unreal editor. once you learn it you'll love it! trust me

Agreed =)
  • dang87
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dang87 polycounter lvl 12
    Same here. This industry is constantly changing and we must adapt and learn the new things that come out.
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well thats the thing really, i'm not intending to go into a professional career*, as this is just a hobby of mine. :) However, these forums have inspired me to improve my skills, and this is a little project of mine to apply some of these skills onto something more than a 20min test model.

i'm also using source/Alien Swarm because i want to make a campaign for it**, and push the use of props in the engine to their limit. Sort of Like an experiment into seeing how far i can go without encountering a serious problem.

Thats not to say i won't look into udk, i just don't have a strong enough reason to invest my time into learning a tool (that i can't use for a game i like, unlike l4d2, tf2, etc.)

minor update. That wasn't as difficult as i thought it would be. Now to work on the actual walkable surfaces...
    th_512_wall_a_render5.jpg

*Yet, anyways.

**yes, for this free source game that no one plays anymore. :p
  • re.wind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    burp. Need to work on seams and blue corner section. walkway height also needs some work.

512_wall_a_render6.jpg
    512_wall_a_render7.jpg