Home Unreal Engine

Control over Landscape material blending

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
chris89 polycounter lvl 10
Hi you guys,

Been a while since i posted, but i've got a question for all you smart people out there.
I've been trying to make a material for the new unreal Landscape sytem that makes the transition between the different textures a bit more irregular and less blurry/fade-y.
Kinda like this: http://www.laurenscorijn.com/vertex-blending-snow.html

Problem is.. i can't get it to work :( Usually you'd alter the vertex color information by a bitmap, but it seems you can't access the masking information for the landscape in the material editor. I tried different lerps between layers with masks mapped either to the landscape or the world coordinattes, but to no success. It always ends up being tiled all over the layer (which makes sense).

Any ideas how you might tackle this? Any workarounds? Dirty tricks?
Thanks

Replies

• sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    chris89 wrote: »
    Problem is.. i can't get it to work :( Usually you'd alter the vertex color information by a bitmap, but it seems you can't access the masking information for the landscape in the material editor.

ok I figured out a way to do it.

What you want to do is use terrain layer nodes as the mask texture for a lerp between the two materials.

The simplest example would be to have two terrain layers, one black, and one white, then feed that into the alpha node of a lerp. You'll need to component mask the layers to make them into a float 1.
  • chris89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chris89 polycounter lvl 10
    Brilliant! Switching around the way to use the terrain layers, And it works:

264n8mr.jpg

Thanks sprunghunt !!! I owe you
  • King Mango
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King Mango polycounter lvl 10
    Between two materials? Or two textures in a terrain material? And after asking what will be certainly answered in the OP link, I'm off to read it! :cheers: