Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Alberto Rdrgz - Can I put this in my Portfolio?

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Alberto Rdrgz polycounter lvl 9
So I got super tired of working on my current project, and wanted to get away just for today. I still wanted to do some work tho, something to kinda flex my "art muscles", so i decided to mess around with some pieces in UDK. This is what i ended up designing, It's a Sky Freight, i don't know i was kind of thinking of flying train high in the atmosphere...

here's what i mean :)

also small disclaimer, THESE ARE NOT MY PIECES BUT PIECES OF EPIC GAMES.

SKY FREIGHT A-87

02.PNG

01.PNG

03.PNG

04.PNG

05.PNG

07.PNG

06.PNG

EDIT:

Forgot to ask could i use this in my portfolio???

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    if you mention all assets belong to epic you could put it in there... but I don't see why you would want to...
    Its not impressive that you can put lego pieces together.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm with ZacD on this. Maybe in some really obscure way it conveys that you can take premade assets and find good reuse for them...but really, I don't see how you can get a positive reaction from it on your portfolio, once somebody realizes you didn't make any of the assets.

But it does look pretty :)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha K cool, i was just trying to be lazy :)
  • SouthpawSid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouthpawSid polycounter lvl 7
    agreed with the two above. I've seen you modeling on your other thread. You have mad skill. Your portfolio will be that much more dope in the end once it's all your work. Just be patient, and keep kicking ass in your personal stuff.

on the other hand, doing these as a sort of engine practice with lighting and the overall functionality of the engine is NEVER a bad idea. Just not something you need to showcase.

:)
  • Alberto Rdrgz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah i think what im gonna end up doing is doing a paintover this and recreate it with my own pieces. so i'll use this as concept.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    I block out scenes with udk props and replace them with my own, its great for being able to visualize the scene and gives you a great starting point.
  • Grimmstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grimmstrom polycounter lvl 7
    Sometimes I quite like to see stuff like this in portfolios as long as its clear that there not your own assets.

In my experience just because your environment artist in the industry, it doesn't mean you'll be constantly churning out assets, You'll quite often be doing other jobs such as placement, level design, lighting, scene polishing and editing other people assets. Often you'll be trying to make scene look great even if there's assets in there that don't look that great.

Your scene above shows all this and as far as I'm concerned I don't really see it as a bad thing.
  • EVIL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EVIL polycounter lvl 18
    ^
    True, but a portfolio is a showcase of YOUR work. Its unnecessary putting it in your portfolio, and it will most likely confuse future employees. If you have a 3d environment portfolio, its very unlikely that you don't know how to build a scene with prefabs.