Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized stone structures? Need some sclupting advise.

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
I've been playing around in Mudbox with a stone structure. I'm trying to go for a a stylized look such as Orb's work on Crasher:
http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1321690#post1321690

I've only done a first pass using the scrape brush; I still need decorative detail and chips, cracks, etc. But do I have the right idea, or should I try again?
nw_wip1.jpg

I've gone over the wiki pages, but they tend to focus on rocks rather than structures. I guess I could have missed something though :/

Replies

• Aigik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This has the potential to be a great thread. I'm working on the same thing right now- an ancient ruins scene, and some tips from the masters would be much appreciated. I too have the basic scraping the hard edges down, but it's the small details that I can't figure out how to look right.
  • throttlekitty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea, but it doesn't quite read stone yet. Maybe its just the outer stones glued on doing that? The detail work should also be stacked into the main structure.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the idea, but it doesn't quite read stone yet. Maybe its just the outer stones glued on doing that? The detail work should also be stacked into the main structure.

Are you talking about the harsh seam between the two different colors? I could work on that, it's separate geometry so I'll just chip up where they meet a bit.
  • nordahl154
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nordahl154 polycounter lvl 9
    Great, you've got the low frequency details down! Now you need to work on the high frequency stuff. You could use alphas, or whatever Mudbox does for the tiny details.
    Wish I could say more but I haven't used Mudbox in a long time...
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies. Here's an update:
    nw_wip2.jpg
    Any stylized sculpting advise would be appreciated!
  • Habboi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Habboi sublime tool
    I like the gold but personally I think the gold sculpts at the front need a trim around the edge like the gold on the inside section. I know you're not finished so maybe I'm stating too early but the grey needs some sort of detailing as well. Keep it up.