Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Warrior Female Bust

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Illusive polycounter lvl 8
So I thought it was time I attempted a female character and thought i'd start with a bust to start with, CC welcome.

render1hy.jpg
render2a.jpg
render3i.jpg

Replies

• dogzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dogzer polycounter lvl 8
    I personally love this a lot! She looks alive, and real!
  • sbnewsom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks great, but the only issue I have with it is that the breasts look nothing more than just lumps under the skin. They lack weight. The bottom of the breast(s) just are too smooth with no folds or sagging. It makes the piece look fake, despite how much of a good job you've done on the overall piece.
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    sbnewsom wrote: »
    Looks great, but the only issue I have with it is that the breasts look nothing more than just lumps under the skin. They lack weight. The bottom of the breast(s) just are too smooth with no folds or sagging. It makes the piece look fake, despite how much of a good job you've done on the overall piece.

Gonna have to agree.

Fortunately, there is no shortage of reference for breasts on the internet. :poly121:

The only other thing I would suggest is the body paint across her collarbone looks a little 'decal-ish'. It doesn't look quite as paintlike as I think you were shooting for, to match the line across the eyes.
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the advice guys, i see what you mean about the boobs, i was trying to go for a less is more kinda deal but i def went overboard with the smoothing.

i've done a quick redo of the paint, changed it to a bloody red which i think looks heaps better aside from that slight uv stretching over her shoulder which i'll fix up a bit after i rework the boobs.
    render1k.jpg
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    I agree with garageBay about the tats/paint across the upper chest. My first thought was "Man that white outlining would be a bitch."
    Hair is a bit on the lifeless/plastic side. Nice overall form, but its not shining like hair.

The lebret piece is of a much finer metalworked quality than anything else she has on. It instantly reads as modern rather than fantasy warrior woman.
    Face texture is noticeably lower resolution than the circlet and some of her other accessories. It appears heavily or totally photosourced. Not a bad thing by itself, but the blur to it makes it appear even less retouched.

I like the arm skull thing, and the style choice of top is certainly fantasy-sexy. Though I'm not sure what material it is supposed to be. Depending on the shot it seems to shift between leather and cotton.
  • Hofsta
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It looks pretty good overall, but i think she looks a bit to nice/soft/clean to be a warrior woman. I would revisit the original piece and maybe check out more of Louis Royo's work to really nail the feral killer babe look.

http://www.wallcoo.net/paint/Abraxsis_Heavy_Metal_2007_Calendar/images/abr_heavy_metal_2007_calendar_09_luis_royo.jpg

As for the skull thing maybe make it more metallic. Its reading as bone now but sort of plasticy.

Great start though dude, looking forward to seeing where you take this!
  • Illusive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ valiias: yeah hence the whole fixing of it.. it was originally done that way to have the outlines on an emissive which would imply "magic-like". don't know what you're going on about with the labret (much finer?) i'm pretty sure they have labret piercings in fantasty and yes also in tribal cultures dating back hundreds of years ago..
    i see what you mean about a few of the materials not reading well so i'll revisit those

@hofsta: yeah this wasn't originally going to be a l.royo piece it just sort of happened when looking for design inspiration. therefore i'm not gunna be dramatically changing the model this far in but i'll consider that in the future.

As for the skull I was going for bone for that piece. I had a metal material on it before and I didn't like it as much as bone but i'll play around again when I get a chance
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    @illusive: Fair point with the labret. Looks like its more my initial exposure to the piercing than anything historically accurate.
  • defpixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    defpixel polycounter lvl 10
    Hey man, looking good for your first female model.
  • chrisradsby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    Her face is kind of stocky and the arms look a bit too thin for a warrior-type female ;) but great work nonetheless! :)