Home General Discussion

Sci-fi object library idea

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
Hi all! I am thinking on starting a sci-fi prop and detail object library. It will consist of floating geometry like screw heads, cable sections and other interesting sci-fi looking object. I’ll make the sort of objects that can be used in sci-fi projects in making floor panels, wall panels, and other objects that might need a sci-fi look to it. I’m thinking of making categories. Here is where I need some help. What categories should a library like this contain? What number of object per category would you find satisfying in a library of this kind? I personally think that 40+ would do nice. No? Would you pay for a 40+ per category sci-fi library of this kind? I’m asking because I do want to share them at the end, either in paid form or free, or maybe a free standard pack. Let me know what you guys think about this. I will follow up with some polls after I see some ideas. At the moment I just want to see if there is interest or a need for this kind of stuff beyond my own of course.

Replies

• [HP]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [HP] polycounter lvl 13
    I think every decent / experienced artist here has it's own library of reusable / generic meshes like floaters, and it's wise to spend a few time improving it, I like to call it "Gribble Library".

You'd need something like cylindrical meshes, bolts, grates, vents, pre-made pipes, etc.

If I would pay for it? Mm... probably not but I bet a lot of people would grab it for studying purposes (I personally enjoy to study other peoples meshes / workflow)
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    we had a thread around here somewhere with just that.. was a spin off of how you make dem shapes or sumpin
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Making a library of pieces like that is always a good idea.

Personally, I wouldn't pay for it, most likely. If you made these pieces all modular you could maybe get away with selling it in the Unity Asset store?

I think it would be tough to sell to other artists on polycount. Speaking for myself here, but why would I buy your stuff If I come here to practice mine?

Its more likely that you will find people making games in Unity with no artistic talent who do the code side of things and look to the asset store for things to use.
  • Ace-Angel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ace-Angel polycounter lvl 12
    You could hit it up as a secondary store for Unity, Shiva, CE3 and UDK. There might be guys who want to block out a detail work of their scene or as Gsokol said, programmer who don't have artistic skill, so such a thing will be handy for them.

In polycounts case, it wouldn't work because many of us like to know our own assets incase we need to revamp them or fix them up.
  • Ben Apuna
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're still thinking of doing this Luxology just released a sci-fi themed Model Bashing Kit for Modo.

You could take a look at that to see what they've done vs. what you want to do and pricing.
  • SsSandu_C
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SsSandu_C polycounter lvl 13
    Hey [HP]! Thanks for the response. I added your category ideas to my list. :) Yeah i guess most artist are working on their own library and objects to help them on their projects. I think this might appeal to people that are just starting. Anyway I’ll see as I go what I’ll do. Thanks again and good luck with your Eat3d challange piece. I took a peak and it looks awesome. :)

Jeremy Lindstrom: Hehe :) yeahh it’s called the How u model dem shapes? Hands-on mini-tuts for mechanical sub-d AKA ADD MORE GEO...

Gsokol: Thanks, I’ll check out the Unity Asset store. 70-30 sure sounds good. :) Yeah you are right that most people on polycount might not be interested in buying this. If I do go for selling them I will sell it through a 3d model selling service website like 3docean, unity asset store and such.

Ace-Angel: Thank you! That’s a good idea, I’ll keep that in mind. :)

Ben Apuna: Thanks for the link. That's a smart idea. Thanks again :)